Looking For a New Start Page (Again)

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm looking for a new start page again. Any suggestions?

My current start page is Google News but seems like lately, often when trying to pull up with Firefox, a delay message comes up saying something like a website is making things slow, do I wish to wait or stop it. This is recurring.

I suppose, one option is to switch browsers, but I don't want to do that as I've grown used to Firefox.

As a start page, I'm just want a news page that doesn't bombard me with too many tiles as news stories. Seems most sites like to give tiles instead of text headlines. Okay for smartphones, but my computer is not a smartphone :facepalm:.

easysurfer,

check you are not being crypto-jacked on that page

i prefer Opera as a browser ( and that is heresy for a Linux fan ) but it just works 'good enough ' for me

i do have FF as an emergency back up just rarely use it

easysurfer,

check you are not being crypto-jacked on that page

i prefer Opera as a browser ( and that is heresy for a Linux fan ) but it just works 'good enough ' for me

i do have FF as an emergency back up just rarely use it

I really don't think I got crypto-jacked as reading, seems like the message is just something from Firefox. Fairly common, but not a simple resolution that I've found.

But I'm running Malewarebytes anyhow, wouldn't hurt.

My.Yahoo.com uses headlines, not tiles.

Will have to give My Yahoo a look. Used to be, yahoo news was the way to go til things got more tile like.

Decided to just use Yahoo News as my start page for now. Page seems like a compromise between headlines vs tiles. I prefer headlines but beggars can't be choosers :blush:.

I use http://www.reuters.com/ as my first tab of several, including Google news. The "Real Clear" pages, like http://realclearpolitics.com/ are pretty much all titles of news and opinion articles. I hardly ever read one, though, because just by looking at the web page or newspaper name I know what side of an issue they will be taking.

I use http://www.reuters.com/ as my first tab of several, including Google news. The "Real Clear" pages, like http://realclearpolitics.com/ are pretty much all titles of news and opinion articles. I hardly ever read one, though, because just by looking at the web page or newspaper name I know what side of an issue they will be taking.

Yes, reuters is where I go when I want real news instead of entertainment sprinkled in with news occasionally :popcorn:. But as I said in a different thread, I can only read so much reuters, as IMO, that feels like going to the library on a Friday night.

Haven't heard of realclear pages. Will have to give a look.

Update: Just took a look at the realclear pages. Yes, that is the format I like on a site. Good old categorized and then links to articles. Would like more of general news instead of geared towards politics, the formatting is done right. Thanks as I'll have to bookmark.

Last edited:
You don't go to the library on Friday nights? Jeez.

I use Chrome and my start page is the Google search page, which is what I want about 90% of the time I open a browser. More frequently, when I open a new tab, I have a Chrome extension called "Home - New Tab Page." It's got notifications, calendar reminders, a to-do list, a big clock, weather summary, 20 tiles with links to apps and/or web pages of my choice, and a place to open recently closed tabs. Behind all this are some of the most beautiful photos I've ever seen. Really nice and useful extension.

I'm reading with interest!

I have been using Reuters, which seems adequate. It always comes up right away, which for me is one of the main functions of a homepage; to see if the internet is working or not.

Also it does not blast unwanted sound from an unwanted video at me. That is just unacceptable to me.

With homepages, there is always room for improvement.

Interesting.

I simply have a blank "start page". Since I leave my Mac turned on and safari is always running I don't often open a new window for browsing. If I open a new tab it's usually to go to a specific site which I either get to by clicking on the favorites bar or typing some text into the search bar.

My problem with Yahoo (which is mine) is that it does not seem to update the articles enough... there are times I can look 8 or more hours later and see only ONE new news story on the front page... I know there is more news out there, so why is it so slow to post them?

I use Google search page for my home page.

Interesting.

I simply have a blank "start page". Since I leave my Mac turned on and safari is always running I don't often open a new window for browsing. If I open a new tab it's usually to go to a specific site which I either get to by clicking on the favorites bar or typing some text into the search bar.
Me too, on all accounts. I started using a blank start page because I never know what I'm going to want when I open a browser, so why take the loading delay of some page that I might but probably don't want. Now I keep my PC on and browser open, and if I have to restart I usually use the option to restore tabs. I keep a ready list of favorites at the top of my bookmarks so I can quickly click on any one of them. I've got a google search on the tool bar for quick searches.

1) make Google search the home page. 2) make Google News another tab. 3) add Reuters as another page. Have Firefox open these three pages by default

I'm looking for a new start page again. Any suggestions?

I'm just want a news page that doesn't bombard me with too many tiles as news stories.

My "start page" is an old school page of links I am interested in:

Anthony's Resource Links

I frequently add bookmarks to my web browser when I encounter pages that interest me. Periodically I'll sort through them, organizing the ones I want to keep to my links pages, and deleting the ones I don't want anymore. Obviously, my links page is aimed at my personal interests, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do something similar yourself (if you have any HTML experience).

As for reading news, I prefer to use my RSS newsreader for that (I use RSS Owl). I don't want news feeds getting in my way when I'm searching for something, researching a topic, etc.

My "start page" is an old school page of links I am interested in:

Anthony's Resource Links

I frequently add bookmarks to my web browser when I encounter pages that interest me. Periodically I'll sort through them, organizing the ones I want to keep to my links pages, and deleting the ones I don't want anymore. Obviously, my links page is aimed at my personal interests, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do something similar yourself (if you have any HTML experience).

As for reading news, I prefer to use my RSS newsreader for that (I use RSS Owl). I don't want news feeds getting in my way when I'm searching for something, researching a topic, etc.

Pretty impressive :).

I have Feedly RSS as one of my start page tabs. I take it RSS Owl is a separate application and not a browser plugin? Does it have features you feel are superior to what you can get in a browser?

"Kadaza" ... but have the patience to spend a few minutes to see the infinite flexibility of the site.

Interesting.

I have a blank start page as well. Started using it many years ago because when there’s a problem, I want to open my browser with a clean start. I think I kept getting an error on my start page one time that was locking up my computer. Ever since then, start page is blank.

However, for my general start in surfing, I generally go to msn.com.

I have Feedly RSS as one of my start page tabs. I take it RSS Owl is a separate application and not a browser plugin? Does it have features you feel are superior to what you can get in a browser?

Yes, RSS Owl is a standalone application - RSSOwl - Powerful RSS / RDF / Atom News Feed Reader

I have not used a browser plugin so I don't know how it would compare. I just prefer having applications that are dedicated to a specific task. I would think there would be many advantages to this, but again, I have nothing to compare it to.

Back
Top Bottom