Lower cost of living areas

Are we playing "Give me a location so I can shoot it down"? :2funny: Sort of like "Duck Hunter" on my old Sega Genesis. How about Pittsburgh? (ducking)

Well, we all learned last week that what sounds like someone asking for spots to move isn't necessarily interested in spots to move other than the one they already chose. Too confusing these days to know...:D

Moemg, have you checked out Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You! I've found it to be helpful in at least bringing up areas I hadn't thought of or known about.

heh heh heh - usually there is a woman/friend/relative living there that influences the spot I end up. That and get run out of town ala Katrina!

So far in life, it has always been the job or before that, my ex's job, or some such thing. I am still trying to get out of town after Katrina. Since I have had to wait to do that, I can think about where (heading north comes to mind!).

Well, we all learned last week that what sounds like someone asking for spots to move isn't necessarily interested in spots to move other than the one they already chose. Too confusing these days to know...:D

You're right - - Touche. :) I knew when I posted that thread that it was going to get me into trouble!! I guess it just boggled my mind to think that anyone would regard any plan as written in stone, even one as firmly based as ours. But attempting to communicate that in a post turned out to be a total disaster. I think we still had fun in that thread, even though it didn't go where I had intended.

I still don't get the idea of needing for a place to be low cost of living, in order to visit there!! But hey, what do I know.

Moemg, have you checked out Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You! I've found it to be helpful in at least bringing up areas I hadn't thought of or known about.

Hey! That's where I started my search, in 2005. It is good for ideas.

Last edited:
Moemg, have you checked out Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You! I've found it to be helpful in at least bringing up areas I hadn't thought of or known about.[/quote]

Natchitoches Louisiana when I answered the questions a while back.

Have yet to visit and check it out.

heh heh heh - Told ya those questionaires give er ah interesting results. Definitely not Kansas. Plus the second pick was someplace in CA.

Last edited:

Thanks , since I finally have the time I like to explore areas and that link will be helpful.

I just returned from two weeks near Jamestown,NY and it got me thinking . Housing prices in Jamestown and the surrounding area are definetely inexpensive but the cost of a restaurant meal is higher than Sarasota ,Fl. plus the ride from the airport cost three times as much as the ride to Tampa airport ( same distance ) . Movies were also more money than I'm used to . So my question is when you look at less expensive areas do you look at all the costs plus do any of the really inexpensive places to live have decent restaurants ,shows ,music and shopping beyond Walmart ?
two questions about Jamestown NY...

1. ever heard the term "lake effect snow"?
2. name one of the highest taxed states in the USA. not the worst, but it's high on the list.

i'm a NYer myself. born here, live here, love the country living.

I love the state, hate the taxes.

there are plenty of "modern conveniences" in upstate NY. for example, i just upgraded from outhouse to indoor plumbing last week. life is good. :)

two questions about Jamestown NY...

1. ever heard the term "lake effect snow"?
2. name one of the highest taxed states in the USA. not the worst, but it's high on the list.

i'm a NYer myself. born here, live here, love the country living.

I love the state, hate the taxes.

there are plenty of "modern conveniences" in upstate NY. for example, i just upgraded from outhouse to indoor plumbing last week. life is good. :)

Freebird , Lake effect snow ,wearing everything I own to bed ,watching cars rust out,paying a lot more for things due to the taxes but meeting my grandson priceless .

priceless indeed.:D

i may grouse about the taxes, but upstate NY is beautiful. fresh air. open spaces.

4 seasons, no make that 7 seasons...
winter, late winter, early spring, spring, summer, fall, winter

re: wearing everything you own to bed...:2funny:

it's March and i am getting cabin fever. i bought my tomato seeds today at a garden show in Syracuse and they will be planted inside shortly. that will cheer me up.

priceless indeed.:D

i may grouse about the taxes, but upstate NY is beautiful. fresh air. open spaces.

4 seasons, no make that 7 seasons...
winter, late winter, early spring, spring, summer, fall, winter

re: wearing everything you own to bed...:2funny:

it's March and i am getting cabin fever. i bought my tomato seeds today at a garden show in Syracuse and they will be planted inside shortly. that will cheer me up.

I'll probably visit again in the summer .Now which week of July does that occur ? All kidding aside it is very pretty in the warmer months .

I'll probably visit again in the summer .Now which week of July does that occur ? All kidding aside it is very pretty in the warmer months .
let's see, the ice on the local lake melts by memorial day, and summer happens for 30 minutes on July 4th. then it's all downhill......

you're too funny. :)

you have permission to bust my chops on this anytime. and anyone else for that matter. go for it!

let's see, the ice on the local lake melts by memorial day, and summer happens for 30 minutes on July 4th. then it's all downhill......

you're too funny. :)

you have permission to bust my chops on this anytime. and anyone else for that matter. go for it!

You call that Winter? You don't know what Winter is.

Have you visited Tallahassee?

Shopping is not great, generally chains, but there are more boutiques coming in, though I never go.

It is relatively inexpensive compared to your area, especially housing.

There is a civic center that has a broadway series of 8 shows each year, as well as local playhouse and FSU school of Theater productions.

There are lots of good local non-chain restaurants - in every variety of cuisine.

There is a local airport, but it can be expensive to fly from here depending on where you are going and and how many tickets you need. (It is often a better deal to fly out of Jax, which is 2.5 hours away - for a family of 4, it's a big deal).

We also have seaons and hills, a growing art community and lots of great outdoor stuff.

This is a very confusing thread.
W2R:
I still don't get the idea of needing for a place to be low cost of living, in order to visit there!! But hey, what do I know.

That makes two of us. Is Moemg looking for a "low-cost-of-visiting" place? or what? I think there are so many (relatively) LCOL places that you'd have to narrow down the area of the country that interests you, based on weather, local culture and a bunch of other parameters.

An interesting site is
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc.
There are plenty of people there with opinions about the areas they've moved to, and tons of rankings to sift through.

ok, i'll take this up...LOL

tell me what REAL winter is.

The Keweenaw Snow Thermometer

snw10270.png

All in fun of course, upstate NY is very similar to upper michigan in terms of weather.

Have you visited Tallahassee?

Shopping is not great, generally chains, but there are more boutiques coming in, though I never go.

It is relatively inexpensive compared to your area, especially housing.

There is a civic center that has a broadway series of 8 shows each year, as well as local playhouse and FSU school of Theater productions.

There are lots of good local non-chain restaurants - in every variety of cuisine.

There is a local airport, but it can be expensive to fly from here depending on where you are going and and how many tickets you need. (It is often a better deal to fly out of Jax, which is 2.5 hours away - for a family of 4, it's a big deal).

We also have seaons and hills, a growing art community and lots of great outdoor stuff.

I haven't visited that part of the state but it is on my list of things to do . It sounds nice .

This is a very confusing thread.
W2R:

That makes two of us. Is Moemg looking for a "low-cost-of-visiting" place? or what? I think there are so many (relatively) LCOL places that you'd have to narrow down the area of the country that interests you, based on weather, local culture and a bunch of other parameters.

An interesting site is
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc.
There are plenty of people there with opinions about the areas they've moved to, and tons of rankings to sift through.

I'm sorry I seem to have confused everybody including myself. I'm not moving at least not now . I was considering buying a second home near my daughter in Jamestown,NY but after being there I realized I could not live there even part time so that got me thinking .Are there low cost areas that I would find appealing or does moving to a low cost area mean giving up on some of the perks that come with higher prices . I hope this explains things .

moemg. just thought of a place you might like, folksy, character, arts and i'd imagine good restaurants and a 6 hour, 350-mile drive to jamestown: Town of Woodstock where a friend of mine has been vacationing for years and now her mom is considering moving there, having completely enjoyed last summer in a cabin. lots of eccentrics of all types and from pictures they've shown me the town looks to be just charming.

i'd rather live "downtown" (it's probably gotta downtown like petticoat junction) but here's a nice looking circa 1825 house on 5 acres near town for under $300k Single Family Home - Woodstock, NY, 12498 - Realtor.com

moemg. just thought of a place you might like, folksy, character, arts and i'd imagine good restaurants and a 6 hour, 350-mile drive to jamestown: Town of Woodstock where a friend of mine has been vacationing for years and now her mom is considering moving there, having completely enjoyed last summer in a cabin. lots of eccentrics of all types and from pictures they've shown me the town looks to be just charming.

i'd rather live "downtown" (it's probably gotta downtown like petticoat junction) but here's a nice looking circa 1825 house on 5 acres near town for under $300k Single Family Home - Woodstock, NY, 12498 - Realtor.com

I visited that town once and it was charming in a funky sort of way . Thanks lazy for reminding me of it .

Moemg, you might check out these three places people I know have moved to (from Chicago area):

Asheville, NC (lots of retirees from all over, ready to meet other retirees)
Champaign-Urbana, IL (U of I college town, school brings in cultural events)
Sarasota, FL

All three friends rave about the towns. All three have better weather than Chicago.

Moemg, you might check out these three places people I know have moved to (from Chicago area):

Asheville, NC (lots of retirees from all over, ready to meet other retirees)
Champaign-Urbana, IL (U of I college town, school brings in cultural events)
Sarasota, FL

All three friends rave about the towns. All three have better weather than Chicago.

Don't know about the first two but I can vouch for Sarasota ,Fl .since I live there .

I visited that town once and it was charming in a funky sort of way . Thanks lazy for reminding me of it .
if it was 1969, and you remember Woodstock, you probably weren't there.

i've been there also, many many many moons ago. a tremendous artists' haven. neat little town.

if it was 1969, and you remember Woodstock, you probably weren't there.

i've been there also, many many many moons ago. a tremendous artists' haven. neat little town.

The 'Woodstock Festival' was supposed to originally be in Woodstock, but they didn't want it; smart move.

Sorry, Moemg--all I noticed was Jamestown and didn't realized the Sarasota reference in your OP meant you live there now (of course I could have let my eyes drift left to your location :) ). Duh--at least I can tell you it's a very very picky friend who moved to Sarasota so I know it must be a great place to live!

Back
Top Bottom