Magazine Subscriptions ?

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just curious as to what people subscribe to these days. Magazine subscriptions that is. DW is amazed that regardless of what I am doing, it seems I always have something to read handy.

Myself, Bloomberg Business Week, Fortune and Golf Digest.

Last edited:
They are just so cheap now, they beg you to subscribe, so I continue. Sometimes I don't always get to them during the summer but they make good treadmill readings in the winter: Money, Kiplingers Personal Finance, Golf Digest, and This Old House.

Consumer Reports, Kiplinger, Cooking Light, Cooks Illustrated. We're getting a 1-year subscription to Texas Monthly as our public radio thank you gift so we'll see after a year if that sticks.

Astronomy, Maximum PC, CPU (Computer Power User), AAII (American Association of Individual Investors) Journal

None right now. Thinking about Consumer Reports, though, and maybe I will be inspired to subscribe to something after reading this thread.

The Economist, The Week, Family Handyman, Discover, Popular Science. Plus magazines I get from clubs/organizations (AOPA, EAA, etc)

The Economist for me. Reason: it has insights and analysis (financial + political) that I have trouble finding for free.

Last edited:
if you fly Delta you can order many magazines for very few miles. I get Money Magazine and Time for about 1000 miles each. I also get Kiplingers plus The Wall Street Journal and Barrons

None at the moment but thinking about re-subscribing to Astronomy and Sky and Telescope.

Guns and Ammo, american rifleman, Hobby Farms,Cabin Life, Midwest Living, Motor Home and some other cooking ones for DW among others.

Last edited:
I agree with Mulligan above - they just make it too darned easy. Me - Sunset, The Week, and four different motorcycle mags.

RunnersWorld is my favorite. I also get Tennis and Civil War Times. DW likes Southern Living and Guideposts.

Just a few like Golf Magazine, Consumers Report and Sports Illustrated.
Wife gets one or two sewing magazines. A few times in the past when a mag is running a special like "give one as a gift", I'll have my wife gift it to me for maybe half the cost of the regular subscription. That's really being cheap isn't it? Works for me and I guess the magazine doesn't care or they wouldn't offer it.

if you fly Delta you can order many magazines for very few miles. I get Money Magazine and Time for about 1000 miles each. I also get Kiplingers plus The Wall Street Journal and Barrons

+1.
With Spirit, points would be lost if there is no activity for 3 months. Rather than lose the points, I ordered magazine subscriptions for Time and Money. I got the Time but still waiting for Money.

Discover, Wood, Family Handyman, Fine Woodworking, Shambala Sun.

I also still get Fortune, but they've been telling me each issue is my last one for over two years. Someday I hope it will stop.

It's pretty easy to get great deals on subscriptions these days, so I get quite a few. Bloomberg Business Week is my favorite, but I also get Time, Men's Fitness, Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, Outside, Wired. My wife reads mostly novels, but I prefer taking a magazine or two with me in the evening when I want something to read.

Wait a minute, isn't that the one with all the cute girls on the front cover? Occasionally I see the cover in the library (I'm a runner).

You might be thinking of Playboy. But yea, they occasionally may highlight a cute runner.

Wired, because it keeps me curious and optimistic about the future.

And a bunch of financial mags.

Garden and Gun is my fav. Seems like a strange title but if you're into all things Southern it's an awesome magazine.

The kids get the Game Informer ever month. Personally, I stopped subscribing to paper things. On the iPhone I have a subscription to Lens Magazine, but haven't had a chance to look for anything else I might want to read.

Suggest folks also check with their local library. Along with e-books many libraries now offer free access to many magazines through Zinio. Zinio offers reader apps for most devices. I usually read Consumer Reports, Wood, Handyman, and National Geographic. Many more titles available, many obscure ones, what you have access to depends on the deal your library has with Zinio.

Gave up most of them over the years, because they would stack up in corners, gathering dust during the school year when I had no time to read them.........and then I never caught up on them during the summer.

Now, when I want to read magazines, I browse through that section of the local library and pick up whatever looks interesting at the time. Then I take the stack home, return them, and come back a few months later when I'm in a magazine mood again.

I do subscribe to Dan Wiener's Investment Adviser newsletter. My mom sends me a subscription to Reminisce magazine each Christmas; she knows I love old photos and stories. I do keep all these: Wiener, for the Vanguard investment advice and Reminisce, for the timeless photos.

Back
Top Bottom