Knee replacements

DW had her right Knee done 2 years ago, and she is walking moving like it was her original 10 years ago. The key to her recovery was the ice machine that was highly recommended here on the forum several years ago. The machine has made its rounds around the neighborhood and family, ( 3 neighbors 5 knees/ 1 BIL 1 knee). All went well except BIL, but he waited too long to get it done and has created other issues/bad habits that will take a while to correct. If it needs done, get done ASAP, while young and can recover quicker and enjoy more life.

The truth has come out. DW is more concerned about incision length than anything else. Her friend's incision is about a foot long or more. DW doesnt want that - she's researching doctors who claim shorter incision lengths.

My thoughts are that she's 69 years old, maybe wears a dress once a year, and hardly anyone would ever see the scar. She doesn't seem to agree with my reasoning.

My DW's thoughts on that: Who the hell looks at old women's knees? :angel:

I had a right total knee replacement 10 months ago at 62 years old. I had surgery for a torn ligament (ACL) playing soccer at 18 years old and it started really hurting about 5 years ago and was very arthritic. I walked with a pronounced limp and the daily walks with my dog got shorter and shorter.

Now I’m pain free and don’t limp, so very happy I had it replaced. My only issue is that my knee gets very tight if I sit very long, and when I wake up in the morning. I ride my stationary bike often and after 20 minutes the knee loosens up.

It wasn’t fun right after the surgery because of the pain. But the worst problem for me was my leg hurt the most when I tried to sleep. It was about a month for me before I could sleep through the night.

My advice to anyone who has a knee replacement is to do physical therapy afterwards as intensely as you can tolerate. The therapist will help you with flexing your leg and straightening it. My sister-in-law (55) had her knee replacement the week after mine, coincidentally. She apparently has a low pain threshold and kept having the therapist stop flexing and straightening her leg and she had to have it done under anesthesia about a month later. She still can’t straighten her leg all the way. I was told if I didn’t get my range of motion back by about 6 weeks, it was likely to always be limited.

And as mentioned, get strong before surgery as much as possible. My right leg lost muscle compared to before (& compared to my left leg) that I am still trying to build back up.

The other advantage of in-hospital rehab following knee surgery is that they tend to be more generous with the pain meds. DW got more than she needed and asked them to cut back. Go figure!

I had a right total knee replacement 10 months ago at 62 years old. I had surgery for a torn ligament (ACL) playing soccer at 18 years old and it started really hurting about 5 years ago and was very arthritic. I walked with a pronounced limp and the daily walks with my dog got shorter and shorter.

Now I’m pain free and don’t limp, so very happy I had it replaced. My only issue is that my knee gets very tight if I sit very long, and when I wake up in the morning. I ride my stationary bike often and after 20 minutes the knee loosens up.

It wasn’t fun right after the surgery because of the pain. But the worst problem for me was my leg hurt the most when I tried to sleep. It was about a month for me before I could sleep through the night.

My advice to anyone who has a knee replacement is to do physical therapy afterwards as intensely as you can tolerate. The therapist will help you with flexing your leg and straightening it. My sister-in-law (55) had her knee replacement the week after mine, coincidentally. She apparently has a low pain threshold and kept having the therapist stop flexing and straightening her leg and she had to have it done under anesthesia about a month later. She still can’t straighten her leg all the way. I was told if I didn’t get my range of motion back by about 6 weeks, it was likely to always be limited.

And as mentioned, get strong before surgery as much as possible. My right leg lost muscle compared to before (& compared to my left leg) that I am still trying to build back up.

This is arguably #1 piece of advice. Big part of success is dependent on patient doing PT afterwards.

This is arguably #1 piece of advice. Big part of success is dependent on patient doing PT afterwards.

Completely concur!

DW w*rked through the pain and did more than she was asked. She got GREAT mobility which lasts to this day. I won't say she doesn't have pain, though. The underlying disease that ruined her knees is still there and will remain. Living with a certain level of pain is part of growing old, unfortunately. She does it better than most IMHO. She's my heroine. I'm a wimp by comparison. YMMV

I had my right knee replaced almost 3 years ago, at age 57. The recovery was tough, and very painful. I fell into a mild depression, which was a complete first for me, and came as a surprise. The experience was humbling.

I very much agree with Rich99 about the importance of pushing your exercise routine. As you heal, scar tissue forms around the knee replacement. It is important to keep breaking up this tissue, otherwise the ROM (range of motion) of your new knee will be limited. The physician's assistant gave me great advice, by telling me to make pain my friend. He advised that, especially for the first 6 weeks, I should make doing the various stretching exercises my full time job. This didn't mean that I should be doing them all the time, he said, but that my whole day should revolve around either doing them, or icing and relaxing, and planning for when to do them next. He told me there was a way to mentally disassociate myself from the pain. There was a knack to it, he said, that would come with practice. He was right; it did. As Rich99 said, the first 6 weeks is critical. You can still achieve increases in your ROM after 6 weeks, but those gains will become increasingly smaller, and will be harder to achieve. Do not slack off in the first couple of months, whatever you do!

There are many exercises that can increase your flexion (bend). As an example, the one that worked for me was to sit on a chair at my desk, and use my good leg to push my bad leg as far as it could bend before the pain kicked in. Then I pushed it a bit further, and held that position for 10 minutes. To distract myself, I'd look at stuff on the internet - a useful by-product of sitting at the desk! I performed this stretch 6 times a day, for a total of one hour spent with my new knee bent. Gradually, I found that the new knee bent more and more. It was encouraging, and inspired me to continue to push through the pain.

Many of the other extension and flexion stretches also involved holding a position for 10 minutes. While doing so, I'd either read a book, or look at my phone or computer to help pass the time, to distract myself from the pain. I'd place my stationary bike in front of the computer monitor and watch videos while pedaling. Although my recovery wasn't easy, there was a familiarity to the daily routine that acted as a comfort. It wasn't all torture!

Incidentally, my PA said that, generally, his older patients had easier recoveries. I am guessing this is because younger patients heal faster, and tend to create more scar tissue, necessitating more work to keep it at bay. In my opinion, the most important PT is not the stuff you do during visits, but the stuff you do at home. I only went to PT once a week (for about 6 months). The visits acted as inspiration, a source of new exercises, and a yardstick to help measure my progress. However, the real work was done every day at home.

I live on my own, and had no help during the recovery process. It can be done. My new knee feels great!

Last edited:
This is all interesting. I know I have this in the future. An MRI about 10 years ago said I was bone on bone. a

About 25 years ago I had a tibial transfer on my left knee which helped a lot with the knee pain I was having then. When I had the MRI 10 years ago (for unrelated issue) told me not to walk for exercise and to swim or use a stationary bike or elliptical. The not walking thing was a struggle since I was retired in 1 store house and if I didn't purposefully walk on a treadmill or outside I would get about 1000 steps a day. He finally said I could walk some. I tried to get an idea of step limit and he had no suggestions. It was all frustrating. Particularly since I have read that if you have bone on bone walking is overall good for you. I did get an elliptical and I like that but still enjoy walking.

I recently upped my exercise and notice that if I get above about 4000 steps in a day my knee starts hurting. It isn't extreme but it is there. Doctor says I will eventually need replacement.

The one issue I have is how long they last. I've read they usually need to be replaced in 15 years. So if I got one at 70 (I'm 69) then I might need a new one at 85 and wonder if that would be possible. So I hope this can be delayed awhile. On the other hand if I do it at 75 then maybe again at 90 (if I am still around) and if I am too old then I could imagine being in pain for the rest of my life.

This is all interesting. I know I have this in the future. An MRI about 10 years ago said I was bone on bone. a

About 25 years ago I had a tibial transfer on my left knee which helped a lot with the knee pain I was having then. When I had the MRI 10 years ago (for unrelated issue) told me not to walk for exercise and to swim or use a stationary bike or elliptical. The not walking thing was a struggle since I was retired in 1 store house and if I didn't purposefully walk on a treadmill or outside I would get about 1000 steps a day. He finally said I could walk some. I tried to get an idea of step limit and he had no suggestions. It was all frustrating. Particularly since I have read that if you have bone on bone walking is overall good for you. I did get an elliptical and I like that but still enjoy walking.

I recently upped my exercise and notice that if I get above about 4000 steps in a day my knee starts hurting. It isn't extreme but it is there. Doctor says I will eventually need replacement.

The one issue I have is how long they last. I've read they usually need to be replaced in 15 years. So if I got one at 70 (I'm 69) then I might need a new one at 85 and wonder if that would be possible. So I hope this can be delayed awhile. On the other hand if I do it at 75 then maybe again at 90 (if I am still around) and if I am too old then I could imagine being in pain for the rest of my life.

As mentioned, so far, DW has gotten 23 years out of her "new" knees. I think the 15 year replacement number is sort of an "as early as 15 years" kind of number but I'm no expert, so YMMV.

Two other considerations relevant as we age: (1) Being older when procedure is done may hinder recovery and ability to do PT and (2) wear and tear on implant likely reduces (less hard miles). YMMV.

One reason to get Knee replacement in your late 60s, early 70s rather than waiting until your 80s--surgery is much harder on a person who is in their 80s. We have a friend you had hip replacement in their 80s and never really recovered from the anesthesia--the anesthesia caused significant memory loss.

I'm seeing a common theme in many of these posts. Really concentrate on post op therapy and exercise to facilitate recovery.

Although I haven't had a knee replacement, I've had knee surgery, and broken bones that required significant therapy to heal, so I agree whole heartedly with this advice.

And this follows true with what DW's friend is going through. 1.5 months post op, she is not getting the range of motion that her doc is expecting. Doc's telling her to amp up the therapy/ exercise or he'll have to go back in to remove scar tissue. I also have a friend who is not progressing well because he's not giving 100% in therapy.

Although DW generally follows doctors orders when it comes to medications/ diets, etc, she hasn't had much experience in physical therapy. I'll keep her in line when the time comes.

Last edited:
Like others have said, I don’t know anyone who’s had a knee replacement who regretted it. Most said they wish they’d done it sooner.

As for recovery, it all depends on your physical condition going in AND your commitment to rehab after. I know a 73 yo man who was driving (limited, unauthorized) and walking without a cane after 8 days. I also know a woman about 65 who’s had a knee replacement and she’s convinced it takes 2 years to recover - of course she is an overweight couch potato and she did as little as possible towards rehab. Most I know are closer to the former.

I also know a woman about 65 who’s had a knee replacement and she’s convinced it takes 2 years to recover - of course she is an overweight couch potato and she did as little as possible towards rehab.

I'm a member of a knee replacement recovery group on FB. The folk who have had problems with their surgeries and recoveries are the ones who tend to post the most. Those who had successful recoveries tend to move on with their lives and not post any more. As a result, anyone casually "reading the mail" in the group couldn't be blamed for being thoroughly scared off. However, on looking at the pictures of knees and legs that are posted by the people with severe problems, a lot of them seem to be carrying extra weight.

I know that weight alone is not necessarily an indicator of overall health, but extra weight puts extra strain on joints. Also, some of the "well-proportioned" legs I'm seeing in the photos posted make me suspect that their owners weren't in the greatest physical shape before their surgeries. It really helps to have a good BMI and to be reasonably fit before a surgery like this. Also, an arthritic knee is usually not used as much in the years leading up to knee replacement surgery, so the muscles aren't as developed, hamstrings might have tightened up, etc. Beginning an exercise regimen before surgery can help in the recovery process too.

There are a couple of Canadian surgeons who have a YouTube channel called "Talking with Docs". They are very informative and entertaining, and have a lot of videos on knee replacement surgery, among other topics. In one of their videos, they said that 1 in 5 people are not happy with their knee replacements. That seems like a pretty big figure to me. Perhaps that includes people who have had successful surgeries, but who had unrealistic expectations. It probably also includes the people who didn't apply themselves diligently enough to their post-op PT regimen. All I can say is that, at almost 3 years post-op, I am very happy with mine.

Last edited:
One reason to get Knee replacement in your late 60s, early 70s rather than waiting until your 80s--surgery is much harder on a person who is in their 80s. We have a friend you had hip replacement in their 80s and never really recovered from the anesthesia--the anesthesia caused significant memory loss.

The concern I have is that if I have a knee replacement in my early 70s that I will need another one 15 years later in my late 80s. I wonder if there is n age sweet spot where you can have a knee replacement and still have a second one later on if heed be.

As for recovery, it all depends on your physical condition going in AND your commitment to rehab after. I know a 73 yo man who was driving (limited, unauthorized) and walking without a cane after 8 days. I also know a woman about 65 who’s had a knee replacement and she’s convinced it takes 2 years to recover - of course she is an overweight couch potato and she did as little as possible towards rehab. Most I know are closer to the former.

I agree with this to a point. But there are variables that exist beyond these.

About 25 years ago I had a tibial transfer. This is major surgery and most people leave the hospital on crutches. I walked out carrying my crutches. I went to PT and the first day there could do things most people couldn't do for weeks. I was in my mid-40s and mildly over weight (less than 10 pounds) and lightly active. After I had been there awhile I saw a young woman who looked very athletic come in and she could barely move. She was doing the same exercises that I breezed through. She was struggling. She had the same surgery that I had had. The PT told me her experience was more typical. My easy recovery was extraordinary. PT was easy for me because it never hurt. I had zero problems.

About 3 years after that I had a frozen shoulder. They did surgery (no cutting) where they rotate your arm under anesthesia to break up the scar tissue. I had the same surgeon for this. PT was horrible. I regularly sobbed during it and had to call a halt. It was the most painful thing I ever went through in my life. I had similar pain medication as when I had the knee surgery.

My commitment to PT didn't change. But one time my body just didn't respond the same way and the pain was just overwhelming. It just seemed random.

SIL is needing knee replacement. I'm dreading this as DW will be taking care of her. I'm about 99% certain that she will NOT do the rehab. She has a couple of friends that had the surgery and they've convinced her that it's no big deal and was easy. I think her best hope for success would be to do rehab in the hospital, but it sounds like that probably isn't an option.

SIL is needing knee replacement. I'm dreading this as DW will be taking care of her. I'm about 99% certain that she will NOT do the rehab. She has a couple of friends that had the surgery and they've convinced her that it's no big deal and was easy. I think her best hope for success would be to do rehab in the hospital, but it sounds like that probably isn't an option.

Lean on her doctor to order the in-hospital rehab. DW's doc went to bat for her and made it happen. It's okay to tell the doc WHY this is being requested (IOW that SIL will not follow the at-home instructions, etc.)

Worth a try! Good luck.

My wife has had both knees and one shoulder. First knee went great. Second knee got infected, had to have second operation to clean out and replace plastic parts, and spent two weeks in a nursing home on continuous antibiotics. Shoulder replacement went great, and then two weeks into therapy, it became infected, and she ended up having 4 more replacement surgeries and pretty much 6 months of daily antibiotic infusions to get the infection cleared up. Not sure why she seems prone to them, but it’s scared her enough now she won’t get her ankle replaced, even though she’s barely mobile.

Ok. DW has switched doctors twice without even seeing them. Has an appt with a doctor who friends in the rehab business recommended. I think we're set until the end of February when she has her appt. DW is now getting advice from friends on how to shower post op.

I'm 57 and just had my.left knee replaced in mid-Novembet (it was bone on bone in lateral - aka outer - compartment). I was actually supposed to get the other one done 2 days later, but insurance denied it (it was later approved). 4 days after the surgery, I was in serious pain and was admitted to the hospital with an infection. I was in the hospital for 4 days on IV antibiotics and had to do daily IV antibiotics for six weeks afterward as an outpatient. I am now on oral antibiotics for 6 months.
I dud in-home PT, but started 2 weeks late. In January, I did outpatient PT 3X/week. I asked my doctor to extend it through February at 2X/week. I will be 3 months post surgery this week and at this point my knee is worse than before the surgery. It feels as though it catches it the outer part if the knee and that is where most of the pain is. It has improved somewhat in the last 2 weeks (which is why I asked to extend the PT - to try to keep that momentum going). The "party line" for knee replacements is that it takes a year to heal. The problem is you don't know what YOUR journey will be. Oh and the "If you don't do your PT, you are screwed" is well, "controversial"...see the aforementioned Bonesmart forum.
Happy to answer any specific questions.m!

I'm 57 and just had my.left knee replaced in mid-Novembet (it was bone on bone in lateral - aka outer - compartment). I was actually supposed to get the other one done 2 days later, but insurance denied it (it was later approved). 4 days after the surgery, I was in serious pain and was admitted to the hospital with an infection. I was in the hospital for 4 days on IV antibiotics and had to do daily IV antibiotics for six weeks afterward as an outpatient. I am now on oral antibiotics for 6 months.
I dud in-home PT, but started 2 weeks late. In January, I did outpatient PT 3X/week. I asked my doctor to extend it through February at 2X/week. I will be 3 months post surgery this week and at this point my knee is worse than before the surgery. It feels as though it catches it the outer part if the knee and that is where most of the pain is. It has improved somewhat in the last 2 weeks (which is why I asked to extend the PT - to try to keep that momentum going). The "party line" for knee replacements is that it takes a year to heal. The problem is you don't know what YOUR journey will be. Oh and the "If you don't do your PT, you are screwed" is well, "controversial"...see the aforementioned Bonesmart forum.
Happy to answer any specific questions.m!

I’m not so sure about Bonesmart. They might be right but take it with a grain of salt. Just my opinion. Which also should be taken with a grain of salt.

I’m not so sure about Bonesmart. They might be right but take it with a grain of salt. Just my opinion. Which also should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I hear you on Bonesmart. I think the "truth" is somewhere in between, and, in most cases you have to listen to your own body (or knee). If you feel you can take a bit more PT...go for it! If it bites you, maybe just back off a little bit, etc. There is likely zero call for letting a therapist push you to tears like some folks report.
I think part of the reason docs prescribe the PT is because if they don't, a non-trivial percentage of the population wouldn't do ANYTHING which results in its own issues, etc.

Yeah, I hear you on Bonesmart. I think the "truth" is somewhere in between, and, in most cases you have to listen to your own body (or knee). If you feel you can take a bit more PT...go for it! If it bites you, maybe just back off a little bit, etc. There is likely zero call for letting a therapist push you to tears like some folks report.
I think part of the reason docs prescribe the PT is because if they don't, a non-trivial percentage of the population wouldn't do ANYTHING which results in its own issues, etc.

+1
After a good experience for a week or two with a home PT, I was sent to a PT facility. The staff there hooked me up to machines, left the room and didn't pay attention, and hurt me to the point of screaming. Frank came running out of the waiting room about 100 feet away to rescue me. They actually hurt me so badly I had to be taken to the car in a wheelchair (first time ever!). I told them I was DONE, best decision I ever made.

I found out later that the PT facility was charging Medicare and my insurance thousands of dollars a week for my PT that injured me so.

DH did great with his full knee replacement 3 years ago. He was back dancing in 3 months, back playing golf in 4 months. He did the PT that came to the home and a couple of outpatient sessions and then just walked A LOT. His doctor said the best PT was walking and that is what DH did. He is having his other knee done in a month, we are hoping it goes as well as the first one did. He is actually doing PT now in preparation for the knee replacement in a month. The doctor wants his legs and arms as strong as possible prior to surgery.

Back
Top Bottom