Mailman with longest route (ex-ER)

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Interesting article about the 72 year old mailman with America's longest route:

Mailman at 72 With America

Things that were interesting - He is a former high school principal who retired in 1995. He did some part-time work then remarried a younger woman (a teacher) and wanted to provide more for her (although she will get a pension) and help out his grandkids. He started as a substitute at the post office in 2000 and moved to a full-time route in 2007. He gets a pension from his teaching career, and SS and makes $62,000 as a mailman.

I was astounded at how much he makes even though he has a very long route (taking 9.4 hours).

The comments were also fascinating with a shockingly high percentage of people negative about him taking jobs from younger people and advocating that there should be a forced retirement age so that old people can't take jobs from young people...

A couple of months ago, I was speaking with a good friend I've known for 40 years. He is 79, has cancer for which he is getting chemo AND his goal is to have a j*b when he turns 80. Inside, I was shaking my head, but I said nothing. Last week, I ran into him at the funeral of a mutual friend (aged 82). My friend was excited that he had found a j*b! To each his own because YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom