Making money doing what you love = Early Retirement?

You can choose to define ER any way you wish, but beware that even the best job can get boring or repetitive or as others have said, a "dissatisfier" can emerge.

So best to save aggressively to become FI so that you have options. That way, you're prepared irrespective of your job satisfaction.
This is true. The point is, even if you continue to w*rk, just knowing you *can* walk away if they piss you off can do wonders for your mental health and make the j*b generally more tolerable. This is even more true if your bosses know you can walk away and they don't want you to leave.

I definitely think the idea of doing something you love is what you should be doing regardless whether you're retired or not. Why do what you hate right? I'm a big fan of that but couldn't for the life of me figure out what I love to do and how to make money until I read that article op. I got the book too just to be sure and it's so awesome to finally know what freaking target to aim for! I have an idea for 2 businesses that can really take off. I say go for it, don't listen to the "safe" haters and live the life you really want. We need more Steve Jobs in this world :)

This is true. The point is, even if you continue to w*rk, just knowing you *can* walk away if they piss you off can do wonders for your mental health and make the j*b generally more tolerable. This is even more true if your bosses know you can walk away and they don't want you to leave.
Ahhhh! That's an awesome idea. Never thought about that. It's like you're saving "I quit and I'll be worry free" money. Nice :)

OTOH being FI also tends to reduce your tolerance for the BS...

My take? If you are one of the 1%ers (no, not the super-wealthy) -- among the ranks of those who truly love their work and can do it more or less on their own terms -- then yes, making a living by doing "work" you love can feel like retirement.

It's never going to be a reality for "the 99%", though. The overwhelming majority of folks are never going to realistically be in a position to love their work in this way. Those who do, who can do it largely on their own terms and who would keep doing it even if they didn't need ANY income from it, are among the most blessed people I can imagine.

This correctly frames the scenerio IMHO. The 1% is the dream.
Having said that, is it wrong to put down the dreamers?

Dreamers accomplish many great things. Einstein would have sold insurance for a living if he listened to our advice. "God doesn't play dice..."

Back
Top Bottom