Math and Excel help please

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am trying to create a formula, like the attached, in an excel worksheet.
Can anyone help me??

I know the stars are multipliers, and the single straight line is a division, but have no idea what the other symbol represents, or how to create this in excel.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• math.jpg
    math.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 212
The other symbol is square root of. I assume you plan to replace some terms with variables if you're using Excel. In Excel:

=SQRT(2*100*15/2)

The answer is 38.73 if that's what you were after.

Last edited:
AWESOME-- thank you. Trying to build an inventory forecast sheet. Found this formula which makes sense for my hobby business, with the example, but could not create it in excel. Now I can insert my numbers and should be good.
Again thanks!

The Square Root... brings back nightmarish flashbacks of grade school :(

ok but who remembers how to do square roots on a slide rule??

ok but who remembers how to do square roots on a slide rule??
Look for a scale that is either goes from 1 to 100 or goes from 1 to 3.16 and 3.16 to 10 (The first is a square scale teh second a square root scale) The square scale is called an A scale and the square root scale is typically r1 and r2. If you have an A then slide the cursor to the number on a and read the square root on the C. If you have R 1 and R2. Set the cursor on the C and depending see if the power of 10 involved is even or odd use r1 if even (0,2...) or R2 if odd (1,3...) read off the square root.

Ahh, slide rules. One of the few mementos I have of my career is a glass front shadow box I built of my grandfather's (electrical), my Dad's (chemical) and mine (civil). Yeah, I saved up the $150 in 72 (bear in mind a four function) to replace it but still had it. Suppose I could have asked DS and DD for their first calculators to go in it...both chemicals. Engineering has tended to run in the family, be interesting to see if any of the 5 grandchildren go that way.

I have mine sitting on my desk just because. I took the professional engineers exam with that thing.
And also, you never know when you'll need to do some computing after that big EMP knocks out the electronics, hehe.

I didn't throw mine out, but I couldn't find mine now if I had to. Got mine in HS. Although "everyone" had TI-58's, they didn't want to exclude people that couldn't afford one.

TI58_1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom