Mathematical analysis: leaving the toilet seat down is inefficient

Many years ago, I determined that the least number of seat position changes would occur if the seat is simply left in the position where last used and that such a rule therefore would be the most efficient use of resources in the house. I have repeatedly tried to explain my analysis to the young wife over the years, but she fails to understand my genius and the "seat always down" rule still governs.

We solve it this way: two bathrooms, his 'n' hers. (this territorial "choice" instituted by him, btw).

Hence I only try to impose an "effort" w/r/t seat position when company is calling.

Guess who wins at "efficiency" (seat always down except for cleaning)? Me.

Guess whose bathroom needs more frequent cleaning? His.
Is it REALLY so emasculating to pee sitting down? Must I kneel to your collective masculinity by weekly wiping piss off the floors and walls? Can we build home toilets at groin level? Will home urinals ever capture the public's imagination?

:bat: :cool:

In our recent home remodeling/addition project, I really pushed hard for a urinal. I lost that debate too.

I lost that debate too.

I hope that didnt surprise you.

My marriage started working out a lot better as soon as I realized that I'm always wrong, and when my wife is wrong, i'm generally still not right.

Its also worth noting that when the spouse complains about the toilet seat, that its almost never about the toilet seat.

We actually have a pretty good system. If its down I put it up. If its up, she puts it down. And I keep cooking the meals, taking care of the house and cars and finances, and watching the baby half the time.:)

C'mon, guys, everyone knows that you have to put the toilet seat down.

If you leave it up, then the next time the submarine rocks or takes an angle the toilet seat will clang down on the bowl and cause a noise transient, making the sub detectable from thousands of yards away.

Next we'll discuss why things shouldn't be left lying adrift on horizontal surfaces...

Anything around here takes a sharp enough turn to make the toilet seat drop, a little noise isnt going to be my biggest problem...

My marriage started working out a lot better as soon as I realized that I'm always wrong, and when my wife is wrong, i'm generally still not right.

Does that, or does that not, explain CFB's posts here? :D
The poor guy has gotta win SOMEwhere.

Gumby, I would go for a urinal in a house with more than one bathroom. Can't explain the "more than one" prejudice.

I like the idea of a urinal someone described to me after visiting a particular inn in CA: a rocky wall with continuous cascading water and a horizontal drain beneath. I think it was the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo.

Found it:
http://www.urinal.net/madonna/

Hmm.. who knew there was a website devoted to urinals!?

I think it was the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo.
That is a very nice urinal, and very inspirational, too. You don't have to stand around waiting for motivation to strike, so to speak, and it must be easy to clean.

As an engineer, though, I can't believe that they pay that kind of utility bill to use all that fresh water. I suspect it's recirculating.

I much prefer this urinal setup:

Attachments

• Urinal art.jpg
    Urinal art.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 11
Seems the waterfall effect is not truly continuous; it's activated by some kind of (infrared?) switch when one approaches.

I have better things to concern myself with. Learned at an early age to check (so I did not "fall in")...later had to have all the household members close the lid to keep the dog out of the bowl.

Never understood the whole "leave the seat down" thing for the girls...is that just so they don't fall in when they go? In all my years of needing to sit (if you know what I mean) which is maybe 1 out of 4 visits to the bathroom, I have never failed to check nor have I ever fallen in..

do women actually walk into the bathroom backwards, drop their pants/raise their skirt and then fall in? Or do they close their eyes and walk in forward?

You really can't help but notice where the seat position is unless you tried really hard...

In my house, I won this battle years ago..we go with the "Adjust When Necessary" method...and I live in a house that is 4 women/girls and 2 men/boys. And still, never has anyone fallen in...:)

Does that, or does that not, explain CFB's posts here? :D
The poor guy has gotta win SOMEwhere.

Slow and easy, right over the plate...the only question was who was going to take the swing :)

So having an opinion and strenuously defending it is bad?

I have better things to concern myself with. Learned at an early age to check (so I did not "fall in")...later had to have all the household members close the lid to keep the dog out of the bowl.

I hesitate to admit it, but when we had big dogs we left the lid up just so the dogs could use the toilet as their water bowl. :-X

"In a family argument, if it turns out that you are right, apologize at once!" -- from the notebooks of Lazarus Long (AKA Robert A Heinlein)

I hesitate to admit it, but when we had big dogs we left the lid up just so the dogs could use the toilet as their water bowl. :-X

LOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY

You've got some splainin' to do!

I see many of our mods now have new avatars...

Fellas: It would behoove all of you to make sure the seat is DOWN for your female partner. If not, we female partners may make so you guys will need to sit down on toilet seat :bat: instead of standing.

Fellas: It would behoove all of you to make sure the seat is DOWN for your female partner. If not, we female partners may make so you guys will need to sit down on toilet seat :bat: instead of standing.

I don't know...maybe we should all insist they(females) leave the seat UP for US males. Seems just about as reasonable request isn't it?

Never understood the whole "leave the seat down" thing for the girls...is that just so they don't fall in when they go? In all my years of needing to sit (if you know what I mean) which is maybe 1 out of 4 visits to the bathroom, I have never failed to check nor have I ever fallen in..
To put this in perspective, Ann Landers (or Dear Abby, I could never tell them apart) said that in all her decades of advice columns there were only two subjects guaranteed to explode her mailbox:

1. Toilet paper-- over the top or down the back?
2. Toilet seat-- up or down?

As Dr. Phil would say, "If these are the biggest problems you have in your life right now..."

Back
Top Bottom