Mecum Auto Auction for the car guys

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are members of the local Mustang Car club so we got free tickets to go to the Mecum Auction at Reliant in Houston . I think over four days they were auctioning off 1000 collectable cars . We went with another couple so both couples got bidders pass. DW took my bidder pass so I could not bid , I seen so many wonderful cars that went so reasonable .
Several cars over 100K and several under 10K There was one of the 2 seater convertible Cadillac's . One of the ones that is a corvette with a Cadillac body 55000 miles . A guy bought it for his son's first car 22000.00 Man I liked that car. A 1966 GTO completely redone 200 miles since resto. 45000.00 It is so cool to be sitting next to someone who wins a bid for their dream car . Maybe next year I will be buying that special Mustang GT Shelby .

... One of the ones that is a corvette with a Cadillac body 55000 miles . A guy bought it for his son's first car 22000.00 Man I liked that car. ... that special Mustang GT Shelby ...
Quite a few years ago I bought a 1968 GT500KR convert, fixed a small engine problem, and turned it for a couple of $K profit. Met the buyer/kid and his dad at the bank, where dad was co-signing the loan.

After I had the cashier check in my hot little hand, I took the dad aside and said: "Do you understand that your son has just bought a 140mph car that will neither turn nor stop?"

"Oh."

I have a friend who has gone to several of these. His comment was "buy at Mecum, sell at Barrett-Jackson".

DW is an old car buff, and sometime in the near future we will go to one of these. BUT, she doesn't get the bidder's pass. That could be dangerous. Her dream car is a 1955-56 T-Bird.

Nice!!! Went to Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale last year. I’m going to Mecum in Indy next month. It’s a blast. I never realized they have cars that I could actually afford at these auctions. I’m kinda scared of getting a bidder’s pass.

Ordered my bidders pass for Indianapolis for my buddy and I last month. Not going to bid but just enjoy the experience.

I went to Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale this year also. I had a blast, got to meet some really interesting and nice people there, saw some GREAT cars, and managed to walk about 15,000 +/- steps both days I was there. Be prepared to walk...a LOT.

DH gets a gang together and they spend at least a day each time it comes to town. I enjoy watching it on TV, especially when they're in Florida & California. It's crazy how much some of those cars go for. Like more than we paid for all the houses we've ever owned.

My DW and I enjoy watching the auctions on TV. We have both said we would like to go to one. But, then the temptation to buy would materialize. Then we would need to purchase a bigger house with a 3+ car garage. It gets expense in a hurry! Maybe we should stick to watching on TV. :blush:

I went to the mother of all Mecum's at Kissimmee, FL a couple years ago. I was itching to buy an older C5 Corvette and almost pulled the trigger on a couple but chickened out. They had over 300 Corvettes alone at this auction, and a total of about 3000 vehicles. Truly amazing stuff on display.
BTW, my itch for an older vette kind of went a way so it was probably a good move not to buy one. I still love to look at them.

BTW, my itch for an older vette kind of went a way so it was probably a good move not to buy one. I still love to look at them.

you can get a decent C4 for about $5K now

Back
Top Bottom