Mike Wallace retiring

I used to enjoy Wallace on the old 60 Minutes doing his normal "ambush jourmalism" I think he would have been a better journalist if he hadn't let his political agenda get in the way. His 1982 "The Uncounted Enemy" documentary was a hit-piece against the Pentagon and Gen Westmoreland. Wallace had his mind made up before he began work on the project and would not listen to strong evdence that he was wrong. The final result was a black eye (ugh!) for CBS and eventually an apology from the network to Westmoreland.

Oh, another thing I'll always remember about Mike. " "It's worth thirty seconds on the evening news, as opposed to saving a platoon."
(http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/press/vanities/fallows.html)

Adios, Mike.

samclem

DOG51 said:
Old Mike has decided to retire at the age of 88.
To put this in perspective, as a young first-grader I remember watching "old" movies of a 1950s show called "YOU Are There." It was hosted by Mike Wallace.

It'd be interesting to have Mike show up here on the board, lay out his portfolio, and ask what SWR he can take out. And maybe we can help him figure out what he can do all day?

Who am I kidding-- he's probably on the phone to Walter Cronkite & Dan Rather to see if they want to write a book with him. They could call it "Going in Style" or "The Sunshine Boys"...

DOG51 said:
Old Mike has decided to retire at the age of 88.

Correction, I believe I heard Ol Mike say he would still be doing some work, just not what he has done in the past.

So technically he's semi-retiring.

mickeyd said:
Mike Wallace is the anti-ER guy.

Anyone whe toils for the man until age 88 has to either be insane or not consider his job as "work".

Unless he has an excessive hidden gambling, hooker, or drug problem, I don't think he needs the dough, so it's cause it ain't work (RIP Bob Denver aka Maynard)

samclem said:
    I used to enjoy Wallace on the old 60 Minutes doing his normal "ambush jourmalism"  I think he would have been a better journalist if he hadn't let his political agenda get in the way.   His 1982 "The Uncounted Enemy"  documentary was a hit-piece against the Pentagon and Gen Westmoreland.  Wallace had his mind made up before he began work on the project and would not listen to strong evdence that he was wrong.   The final result was a black eye (ugh!) for CBS and eventually an apology from the network to Westmoreland.   

Oh, another thing I'll always remember about Mike. " "It's worth thirty seconds on the evening news, as opposed to saving a platoon."
(http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/press/vanities/fallows.html)

Adios, Mike.

samclem

That's quite a disturbing article! :eek:

Laurence said:
That's quite a disturbing article! :eek:

Like most journalists who achieve national stature, Mr. Wallace became very full of himself. And why is he still working at the age of 88? Why it would be selfish to retire and deprive the world of his services.

REWahoo, who thinks most TV newsjournalists are full of crap themselves. ;)

Back
Top Bottom