Join Early Retirement Today

Money & Travel
Old 11-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Money & Travel

Like most of the board I'm pretty thrifty on a day to day basis except when I travel .I'm not extravagant when I travel but I do loosen the purse strings considerbly .Who knows when I'll be there again ? How about you ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We are the same way. When we travel we eat out much more than at home. Good food, not junk. I refuse to take bologna and bread in the car like my mom did when we were kids. If I have to do that I am staying home.
We also spend quite a bit in activities and tend to upgrade to the more expensive options if available. For instance, we rode the Durango Silverton railway in Colorado in October and upgraded to the nicer car with the larger seats and no children allowed. It was worth it as I walked through the regular cars and the seats were very narrow and the kids were very loud.
That said, I cannot make myself fly first class, it is just too ridiculous. I also tend to economize on the hotel room if we are just staying 1 night. It is only for sleeping then and who cares if they don't have a mint on the pillow. Anything more than 1 night and I try to find a suites hotel for a little more room and fridge/micro options.
I figure if I can't afford to enjoy my travels I will stay home until I can.
2fer
Old 11-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
2fer
Me Too !
Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I know where you're coming from - part of 'getting away from it all' includes the idea of splashing out and enjoying your hard-earned money with less restraint than while at home. I do tend to do this on shorter trips, but I also have a completely different attitude when on longer trips (longer than a few weeks), which is to live on a significantly lower budget than when I'm at home. The shorter trips are about relaxing - and that means spending money to live the good life. The longer trips are about experiences - which I find are more difficult to find in hotels and fancy restaurants, and easier to find in lower cost guesthouses/pensions and local eateries.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
When planning a trip I usually am pretty thoughtful about keeping the costs down, but when I am actually doing the traveling, or cruising, I let her rip. Extra side trips on trains, helicopters, whale watching were easy to set up on our trip to Alaska a few months ago and well worth the extra cash.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
We are the same way. When we travel we eat out much more than at home. Good food, not junk.
I especially like to eat where the 'locals' eat. Plus I like to hunt out restaurants that have REALLY good food...especially local cuisine!!! I don't set a budget for eating! Life's too short!

Quote:
We also spend quite a bit in activities and tend to upgrade to the more expensive options if available.......I also tend to economize on the hotel room if we are just staying 1 night. It is only for sleeping then and who cares if they don't have a mint on the pillow. Anything more than 1 night and I try to find a suites hotel for a little more room and fridge/micro options.
Same here...if I'm just there for 1 night, the room is just for sleeping. If I'm staying for a while, then the room will be used a bit more, and a micro & fridge, or even a small kitchenette are great. I can whip up some good eats from the stuff I find in the local markets.

Quote:
You got that right! When I travel, I do it to have a good time! If it costs a little more to have a great time...so be it! That's what I w*rked all of those years for.

Besides, the time may come that I won't be able to travel anymore....so I want to do it right the first time through!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=Goonie;581657]I especially like to eat where the 'locals' eat. Plus I like to hunt out restaurants that have REALLY good food...especially local cuisine!!! I don't set a budget for eating! Life's too short!

I like to find a local "Things to Do/ Weekender Magazine for the area we are in and try the local places too. It is a large part of the trip and a reason for travel. An internet search for the "Best of" type list sometimes works as well. We have found some wonderful places that way. I have found the hotel employees we ask seem to send people to only fair to middlin places, economical, convenient but nothing to write home about. Asking some of the like minded people in the area that we meet during travel and sightseeing also works.
2fer
Old 11-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

No, we really don't spend a whole lot when we are traveling. We have a whole lot of fun, though! The only reason we travel is to scope out potential retirement locations.

We pretty much have to pay for gas, a motel, and eating out while we are away. We don't stay at the most expensive motels, or eat at the most expensive places. Gas, food, and lodging still add up to a lot in themselves, sometimes. But otherwise, we don't buy anything or pay for activities or shows. Last week in Springfield all I bought was a $2 sudoku book at Barnes and Noble (whoopee? Let the Good Times Roll! ). We do have a lot of fun when we are traveling, anyway.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I especially like to eat where the 'locals' eat. Plus I like to hunt out restaurants that have REALLY good food...especially local cuisine!!! I don't set a budget for eating! Life's too short!

Me too , I love to find funky little eating places that the locals hit .We found a great breakfast place last week in Washington right off dupont circle .$3.50 for eggs & toast ! I do love searching for hotel bargains but when it comes to should I pay the extra money to do something I go for it .Life is too short not to take that special excursion !
Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes it's hard to cough up the money, but I do try to make sure our vacations include experiences that are memory-makers. For example, a few years back, we had a weeklong trip along the coast of Maine, just meandering here and there... we enjoyed Acadia Nat'l Park, enjoyed various lighthouses and enjoyed a stop at LL Bean. In Bar Harbor, I nearly choked when I saw the price of the whale-watching excursions and we almost didn't do it because of the price, but we did... and it was fabulous and amazing to see whales. Truly awe-inspiring creatures, and an experience and vacation that I will always remember because of the whales. Similarly, we'll be cruising next year, and while I balk a bit at the shore excursion prices, I try to remember that I'm not travelling all that distance to view it from afar - it's to experience it, to share the experiences with our children and to immerse ourselves in something different.

Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #11

Quote:
I have found the hotel employees we ask seem to send people to only fair to middlin places, economical, convenient but nothing to write home about. Asking some of the like minded people in the area that we meet during travel and sightseeing also works.
A lot of times instead of asking at the front desk, I'll hunt down the maintenance man or custodian, and ask him about his favorite local 'non-chain' restaurant. We've come across a few really good neighborhood haunts and family owned places that way, some of which are in some 'interesting', and maybe 'not so nice' neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
....we don't buy anything or pay for activities or shows. Last week in Springfield all I bought was a $2 sudoku book at Barnes and Noble (whoopee? Let the Good Times Roll! ). We do have a lot of fun when we are traveling, anyway.
I dig around for local entertainment too. Nothing too fancy. A while back we found out about the Daytona Community College Symphony concerts. They have their winter concert every year while we're there. I don't remember off hand whether it costs $3 or $5, but either way it's really good....and cheap....and a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Then we head out for a nice dinner at one of the local eateries that we've found. Also, one of the restaurant/bars near our hotel usually has local musician playing....some good....some not....but it's free.

I always look around for book stores wherever we go too. I love book stores! I've always done B&N, and Waldenbooks.....and a few years ago I came across my first Books-A-Million! I really like BAM...couches and arm chairs, along with hot caffeinated beverages....oh yeah....and BOOKS!! I'll browse for an hour, maybe 2, and find 1 or 2 interesting titles to buy. And then there are the off-the-beaten-path used book stores!

I soooooo look forward to traveling!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #12

There have been times when we've just stumbled onto things too. Like in 2006 when we were in Daytona, we went down to Ponce Inlet Marina for dinner one evening, and after we ate, they had Molly Hatchett performing. SO it was delicious seafood, and a FREE concert too!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #13

apparently i am just as cheap as when i was working, just as i am just as cheap when i am on vacation from not working. in two years i've spent maybe 1/4th of my so-called vacation budget. and my future travel plan involves vagabonding over land or by sail to developing areas which will further reduce my spending. wanna bet i have a better time than anyone at the st. regis?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote