Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Electronic payment (wave your phone at the machine) is already becoming common in parts of Europe, so that's a natural question.

However, I think it might underestimate [sorry, I guess that's misunderestimate ] the inertia of the average American.

AFAIK, there are only one or two tiny countries in the world besides the USA that still use anything but the SI metric system, but I don't see us making much of an effort to upgrade in that area.
What is this metric system of which you speak?

Although electronic cash won't be a requirement for a long time (except if you want to buy refreshments on airplanes, where you already must use credit cards), it will happen sooner rather than later because there is money to be saved by business in not handling cash. We'll probably all do it using smart phones, too.

One day a grandfather will be telling his grandchildren all about people who used to come to our houses every day with things called "letters" and about machines that gave us "bills" and "coins" that we used to buy "newspapers.".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Making coins or bills, whatever, both will be obsolete soon enough. How many years before neither is used as we switch to electronic cash at point of purchase?

That is what people said about writing checks.... but we still write a lot of checks as a country....

Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In 2005, megacorp-US allowed me to help megacorp-UK. While lived there i became accustomed to £1 coins. Very very useful. I wish the 1 cent coin and the dollar bill would be eliminated. Dollar coins would be a good thing.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
That is what people said about writing checks.... but we still write a lot of checks as a country....

I w*rk in a retail establishment and I have noticed that checks are going the way of the dodo bird, while they are still written and accepted, they are definitely a small fraction of the transactions and mostly written by 'elderly' persons
Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
What is this metric system of which you speak?

Although electronic cash won't be a requirement for a long time (except if you want to buy refreshments on airplanes, where you already must use credit cards), it will happen sooner rather than later because there is money to be saved by business in not handling cash. We'll probably all do it using smart phones, too.

One day a grandfather will be telling his grandchildren all about people who used to come to our houses every day with things called "letters" and about machines that gave us "bills" and "coins" that we used to buy "newspapers.".
The electronic cash concept can work as long as there is the ability to do it anonymously, just like cash is now. There will always be things people want to buy that they don't want showing up on their credit card statement or a government report. It won't be hard, just have the ability to transfer a balance to a device, without tracking information. The device could require a thumbprint or some other security before it can be used, limiting robbery options. But I can't see people allowing the ability to buy anonymously to be done away with. Some people won't care, but many others will. Hmmm...another black market opportunity arises for when I run out of incandescent light bulbs.