Monty Python

There are so many great examples posted already. I always like the "Silly Olympics." I will never forget the first race I laughed so hard...
Silly Olympics - YouTube

When I was in high school, we had a great Creative Writing teacher (her name slips my mind, it's been so many years ago) who used to show segments of films in class as a topic to get the creative writing juices flowing.

One semester, she showed parts of Excalibur, and then followed up with Monty Python and The Holy Grail. We had to write an essay comparing/contrasting the two, and then write short stories combining the aspects of both. One of the most fun assignments I can ever remember doing in school.

I think most of the stories were more Holy Grail-ish than Excalibur-ish.

Long live Monty Python!

The Piranha brothers

Last edited:
Crazy that all of this came from a show that only lasted three and a half seasons. The only show I can think of that gets as many references is Seinfeld, and that one ran a lot longer (nine seasons). And that is a relatively recent phenomenon. We'll see if we're still hearing Seinfeld quips 30 years from now.

Have loved most of the British comedy stuff since first being introduced to it by my Dad when I was 12: Monty Python, Benny Hill, Are You Being Served, Black Adder, Father Ted, Porridge just to name a few (Ab Fab! Red Dwarf! there are just sooooo many!!).
Liked em all so much I married a Brit (a Geordie!)!
One more to add to the list is "The Goon Show"

clang!"Throw out your dead." clang!
"I'm not dead yet.
I'm feeling much better.
I think I'll get up and go for walk now." Rap

"Mr. Pither's Bicycling Tour of North Cornwall" - A whole bunch of skits, with many quotes good for a lifetime...

C'mon dear, wake up dear!
Mother!!!
C'mon dear
SO! It was all a DREAM!
No dear, THIS is the dream, you're still in the cell...

I had to go through all of this to make sure that someone included the Four Yorkshiremen.
Thanks BSSC. :)
It is really universal, Monty Python. We had 5 different countries and 4 different decades represented on the bus, and all of us could quote our favorite bits from the show or the movies. Unquestionably the funniest stuff ever. I'm a particular fan of Yellowbeard, which, if you haven't seen it, is absolutely hilarious.
And to be fair, Michael Palin's Around the world in 80 days has quite a few moments of humor in addition to being a fantastic travel tale.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom