BritBox Veterans--What Should I Watch?

A great feature of Roku is the closed captioning setting under Accessibility. Instead of using "Closed Captioning--On Always", I select "Closed Captioning--On Replay". Then if I come across some dialogue I can't quite decipher I press the Replay button on the Roku remote. This rewinds the show about 15 seconds and closed captioning comes on during that replayed portion and then disappears. Using this technique I don't need to have closed captioning on all the time. Quite handy, though on some shows if I find myself using the Replay button too much I just give in and put it on Closed Captioning--On Always.

Also quite handy is having my phone nearby and when I run across a British term I don't understand I simply say, "Hey Google, what's a plonker in British slang?" Answer is immediate. For example, I was watching "Only Fools and Horses" the other night and one of the characters said, "You're making me out to be a Bertie Smalls, and I'm not." My response--"Hey Google, who was Bertie Smalls, British slang?"

My favorite part of this one was that you got me to look up Bertie Smalls, which wikipedia describes as Britain's first 'supergrass'. So - of course, my response was "Hey Google, what's a supergrass in British Slang?"

Not just Britbox, but British series we have liked include: The Royal, New Tricks, Kavanaugh QC, Endeavor, and Detectorists. We are part way through Doc Martin and like it as well.

Tonight I watched S01E01 of "One Foot in the Grave" which is a comedy about a guy going on early retirement and becoming somewhat bitter about it. He hasn't quite figured out what to do with himself now that he's not working. Lots of sharp curmudgeonly one-liners of which most landed. I see some real potential.

We do not watch much if any US tv anymore (With the exception of a few good HBO, Starz shows). We love Britbox and Acorn shows too.

Like folks here we simply think that the Brits just do it better, especially police and crime dramas, whether they are somewhat whimsical or perfectly serious. Yes, they simply just do it better. Not to mention that there are more advertisements than shows in US TV also.

My theory about this is that their shows especially crime are more realistic as they do not suffer from the American prudish censorship that is prevalent and has ruined mainstream primetime TV (for the most part). Too many busybodies with nothing better to do than complain about anything that is remotely controversial, scary or ... you say it, they whine about it. Makes a lot of US TV very boring.

Makes me laugh, because it is OK if you pay a premium for it. Very hypocritical.

The Brits do not care for the most part. We have a "if you do not like it, turn it off" attitude.

Last edited:
One huge difference between the US and British police dramas is: no guns. Take away the loud shooting scenes and you’re left with plot and character development.

Not all, but yes you are correct. Although European Crime and Police shows are great too. They do bring out their Swat teams when needed and some Detectives are armed. It depends on the show. The More whimsical ones do not. I am currently watching McDonald and Dodds, very entertaining.

I personally like British (and European) Coroner based shows, and there are a lot, usually very detailed and compelling to watch.

Last edited:
Another thing I noticed about the British shows is that the characters dress appropriately for their role. For example Vera doesn’t dress in a suit and high heels. She dresses like a person who is busy and has work to do.
After watching Vera last year I saw a U.S. crime/mystery show and the female boss was in a tight suit she could barely move in and high heels. Makeup over done IMHO.
So unrealistic. There are other examples but I really starting noticing it a lot. The characters are just so much more realistic.
The actors seem more interested in playing their role whatever that role is.

One huge difference between the US and British police dramas is: no guns. Take away the loud shooting scenes and you’re left with plot and character development.

Another thing I noticed about the British shows is that the characters dress appropriately for their role. For example Vera doesn’t dress in a suit and high heels. She dresses like a person who is busy and has work to do.

These are good points.

The biggest difference for me is that the US cop/crime shows are ridiculously predictable. British shows, not so much. There really isn't much of a mystery in US detective private eye shows. I can usually figure out the culprit well before the reveal.

The second biggest difference for me is that the US cop/crime shows have blatant scenes of overdone exposition. By exposition I mean about two-thirds into the show when a character neatly sums up the plot for the audience while talking to colleagues. Because, yeah, the other cops and detectives have forgotten what they were working on solving. Sometimes I think the character should look directly into the camera when summarizing the plot with an extreme closeup on character's face and no other soundtrack in the background. I mean, the director wants to bring us up to speed on what the dumb US viewers are watching and what better way to get us to look at the TV?

The Miss Marples with Margaret Rutherford are good. We stumbled across them and really enjoyed them. 3 are on Britbox and one you have to rent for a dollar or 2. You have to search for them as they don’t show in the britbox feed. Pretty much we watch it for the 2 months and catch up on everything and watch any new shows. Next year we will either get the Black Friday special or wait a full year and get the week for free and catch the ones we really like. I don’t believe there is enough content to justify the price and keep it.

I discovered the other night that there were 13 new episodes of Red Dwarf produced after it "ended" in 2012. Should be fun to see what these idiots have been up to.

These are good points.

The biggest difference for me is that the US cop/crime shows are ridiculously predictable. British shows, not so much. There really isn't much of a mystery in US detective private eye shows. I can usually figure out the culprit well before the reveal.

The second biggest difference for me is that the US cop/crime shows have blatant scenes of overdone exposition. By exposition I mean about two-thirds into the show when a character neatly sums up the plot for the audience while talking to colleagues. Because, yeah, the other cops and detectives have forgotten what they were working on solving. Sometimes I think the character should look directly into the camera when summarizing the plot with an extreme closeup on character's face and no other soundtrack in the background. I mean, the director wants to bring us up to speed on what the dumb US viewers are watching and what better way to get us to look at the TV?

Reminds me of Michael York as the "Basil Exposition" character in the Austin Powers movies.

Plus US police shows trade drama for realism...e.g. detectives say they'll arrest & take to the precinct the person they're questioning (at their home or place of work) if they won't answer questions.

Last edited:
The old Upstairs Downstairs is on BB. I love it more than Downton Abbey. It may take you 2-3 episodes to start loving it, but it’s so worth it.

Tonight I watched S01E01 of "One Foot in the Grave" which is a comedy about a guy going on early retirement and becoming somewhat bitter about it. He hasn't quite figured out what to do with himself now that he's not working. Lots of sharp curmudgeonly one-liners of which most landed. I see some real potential.
OK, three episodes in and I'm hooked on this show. The main character is a crotchety, sarcastic wit whose long-suffering wife cheerfully endures. The guy has some of the worst luck that puts him in truly comedic situations. I have a friend who could be this guy so when I watch the show I can envision him in the lead.

The show has some dark humor, seems to be a lot of mention of illnesses and deaths, which of course is a reality for over 60 year olds. Also, the title of the show, "One Foot in the Grave" is apt.

Like most British shows the first episode serves as an introduction and does not necessarily shine. You've got to sample the 2nd episode to truly get a feel for it.

Jonathan Creek. The inventive brain behind a stage illusionist's magic show is pressed into solving a murder which involves the classic locked room scenario. The mystery solved is more about how the crime was committed and not so much about who did the crime.

Jonathan is somewhat of a cynical reclusive nerd and his logical and inventive thinking comes into play when puzzling out murders. He works with a brash independent investigative journalist. Their personalities clash at first but they work well to solve the crimes. There is an undercurrent of humor in the show which adds to the enjoyment.

I have not been able to solve any of the 6 episodes I've watched, though I've gotten some elements in a couple of the mysteries sorted out.

If you like "whodunnit" brain teasers you should be loving this show. Well written, the only downside is it was originally produced in the late 90's so it's not in high def. Not a problem for me as the content is worth it.

Well we are winding down. I’m only doing the 2 months $1.99 special.

By far the best murder mystery was the Maigret series set in 1950s Paris (Montmatre specifically) with Rowan Atkinson. The second season was even better than the first. Truly a cut above. Great period work on top of wonderful stories.

I watched (listened to) several of the Vera series but usually while cooking. Generally very complicated plots.

I have so much to watch on other channels I’m letting go after this month.

Last edited:
I thought that sounded fantastic. Montmartre is such a beautiful place. But the wiki says those scenes were filmed in Hungary.

Still put it on my radar.

I thought that sounded fantastic. Montmartre is such a beautiful place. But the wiki says those scenes were filmed in Hungary.

Still put it on my radar.
I guess it didn’t matter that it was filmed in Hungary as it still looked like Montmatre with all the steep cobbled alleyways and streets. But yeah they don’t provide wide scenic views or of the Basilica.

If you are a Charles Dickens fan you will enjoy Dickensian. It is a series that brings together all of your favorite Dickens characters into one plot. "Scrooge meets Fagin meets Miss Havisham in a riotous mix of Dickens' most loved characters - their lives intertwined on one mysterious street, and in the murder of Jacob Marley."

Back
Top Bottom