Most beautiful (classical) music

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Thought it might be a pleasant respite for those so inclined. Please post your candidate, video, audio or just title.

I first heard this when a critic said it was the most beautiful classical piece ever written (classically inspired may be more accurate). Not sure if it's the (singular) best, but it's probably right up there.

Andrea Bocelli- Con te Partiro - YouTube

Last edited:
I have been partial to most any of Tchaikovsky's music. I don't much care for the heavy violins of some other composers.

Beethoven, Symphony No. 9

For me, this is the most perfect piece of music ever written. I had the good fortune to see it performed live years ago at the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing arts in Vienna, VA. We had lawn seats and brought a blanket to sit on and some refreshments. It was a beautiful night. Laying on our backs, staring up at the night sky and listening to the Ode to Joy was one of those magic moments I'll never forget.

"Prelude to the Afternoon of a Fawn" by Claude Debussy. "1812 Overture" by Tchaikovsky.

Beethoven, Symphony No. 9

For me, this is the most perfect piece of music ever written. I had the good fortune to see it performed live years ago at the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing arts in Vienna, VA. We had lawn seats and brought a blanket to sit on and some refreshments. It was a beautiful night. Laying on our backs, staring up at the night sky and listening to the Ode to Joy was one of those magic moments I'll never forget.
I agree on the most perfect piece music. The first time I heard it was a July 4th concert by the Minneapolis Symphony in Powderhorn Park.

I have a few Bocelli songs I like better but I agree that Pavorati's Nessun Dorma is about as good as it gets.

Rachmaninoff, rocks.

The Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 or

Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43

Both pieces take me places.

2 polar opposites:

Debussy's Clair de Lune
Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue

Both have been favorites of mine since childhood.

Amethyst

I love Bocelli's Con te Partiro and Gershwin's Rapsody in Blue. I took classical piano for nine years and played both Chopin's Polanaise and Rachmaninoff in C# Minor in recitals. I've gotten away from the purist classical and haven't touched a piano in years. When I married my current wife about 40 years ago, she taught me to chord on the piano and that got me into pop music. Prior to that I could only play as written off sheet music. Then we bought an organ and we played duets. She played organ in church and was good at it. But, that got me away from classical and into pop. Both instruments gone years ago as are our talents along with numerous other things.

For me, it is impossible to choose one most beautiful classical piece. But today, one piece comes to mind. This is Chopin's Waltz #14 in E Minor (posthumous), which I played in a recital back in junior high. It is a haunting piece and I have never heard a performance of it that did it justice, by me or anybody else.

Chopin Waltz no.14 in E minor (op.posth.). - YouTube

Last edited:
Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

Lots of beautiful choices, just what I was hoping for with this thread.

My two favorite classical albums growing up were Peter and the Wolf (Prokofiev) and Mozart Horn Concertos performed by Dennis Brain, I wore the grooves off both albums. French horn and cello have always been my favorite instruments in the orchestra.

A sample Mozart Horn Concerto No.3 in E flat I Allegro - Dennis Brain.wmv - YouTube

From this album
G2SMcdcab89e-6fde-4b4b-be69-f02f452e48f5-7639.jpg

Last edited:
Love this thread! When I was growing up, my dad was in the Altoona (Pennsylvania) symphony orchestra. I know that it's funny now to think about Altoona having a symphony, but we grew up as little kids being dragged to the symphony, and we all grew up having an appreciation for classical music.

Anyway, one of the pieces that they did back then was Tchaikovsky's 4th. We had the record, and listened to it over and over while Dad got familiar with the music. I have it on my iPod, and it always brings back great memories!

And whoever said "Peter and the Wolf" - yes!! Fun, fun music. We had a record of that also, and totally wore it out.

I'm sure many of you, like me, found Disney's Fantasia quite remarkable. It inspired an appreciation for classical music when I was very young. Here's "A Night on Bald Mountain" and "Ave Maria, Op. 52 No. 6".

Fantasia - Night on Bald Mountain HD - YouTube

I'm sure many of you, like me, found Disney's Fantasia quite remarkable. It inspired an appreciation for classical music when I was very young. Here's "A Night on Bald Mountain" and "Ave Maria, Op. 52 No. 6".
I enjoyed watching that, it had been quite a while, thanks. Hard to imagine Fantasia was made 72 years ago, with some pretty dark imagery for Disney. I also enjoyed it, though my parents listened to classical music at home, and gave me lessons on several instruments, so I was immersed at an early age too. And kids today think 'mashups' are something new...

Avalon: Pachelbel's Canon in D IS one of the greatest pieces of all time IMO. I have many artist/arrangements of it and I love them all, including the one you linked, thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom