Most Passionate Songs Ever

As a friend of mine would say, this is a woman who could sing stormy wear her.

Warning, somewhat of a downer for a Monday morning.

Excellent version. Those Germans are masters of sexual menace.

Here is the song sung by the woman for whom it was written

YouTube - Mack the Knife Sung by Lotte Lenya

its a wonderful version Lotte was the wife of the composer Kurt Weil
She played Jenny

But the song was written for the show and the first Moritatsanger was
Kurt Gerron, later murdered in Auschwitz.
YouTube - Macky Messer - Kurt Gerron sings Mack the Knife from Threepenny Opera
here is a 1928 record with his version
(its the next to last piece)
http://www.poolpi.com/0/video/Moritat/RkwcQ6Ys4hY.html

Here's a great one for any of you who are like I am fans of the emotion of loss-When the World Was Young, I believe one of the great Johnny Mercer songs.
YouTube - Peggy Lee on The Judy Garland Show

I saw this beautiful woman sing this song at the old Lookout House Night Club back when illegal gambling supported very high class entertainment. I was 13 or 14, and my buddy's Dad was an executive at this club and he took us from time to time. I saw many of the great entertainers of the generation ahead of me thanks to my friendship with this super guy and his family. His Mom was a former Rockette, and I thought I had never seen a mother as beautiful or as nice in my entire life. She only recently died.

Bobby Kennedy ruined all this in the early 60s and my buddy and his family moved to Las Vegas.

Ha

its a wonderful version Lotte was the wife of the composer Kurt Weil
She played Jenny

But the song was written for the show and the first Moritatsanger was
Kurt Gerron, later murdered in Auschwitz.

here is a 1928 record with his version
(its the next to last piece)
http://www.poolpi.com/0/video/Moritat/RkwcQ6Ys4hY.html

Thank you Emeritus. I didn't even know of Kurt Gerron. His version was excellent. Many of the later American singers totally missed the emotion- worst one IMO was Frank Sinatra's.

My first taste of the power of Weimar caberet music was when I ushered for a stage version of The Blue Angel while I was still in high school. It is really a play for a more mature man or woman, but I remember being bowled over by the tragedy of the hopelessly smitten professor. Then I saw the film with Marlene Dietrich at film society in university. It msut have been German with subtitles, but I cannot remember for certain.

Whoa!

Ha

"Down So Low," Tracy Nelson, back when she sang with Mother earth ( 1968-69?)

Love that song, first LP I bought when I arrived in college in 1968. Saw them live, hard to believe so much sound can come from such a little person. Converted the LP to MP3 but had too many scratches, just bought it again from itunes.

Now, DW absolutely hates the song, makes funny parodies when I sing it.

Unless Google led me astray... "Very sweet and gentle" is the perfect attitude.

I used to hear Cannonbll and Nate at the Village Vanguard back in the mid 60s. Lots of very hard bebop, but lots of this sweet stuff too. I loved them.

Yes, very sweet and gentle. It makes me feel very good about being in this world.

Ha

Love this one by the Police.

YouTube - The Police - Every Breath You Take (Black and White Version)/QUOTE]
Ummm... you do know that's a song about a deranged stalker, right? I saw Sting being interviewed about it - he said he found it really weird that people play it at weddings a lot.

You want passion? This song gives me goosebumps (especially at 2:22 when the piano comes in). Best song ever written about a friend who died.
Elbow - Friend of Ours

Love this one by the Police.

YouTube - The Police - Every Breath You Take (Black and White Version)/QUOTE]
Ummm... you do know that's a song about a deranged stalker, right? I saw Sting being interviewed about it - he said he found it really weird that people play it at weddings a lot.

Well, one thing you gotta say about a stalker, he is passionate. :)

Yeah, I know. Carpenters. But hey, I've always loved Karen's voice. There now. I've admitted it. I feel so much better now. At least she's not a stalker, right? :rolleyes:

YouTube - Carpenters - Superstar 1971

Back
Top Bottom