Moving to a new location because of heart disease?

It is tough to draw a correlation between one factor when so many factors are involved, You are assuming that the cause is geographic when it probably is a lot of different factors including race, ethnicity, obesity, alcohol consumption, diet, etc.

I went up to the DC area to help my daughter move a couple of weeks ago. She has moved close to to the Metro and shopping so we did quite a bit of walking. We did use the car because we were moving and buying things for her new apartment but we walked to go to dinner and to the grocery store. I even walked to the Metro on my way home to get to the airport.
There were stairs to climb, hills to walk up. Just more exercise getting to your destination.

It is tough to draw a correlation between one factor when so many factors are involved, You are assuming that the cause is geographic when it probably is a lot of different factors including race, ethnicity, obesity, alcohol consumption, diet, etc.

Good point.
That column of states in the middle, MT, Wy, CO, NM, might contain some cranky folks who would tell a survey done by the federal govt. [CDC] to go fish instead of answering straight. The caption says "adults reporting" , but I have no idea how they came by the counts. That whole stack is cattle country, too, I bet they aren't chowing down on tofu tonite.

Very interesting map! Who would have thought AZ would be a "heartbreak" center, just like the Southern States?

The reason I said that was because, in my mind, I was comparing it to the obesity map by CDC below. It shows that the Southern States and Texas have the highest obesity rate. Yep, there's some correlation there.

Arizonans are [-]thinner[/-] less heavy than New Mexicans, yet we have more heart problems. Other than the dry heat in AZ and the higher elevation of NM (considering only population centers), I could not think of any other factors.

Conclusion: Between AZ and Texas, either the dry heat or the chiggers will get ya! Better move to Montana where you will be "lean and mean".

map26.jpg

Last edited:
Careful! Some of those low coronary states have lots of mud-chiggers. They gum up your car's fuel line as well as your arteries.

Last edited:
Maybe this is related:

Attachments

• image-2559798358.png
    image-2559798358.png
    133 KB · Views: 41
Wisconsin is kind of heavy on the obesity map and of course everyone there eats lots of cheese all the time, but it is in the lowest category for heart disease on the first map. Why is that?

There have been a lot of hoaxes regarding state average IQs vs. how they vote, but one thing appears true.

That is the higher in latitude, the higher the average IQ. Perhaps cold and long winters are more conducive to reading books near the fireplace and that makes them smarter, rather than "fooling" around in the outdoors like their Southerner brethren?

PS. A map I found on the Web to link in was deleted! Not sure how official or accurate it is anyway.

Last edited:
There have been a lot of hoaxes regarding state average IQs vs. how they vote, but one thing appears true.

That is the higher in latitude, the higher the average IQ. Perhaps cold and long winters are more conducive to reading books near the fireplace, rather than "fooling" around in the outdoors?

PS. A map I found on the Web to link in was deleted! Not sure how official or accurate it is anyway.

[mod hat on]All I saw with that map was the "red x", so I got the URL from your post and tested it in another window. It seemed to work but for some reason it wasn't showing up in your post. I'm not sure why. Try inserting the image again, maybe? [/mod hat off]

I think during those long and cold winters, northerners are out shoveling snow and trying to start their cars. That's why so many want to move south when they grow older.

Last edited:
I just tried again, and it still does not work. It turned out to be about some high school tests and not I.Q. test, but it collaborated what T-Al posted above.

Here's a hypothesis as to why people in colder climates are thinner. Their bodies have to burn off all that fat to stay warm. Duh! :cool:

Yet, Arizonans are not as heavy as other Southern states. It's because the dry heat melts off all the bacon in their bodies. ;)

Last edited:
Here it is. But then, if it doesn't refer to the tests you were discussing, then perhaps it isn't that relevant. Oh well.

eapclaabi.jpg

Last edited:
Going from Atlanta to Denver or Salt Lake City or Jackson or Kalispell is like traveling to a different world. In the Atlanta airport obesity is the norm. In the western airports we have recently flown into it seems like most the people are lean and fit. The lower number of smokers is also very noticeable. Think there might be any link between obesity and smoking and heart disease?

All these spurious correlations being given as causes for HD mortality! Looking at the map, it is smack-down obvious that heart disease is in fact caused solely by chiggers. Go where it is either too cold, or too dry, for chiggers, and live forever.

Ha

There's just nothing better than an appetizer of queso and chips followed by homemade flour tortillas (lard, not shortening), grilled fajitas, beans, and an ice cold beer (or two). Oh, wait, there is something better - breakfast tacos - homemade tortillas filled with fried taters, scrambled eggs, picante sauce, cheese, and whatever else is available.

Just about everything we ate while I was growing up was fried and/or had cream gravy on it. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes with cream gravy, biscuits with cream gravy, and corn that always seemed to wind up next to the mashed potatoes and cream gravy and became a corn/taters/gravy mixture. Sometimes, if we were out of biscuits, we'd have a piece of white bread with gravy tossed on top of it.

Afternoon snacks were homemade tortillas and brown beans. The preferred drink, besides an ice cold beer, is sweetea. Yes, that's one word in Texas. And all visitors were assumed to be hungry and thirsty.

Remember those sweltering evenings when you were growing up (this was before everyone had air conditioning) and the neighbors would get together and make homemade ice cream?

Food and drink have been an important part of Texas tradition. We're earned that darn ugly color. However, I must point out one little fact - there has been tremendous population migration from other states this past decade so I'm not sure the problem is completely Texas-grown.

There's an old Chinese saying that, roughly translated, says "Even if you move into the doghouse, it doesn't mean you will hump your master's leg."

OK, I made that up, but it's relevant here.

According to the chart there is as little as a 1.7% difference in heart disease rates between the best and worst states, not exactly a guarantee of a healthy heart just by living in one of the best states. What could skew the results a little against the southern states is the higher concentration of retirees in the southern states. Many of whom brought their heart disease with them when they migrated from up north. I agree with others, it really comes down to ones lifestyle, not where one lives.

WV has an older population and an obesity problem and too many people smoke. I wonder why it ranks high. I think that you must take care of your own health and it really doesn't make a difference where you live. However, it is not easy for some people to go along with the crowd and go out to eat at too many places that have a lot of unhealthy food. Sort of the peer pressure thing.

Back
Top Bottom