Moving to Florida

We (DW & I) moved to Orlando area, hated it (way to commercial) left after 6 months & moved to NE FL really liked it and stayed there about 19 years. Moved a parent there also. However now have resided in OH for eight years about 50 miles East of you. We have lived all over the eastern US Alaska & Hawaii but really enjoy OH. To answer your question however endeavor to move as light as you can. Get rid of anything you will not absolutely need and have a identifiably specfic use for anything you take (no "nice to have" stuff). Lots of cheap lightly used stuff already down there. When we moved from VA to FL from 6 BR home (after 4 kids) we stored our stuff in a 10X10 storage location. It was tough to cut it down that much but it made the move much easier. However it sounds like you already have the FL home so moving in "stages" is probable and should be a bit easier. Good luck.

Last edited:
You have to take the pup, he's family. You are downsizing big time. We had another poster(OAG) once who moved from city to city and rented furnished apartments. Looked like an interesting lifestyle as he moved around all over the country. He even had a blog about his adventures for a while. He was a little on the strange side though. Got banned from this site and his blog disappeared so don't know if he ever settled on a particular area. Wasn't trying to compare you to OAG, just meant your plan seems like a good way to go in finding the area you want to settle. Good luck.

I think you mean OAP (Old Age Pensioner)...

Kahn, take the stuff you want to surround you, like books, CDs/vinyl, easy chair?, then donate the rest. You won't miss it, or have to pay to move it!

We moved to the West Coast last year after jettisoning 70% of our stuff. The process of downsizing was lengthy (6 months) and a bit painful at times (lots of second-guessing). So I would advise to start ASAP.

Last edited:
Before making the commitment to moving why not give it a six month trial run .A lot of people love Florida but some hate it and end up moving back . If you love it get rid of 90% of your stuff . I moved down furniture only to donate a lot of it to the Salvation army within a year .Keep a coat in case you need to make a trip up north but get rid of all wool clothes.

We sold everything that did not mean anything to us, including furniture, TVs etc. basically anything that was replaceable (to us). we had 50 other boxes of other stuff that we took with us. Rented Furnished for 2 years, Bought new everything else when we settled.

I'm moving from a small 3 bedroom house to a part of a small 2 bedroom. Won't be taking much.

Dealing with my parents' stuff has been eye opening experience. I hope to continue to lighten my load as I go on.

That was an eye-opener for us too and FIL didn't really have all that much. Not even close to a candidate for Hoarders.

I'm halfway thinking an option is to decide what we want to keep, then call an auctioneer and say "Make the rest go away".

In dealing with FIL's stuff one guy who did hauling said "There's no such thing as junk!" after learning we'd thrown some stuff out that we thought would be useless to anyone, like a thin sheet metal desk with a bent leg. Although it's possible he's a candidate for Hoarders....

I have a big issue with downsizing, I know it is my issue. We have 3,300 sqft at the moment. I know it sounds like a lot, but the ONLY part we do not use is the Guest Suite, Frankly I wish we did not have it. It is over the garage and has to be kept cooler than with the AC off (It has it's own AC). It is about 400sqft including it's on suite bathroom. It reminds me of a large hotel room. The house in general 1 a 3 bedroom with Formal Open Dining Area and Study/4th Bedroom. We really do use it all. Dining Not so much.

Back
Top Bottom