Moving to Florida

Oooo! A Florida thread! I'm a board newbie (registered this morning). Once I retire in 2023, I'm planning on moving BACK to Florida after 16 years in the Pacific NW. Celebration to be exact. I'm one of those Disney fanatics who NEEDS to be near WDW.

Florida is a beautiful state. I have lived there twice in the past few decades and it is calling me back...hot temps, humidity, and hurricanes and all!
We’ll be right here waiting for you. It won’t have changed much since you were last here - heat, hurricanes, skeeters, flip flops, bad drivers, etc. Just a bit older and a few more people. Still good, though :greetings10:

Oooo! A Florida thread! I'm a board newbie (registered this morning). Once I retire in 2023, I'm planning on moving BACK to Florida after 16 years in the Pacific NW. Celebration to be exact. I'm one of those Disney fanatics who NEEDS to be near WDW.

Florida is a beautiful state. I have lived there twice in the past few decades and it is calling me back...hot temps, humidity, and hurricanes and all!

Love FLA on the Tampa side.
Retirement living here worth all the other stuff.

All good to hear! Lots of my friends think I'm crazy! Then I tell them I have already lived in FL. Twice. I miss it. Every time I visit, it just feels like home.

That's the way to go. You've lived here and really know what it's like.

After 30+ years in Florida, I'm looking to get out after having moved from Massachusetts right after high school.:cool:

I lived briefly in Key Largo but spent the lion's share of my time on the Space Coast and Treasure Coast. When I first got here I couldn't get enough of the ocean. Now I'm tired of it. Water quality has really become an issue.

After a few more years to reach full retirement I'll probably end up in Tennessee.

There is a definite aftertaste when you drink the tap water in Florida but I've lived here for so long I'm used to it. When I travel I can definitely taste the difference.

There is a definite aftertaste when you drink the tap water in Florida but I've lived here for so long I'm used to it. When I travel I can definitely taste the difference.

I’m not in Florida, but I only drink from our refrigerator which has a good filter. Wouldn’t a filter get rid of any aftertaste?

The LG filters are certified to NSF/ANSI Standards 42 and 53. If I didn’t use that, I think I would look into those Zero Water pictures or go full on osmosis under the sink.

We lived behind the Magic Kingdom for a few years, and considered moving to Celebration. MIL and FIL rented there frequently when they worked at Disney.

I think the aquifer is getting some sea water incursion. The ions add to the bad taste. Generally this is harmless.

Living in FL had its ups and downs. Some of the stuff recently mentioned were the downsides, i.e. the tax haven seekers or whatever. These people don't build good community.

Would I move back? Maybe. Probably west coast Tampa and south. I don't like the east coast culture.

Florida is a beautiful state and although no state is perfect, it has so much to offer.

I would think that anyone planning to move there, might want to consider renting for a couple of years before buying. As has been pointed out, there are so many factors to consider.

Here are some observations/opinions, although those who live there know so much more about it than I ever will:

Pluses:
1) Beautiful warm weather and sunshine; orange groves and palm trees.
2) Amazing blue/green ocean and Gulf waters
3) Spectacular sandy beaches
4) So much to see or do - - Disney World, Busch Gardens, the Everglades, Key West, golf, swimming, diving, boating, and so much more.
5) No income tax (and even better, reasonable COL)

Minuses:
1) Hurricanes and Tropical Storms. I have heard that South Florida might be difficult or impossible to evacuate from if you wait until the interstate is jammed.
2) Sometimes it would be helpful to know Spanish in Florida (especially south Florida). You can cross this disadvantage off if you speak Spanish.
3) Billions of old people. Well, millions. But I mean, REALLY old people. Most of them are driving on the interstates at 20 mph.
4) The Florida panhandle is beautiful too, but people call it "lower Alabama" which I think could be slightly annoying to those who live there. Not that there's anything wrong with Alabama, but it is meant as an insult I guess. Plus, northern Florida gets a lot colder in the winter than south Florida.
5) Some parts of Florida tend to get sinkholes.
6) There are a lot of bugs in Florida, due to the warm climate.

We will never move there, but not because there is anything wrong with Florida. We are just happy here and no longer have any desire to move. I think it would be a great destination for anyone else, if they check it out to find a location within Florida that is best for them.

I second the #5 pro
No income tax ( even better COL)
No big surprise a lot of wealthy individual of all walks of life declare FL as their primary residence to save on paying state income taxes and a number of other taxes ( tax haven state)
Supposed law on living in FL for at least 6 months of the year to qualify as their primary residence. ( very rarely if at all enforced).

Supposed law on living in FL for at least 6 months of the year to qualify as their primary residence. ( very rarely if at all enforced).

Which law is this? Would you mind providing us with a link or reference? I am aware of no such law or requirement.

Please feel free to google
6 month and 1 day - Florida

Have a good one!

Our family has wintered in Fort Lauderdale since the early 50's. Grampy bought land right after the war.

As W2R noted, every place has it's positives and negatives. The weather is the best part IMO at least in the winter compared to Boston and it always takes us a few days to get used to how nice and friendly people are (again, compared to Boston). I still find it hard to believe I can get my car washed and hand dried for $7 here!

It's changed a lot but for us it's still 'home' (winter-wise). Crowded in-season but because it's a large metropolitan business area we don't get the large influx of old people that other areas have; lots of working families and young folks living here.

It DOES seem to be turning more and more into North Miami however with lots of new, and very expensive ($5MM+) high rise condos at the expense of small family-run beach hotels or homes; an entire block of them might get bought up and torn down to make room.
For those of a certain age, the rumor is that The Elbo Room is among those on borrowed time.

Summers are brutal but we're back north by then. There does seem to be a bit more crime and weird stuff but not so much along the beach/tourist areas.

Last edited:
Please feel free to google
6 month and 1 day - Florida

Have a good one!
Sorry, but no. Other readers should be aware that this is not the case. It’s not helpful.

Residency in a Florida is not determined not by how many days one spends here.
The ability to avoid paying income taxes to another state depends on that state tax regulations.

Our family has wintered in Fort Lauderdale since the early 50's. Grampy bought land right after the war.

As W2R noted, every place has it's positives and negatives. The weather is the best part IMO at least in the winter compared to Boston and it always takes us a few days to get used to how nice and friendly people are (again, compared to Boston). I still find it hard to believe I can get my car washed and hand dried for $7 here!

It's changed a lot but for us it's still 'home' (winter-wise). Crowded in-season but because it's a large metropolitan business area we don't get the large influx of old people that other areas have; lots of working families and young folks living here.

It DOES seem to be turning more and more into North Miami however with lots of new, and very expensive ($5MM+) high rise condos at the expense of small family-run beach hotels or homes; an entire block of them might get bought up and torn down to make room.
For those of a certain age, the rumor is that The Elbo Room is among those on borrowed time.

Summers are brutal but we're back north by then. There does seem to be a bit more crime and weird stuff but not so much along the beach/tourist areas.
Have friends that are real estate agents in Broward and Dade Counties, FL. There are a number of foreign investors buying up million dollar real estate as second or third homes in South Florida that realtors have to learn or hire agents that speak Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Turkish, Arabic, French, German so they can at least be somewhat conversational in the foreign languages.

That’s a good link with reasonable advice, thanks. Most states, including Florida, do not define or have specific residency requirements. As stated previously and in many other threads, what really matters is being able to convince the tax authorities in the high tax state that one is not a resident and not subject to the taxes there.

O
Ft. Lauderdale certainly has undergone a dramatic transformation. I lived down there during the huge change to spring break in the 80s.

That’s a good link with reasonable advice, thanks. Most states, including Florida, do not define or have specific residency requirements. As stated previously and in many other threads, what really matters is being able to convince the tax authorities in the high tax state that one is not a resident and not subject to the taxes there.

+1 And some states do make it pretty hard to do so.
They just won't let you go easily; you need to prove that you vote, have a drivers license, long-ish term mailing address, etc etc. in the new state.

At least in Mass, you can't just say "Oh, I live out of state now".

Stay away from space coast...ok to pass through on your way south...We got nothing here ...nada...

Same for St. Augustine, just please pass her by...…

Not so! We’re in South Florida, which is quite overdeveloped and very crowded, and pass through those northern areas frequently. They look like wonderful places to live. Definitely less crowded :)

Not so! We’re in South Florida, which is quite overdeveloped and very crowded, and pass through those northern areas frequently. They look like wonderful places to live. Definitely less crowded :)

You Spolier you. I think we were being facetious and/or sarcastic, at least I was…. :)

I always wondered where Floridians went on vacation. If you go to the mountains of North Georgia, NW SC, Western NC and East Tennessee, 1/3 of the auto license plates are from Florida. And the RV campgrounds are also frequented by Florida tagged RV's. It's almost like a change of elevation and 4 seasons are popular.

We seldom even go to Florida unless flying internationally, and we spend our off time in the mountains already.

Back
Top Bottom