Music Trivia

After the Beatles' breakup each of the Fab Four continued as individual performers. Each had one or more #1 hits in the US. Which former Beatle was the first to chart a single at #1 in the US?
And which Beatle was 4th to do so?

Extra credit if you can name the songs. We all know them.

1st - George Harrison "My Sweet Lord"
last - (this is a wild guess) John Lennon "Instant Karma"

1st - George Harrison "My Sweet Lord"
last - (this is a wild guess) John Lennon "Instant Karma"
You are correct that George was first and John last. "My Sweet Lord" was also correct, that was in 1970.

Well done!

"Instant Karma" topped at #3 as did "Imagine". "Whatever Gets You Through the Night" was John's 1st #1 post breakup in 1974. With all his great songs, he only had two numbers 1s in the US.

Curiously, Ringo scored his 2 and only before John had one, with "Photograph" and "You're Sixteen", in 1973.

Paul of course had a number 1 with "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" in 1971.

Thanks for your answer!

Of the original Small Faces-What member left to form a new band?

- What was the name of this new band?

- Who was the lead guitarist of this new band?

Why did the Small Faces change their name to The Faces?

This singer song writer grew up in my hometown. Won 27 grammy awards (ranking 3rd behind Quincy Jones). Collaborated with Robert Plant in 2007-2008.

Of the original Small Faces-What member left to form a new band? Steve Marriott

- What was the name of this new band? Humble Pie

- Who was the lead guitarist of this new band? Peter Frampton

Why did the Small Faces change their name to The Faces?
Not sure why

Alison Krauss - I cheated . Googled it.
Not cheating. Who would know this stuff off the top of their head?:blush:
I do enjoy "researching" the world of music. I can't sing or play an instrument. I'm always stunned when true talent and originality emerge out of unusual circumstances.

I saw the original first draft of Mozart's Messiah at a museum in Prague with side notes (all in his original hand). It felt like a lightening bolt. I kept thinking "no way" is that real?

Speaking of Small Faces... As an American, I have absolutely no idea what an Itchycoo is. Must be groovy baby!

Small Faces had quite a lineup

Steve Marriott - guitar/vocals.

Ronnie Lane- Bass/vocal

Ian McLagan - keyboards/vocals. Late 70s/early 80s toured with the Stones.
Saw him a few times in venues here around Chicago. Band was called the Bump Band. They were great. Sure they are on Youtube.

Actually had a brief conversation with him - a real down to earth guy.

Kenney Jones - Drums. In the Who after Mooonie passed away.

Who recorded the first record with an electric guitar?

Bing Crosby with Les Paul in 1945

Who recorded the first record with an electric guitar?

Bing Crosby with Les Paul in 1945

63 posts in and there's a tune that I like.:angel:

Crosby/Paul was the first #1 with electric guitar, but the first commercial recording with electric guitar seems to have been done in 1938 with George Barnes backing Big Bill Broonzy on two songs.

Sweetheart Land:

Also, Low Down Dirty Shame:

Two great tunes! Three counting the Crosby one.

Last edited:
One was by the King of Rock 'n' Roll...name it. :cool:
Another was by some guy who started out his musical career heavily influenced by Dylan. (There is film of the two meeting in an English hotel room, playing songs on guitar to each other.)

And another hit song of late 1968 into 1969 with an extended coda was performed by this multi-hit African-American group that performed on "The Ed Sullivan Show" several times. Who and what hit single?

Finally, this ~7:30 long LP song, also with a long coda, was by this British group. :confused:?

And a Happy 79th Birthday, Ringo!

Last edited:
Finally, this ~7:30 long LP song, also with a long coda, was by this British group. :confused:?

Argent? Hold your Head up>

Last edited:
Only 3 artists have sold at least 100m Records both as a solo artist and as a member of a group. Can you name them?

I can only come up with Paul McCartney and Phil Collins. Maybe Lionel Ritchie? Hopefully not Sting...:rolleyes:

And another hit song of late 1968 into 1969 with an extended coda was performed by this multi-hit African-American group that performed on "The Ed Sullivan Show" several times. Who and what hit single? ...

I had a guess, and only checked youtube for the song length, and was wrong ("Up, Up and Away", by the Fifth Dimension), my second guess was "Papa was a Rollin' Stone", which does show it to be long, don't recall if it was all in the coda though.

edit/add: This youtube link is the "full" version, 12 minutes long. A 4 minute intro. Not sure it really counts as an extended coda though, that sounds like the main song theme to me?

-ERD50

Last edited:
"I know, I know, I know...I know" Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone. As a 12 yr. old, I thought that song was about me :))

No place to post this, so I'm intruding...

Top songs of the 1940's... Particularly 1943 to 1950... I went to the website:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_number-one_singles_of_the_1940s

... and found, that despite my memory problems, I could sing at least the first verse of 90% of the songs on the list. Nice, because now I can go to Amazon Music and sing along with the top singers. At the time, almost all on the radio, or when folks traded 78's.

I mean... can you sing the songs Chickery Chick, Chi-baba Chi-baba or Ole Buttermilk Sky?
Maybe Woody Woodpecker, Mule Train, or Smoke, Smoke, Smoke.:)

Last edited:
Glenn Miller: Kalamazoo.....watch the dance routine near the end...spectacular!

Wait! Caesar Romero is on the piano - and JACKIE GLEASON is on base? Can you just imagine what the after-party was like!!!

AND TRIVIA: Who is that GAL? And from which movie is the piece?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom