Music Trivia

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
New thread for those who know music trivia that may surprise some of us.

John Lennon wrote Dear Prudence about Mia Farrow's sister Prudence who became obsessed with meditation. He tried to coax her to come out and play.

The song "Down by the River" by Neil Young has nothing to do with murder.

Does everyone know that? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants:dance:

Last edited:
charles manson got the phrase helter skelter from a beatles song. also charles mannson wrote a song that was recorded by the beach boys.

The well-known song "My Way" recorded by Frank Sinatra was written by Paul Anka. Moreover, Anka just wrote the English lyrics to a French song that he heard while vacationing in France.

Anka said Sinatra would be the better singer of this song, and so let the latter recorded it.

The lyrics by Anka have nothing to do with the original "Comme d'habitude" ("As Usual") by Claude François (1967), which is a love song.

Comme d'habitude / As Usual

Je me lève et je te bouscule / I wake up and I bump you
Tu ne te réveilles pas, comme d'habitude / You do not wake up, as usual
Sur toi je remonte le drap / I put the sheet back on you
J'ai peur que tu aies froid, comme d'habitude / I am afraid that you are cold, as usual
Ma main caresse tes cheveux / My hand strokes your hair
Presque malgré moi, comme d'habitude / Almost unwillingly, as usual
Mais toi tu me tournes le dos, comme d'habitude / But you turn your back on me, as usual

Last edited:
^^That is hilarious. How do you get "My Way" out of that? Music is exactly right on.

The music is of course exact. Paul Anka had to pay a royalty for the rights to use the music. It could not be pirated.

The well-known song "My Way" recorded by Frank Sinatra was written by Paul Anka. Moreover, Anka just wrote the English lyrics to a French song that he heard while vacationing in France.

Anka said Sinatra would be the better singer of this song, and so let the latter recorded it.

The lyrics by Anka have nothing to do with the original "Comme d'habitude" ("As Usual") by Claude François (1967), which is a love song.
That is hilarious. All these years and I never knew it was just new English lyrics to a French song. I thought it was some great original.

Some people may not know about Paul Anka who wrote the lyrics of "My Way" that Sinatra recorded, but have heard his song "Diana", which he wrote at the age of 16 and became a top hit in 1958.

"Diana" was not his 1st song however, as he wrote "I Confess" at the age of 14.

Anka was Canadian-born to a Syrian-Canadian father, and a Lebanese-Canadian mother.

Last edited:
There are two more songs with some popularity that people may not know that they were originally French songs.

They are "If you go away", and "Seasons in the Sun".

In contrast with "My Way", these just mentioned songs had the English lyrics conveying roughly the same meaning as the original French lyrics.

Last edited:
The Monkees hit "I'm A Believer" was written by Neil Diamond. Here he does both versions back to back:

The song "All In The Game" (...many a tear has to fall, but its all in the game)

The melody was written by a former Vice President of the United States (Charles Dawes) and HIS great-grandfather rode on the midnight ride with Paul Revere.

Dawes and Sony Bono are the only two former legislators with #1 Billboard hits.

Tangental Trivia: DYK that Mike Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper?

A bit more Tangental Trivia: marko (me) knew David Lee Roth as a child.

The old Gong Show host Chuck Barris wrote the song Palisades Park for Freddy Boom Boom Cannon

Last edited:
The very popular 70s era song from Ace, "How Long" (has this been going on) sounds a lot about a song about unfaithfulness, probably adultery.

Nope. It is about another band member (bass player) having a side gig. He actually plays bass on the song.

A song in the 60's just as powerful as Louie Louie was in the 50's was ( The Pusher ) used in the Cult Classic movie opening scene ( Easy Rider ) . Song was written by Hoyt Axton a Country / Folk singer . who wrote the song as anti drug song . Steppenwolf covered the song we remember. By the way Hoyt Axton also wrote ( Joy To The World ) . The one you sang to was by the Three Dog Night.

A song in the 60's just as powerful as Louie Louie was in the 50's was ( The Pusher ) used in the Cult Classic movie opening scene ( Easy Rider ) . Song was written by Hoyt Axton a Country / Folk singer . who wrote the song as anti drug song . Steppenwolf covered the song we remember. By the way Hoyt Axton also wrote ( Joy To The World ) . The one you sang to was by the Three Dog Night.

And Hoyt Axton's mother wrote "Heartbreak Hotel"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Boren_Axton

(the earlier one on Michael Nesmith is my other rock and roll 'mother' trivia challenge). BTW, the more amazing thing to me is that Nesmith's mother actually made a very successful business from Liquid Paper. Often, the inventor never gets it off the ground, or competitors take over, or someone buys them out for a pittance. Impressive, especially considering the times.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I recently learned the instrumental that was ubiquitous during the 1970s, Love's Theme, has rarely-sung lyrics.

The Earth, Wind and Fire song "Reasons" has been a popular staple at weddings and seems to be about romance. However, the band said it is not about love or romance. It is actually about a one night stand, and not being able find any reasons to hang around after it.

"It Doesn't Matter Anymore" was written by Paul Anka (who also wrote the theme song to "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson")--which was a hit by Buddy Holly, Linda Ronstadt and Eva Cassidy:

How many bands can you name containing sibling members with the surname "Wilson" who had songs hit the Billboard top 40 (there are at least 5)?

Heart, The Beach Boys, Wilson Phillips and that's all I know

Only 3 artists have sold at least 100m Records both as a solo artist and as a member of a group. Can you name them?

How many bands can you name containing sibling members with the surname "Wilson" who had songs hit the Billboard top 40 (there are at least 5)?

I think the group Heart had some Wilson sisters?

Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
WAG

Sir Paul
Don Henley
Michael Jackson

Don Henley is not correct but you did get 2. Congrats!

Man, that was such a tough question I had to look it up.

Was surprised to see it was an Englishman who's solo music almost makes me turn away, but I like what he did with a group. I have none of his solo work in my iTunes library, but play songs from the group often.

Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
WAG

Sir Paul
Don Henley
Michael Jackson

Man, that was such a tough question I had to look it up.

Was surprised to see it was an Englishman who's solo music almost makes me turn away, but I like what he did with a group. I have none of his solo work in my iTunes library, but play songs from the group often.
Very talented guy though! His name is the stumper.

Oops, I erred - I meant to say Billboard Hot 100, not top 40. So I'll leave this open for a little while more :)

Heart, The Beach Boys, Wilson Phillips and that's all I know

I think the group Heart had some Wilson sisters?

Yep, those are three:
- Beach Boys (Brian, Dennis, Carl)
- Heart (Ann, Nancy)
- Wilson Phillips (Carnie, Wendy - Brian's daughters)

These are the pop/rock entries... Hint: the other two are from other music genres.

Back
Top Bottom