Must See Places, What Are Yours?

Basilique Notre Dame de Montreal Notre-Dame Basilica of Montréal was opened in 1829, so it's not the oldest cathedral in NA: that honor belongs to St. Louis Cathedral, NOLA, which has been in use since 1718. That said, Notre Dame is well worth a visit; try to catch the sound and light show. Having your wedding (Celine Dion) or funeral (Pierre Trudeau) here is a Canadian status symbol. Also worth seeing if you are in Montreal and like churches: St. Joseph's Oratory, on The Mountain. 20th century, 5 churches in one, amazing view! Oratoire St-Joseph :: Welcome

Disclaimer: I am not in the least religious, but I do like good architecture!

I don't think its that one that one, this one was started in the early 1600s. It burned down at least once but this one was rebuilt on the same site. They have a film and laser show inside that covers the history of the cathedral and Montreal. It is right in the downtown area about 2 blocks from the St. Lawrence.

Attachments

• 2008 Apr_May Benelux 017.jpg
    2008 Apr_May Benelux 017.jpg
    995.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2008 Apr_May Benelux 143.jpg
    2008 Apr_May Benelux 143.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 0
On the list is China and the Great Wall which I'll see next April. Also on the list is Russia and St.Petersburg. Have see all states in the US but Maine and Vermont so they're on the list too :)

coyote butte north.

boundary waters.

places still to check off (major ones):
kathmandu
bagan
patagonia
antarctica

Those are some photos, ronocnikral..wow.

Since I have a gob of free miles from American Airlines now, one of the first places I'd love to go is Asia (China, Philippines, Vietnam, etc. etc.). Never been and chomping at the bit to go.
And I'd like to visit India, also.
So many places, so little time...

Iguazu falls is the only place on my "bucket list". Good excuse to go back to South America! :)

I would probably add the Great Wall of China to the list too.

I have visited both and they are both definite must sees. The Great Wall really does live up to its name, even if you visit the touristy bits!

So far, Amsterdam and Morocco for starters.

Morocco was great - but you need to be well prepared to deal with very determined and skillful attempts to separate you from your money. Egypt (Lyxor and Giza in particular) and Jordan (Petra, Jerash etc) were absolutely fascinating.

High on my to do list:

1. Syria
2. Iran
3. Alaska
4. Safari in Africa (exact destination TBA)

my top 5 :

Paris

The Grand Canyon

The Great Wall of China

Mumbai

Hong Kong

Just out of interest, what is the attraction of Hong Kong as a tourist destination? It's a great city to live and work in, but unless you are a shopaholic, I've never really understood the appeal as a place to go for a holiday?

Alaska - I have to see a glacier

DW wants to visit every state. We have visited most, but I want to put together a list of must see places in each state and start over with the new list.

Also want to visit The Great Wall of China

I really want to see the Northern Lights sometime in my life. And it would be great to see polar bears in their natural habitat, although that might be pretty tough given that I live on the east coast and don't want to fly. ;)

We have been in a long trough of sunspot activity but it is supposed to be picking up over the next few years. Should be some great northern lights as a result. I remember my father dragging us out in the middle of the night to see the aurora. Haven't seen anything great for a few years but I haven't been out looking on dark clear nights either.

Predicting the Aurora - AuroraHunter.com - Northern Lights Photography from Alaska

Morocco was great - but you need to be well prepared to deal with very determined and skillful attempts to separate you from your money. Egypt (Lyxor and Giza in particular) and Jordan (Petra, Jerash etc) were absolutely fascinating.

High on my to do list:

1. Syria
2. Iran
3. Alaska
4. Safari in Africa (exact destination TBA)

Iran is high on my list as well. So is pakistan. I hopefully will bike around the world once in this lifetime.

I guess I will add N Korea and Cuba due to the forbidden nature of each (I'm American).

Inspired by the destination disappointments thread, how about the flip side. IMO there are places that have to be seen in person, no pictures can do them justice, often due to size/scale. The two that come to mind immediately are the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls. I've never been to Yosemite, but I gather it's that kind of place too.

What are the places, events, etc. - natural or manmade - that you think must be witnessed in person to appreciate? Something for all our bucket lists...

You mention the Yosemite. I just got back yesterday from my first visit there. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. I feel renewed and cannot wait to return one day. As my namesake says about the Yosemite:

"Oh, these vast, calm, measureless mountain days, inciting at once to work and rest! Days in whose light everything seems equally divine, opening a thousand windows to show us God. Nevermore, however weary, should one faint by the way who gains the blessings of one mountain day; whatever his fate, long life, short life, stormy or calm, he is rich forever." — from John of the Mountains (1938)

Hello TraineeInvestor - I most enjoyed visiting Victoria Peak, going to Kowloon, visiting the Central District, trying different restaurants for their Dim Sum (spelling?) etc. I went to Hong Kong twice only but enjoyed my visits every time. I felt like I was visiting a place where "East meets West" as they say. Fascinating experience.

Just out of interest, what is the attraction of Hong Kong as a tourist destination? It's a great city to live and work in, but unless you are a shopaholic, I've never really understood the appeal as a place to go for a holiday?

I have friends from Iran and have seen various documentaries on Iran. It looks like a fascinating destination! That being said, it ain't happening anytime soon! I really enjoyed the GlobeTrekker episode on Iran.

I had very high expectations of Petra. We first arrived at Wadi Musa (town just outside of Petra) after a great day of driving through Jordan visiting some ancient sites and swimming in the Dead Sea. I got a sinking feeling that it was going to be a bust because of the town. The town wasn't ugly, dangerous or dirty -- just uninteresting. But, I couldn't have been more wrong. Petra invokes so many positives adjectives!

Redwoods in northern California.

I've been around the world several times and they are more inspiriting than any man made structure.
Yes...I agree...:)

Oh...I almost forgot...I'd love to go to Spain and see Vicente...

Back
Top Bottom