The later years

I love reading your posts. None of us knows what will happen. We are in a 1400 sq ft single family home with low maintenance. We have 3 dogs but through natural attrition always plan to have one or two. We still love to travel at 64 but although I can still walk 10 miles/day can’t hike up mountains anymore but DH can. He is 5 years younger.

When I turn 80, my little guy will be 18 and heading off to college. I am expecting to "hit up" a few "frat parties" and like the "the old blind squirrel" maybe stumble upon a fresh young acorn.

You are definitely "Da Man."

There is nothing like young people.in the house to keep you young. The hard part is having a very active, healthy lifestyle trying to slow down natural aging.

My wife (70 yrs) and myself (68 hrs) have permanent legal custody of our 7 year old granddaughter. We always traveled extensively and intended to continue as long as possible. But we will no longer entrust our little girl to friends and DDIL while on vacations. She will be a very well traveled little girl.

Although I am a type II diabetic, my family has longetivity. My wife has terrible arthritis and her family does not live to be very old. My scare is that she would die before we get Brynley out of high school.

In the near future, I will spend days driving back and forth to school and extracurricular activities. I am no longer riding motorcycles, snow skiing or doing anything dangerous.. I am getting ready to build a new barn/garage, but it is going to be my last big building project. From here on, it will be just cutting grass.

So many people would look to raising another generation as a burden. Brynley is very bright and funny person, and every day with her is truly a Blessing.

We are just thankful to have the resources to retire 10 years ago, and should not have to get into retirement funds (other than RMDs) until our late 70s. Decisions are going to be made on setting up a special needs trust to take care of Brynley. After all, she is what really matters.

Last edited:
As we have aged, and our tolerance for the discomforts of travel decreased, you can see how our travel has lessened. DW's knee problems preclude us going on bus trips. Also, flying anywhere with the TSA BS and sardine can accommodations does not interest us any more.
That being said, we will be off on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii for our anniversary. NO flying:D

year travel days

2009 80
2010 72
2011 74
2012 48
2013 34
2014 35
2015 18
2016 2
2017 2

There is nothing like young people.in the house to keep you young. The hard part is having a very active, healthy lifestyle trying to slow down natural aging.

My wife (70 yrs) and myself (68 hrs) have permanent legal custody of our 7 year old granddaughter. We always traveled extensively and intended to continue as long as possible. But we will no longer entrust our little girl to friends and DDIL while on vacations. She will be a very well traveled little girl.

Although I am a type II diabetic, my family has longetivity. My wife has terrible arthritis and her family does not live to be very old. My scare is that she would die before we get Brynley out of high school.

In the near future, I will spend days driving back and forth to school and extracurricular activities. I am no longer riding motorcycles, snow skiing or doing anything dangerous.. I am getting ready to build a new barn/garage, but it is going to be my last big building project. From here on, it will be just cutting grass.

So many people would look to raising another generation as a burden. Brynley is very bright and funny person, and every day with her is truly a Blessing.

We are just thankful to have the resources to retire 10 years ago, and should not have to get into retirement funds (other than RMDs) until our late 70s. Decisions are going to be made on setting up a special needs trust to take care of Brynley. After all, she is what really matters.

Brynley is lucky to have you, and it sounds as though she is bringing a lot of joy into your life. I agree that being around younger people is helpful to avoid premature aging.

As we have aged, and our tolerance for the discomforts of travel decreased, you can see how our travel has lessened. DW's knee problems preclude us going on bus trips. Also, flying anywhere with the TSA BS and sardine can accommodations does not interest us any more.
That being said, we will be off on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii for our anniversary. NO flying:D

year travel days

2009 80
2010 72
2011 74
2012 48
2013 34
2014 35
2015 18
2016 2
2017 2

Over 70 days a year for your first 3 years is quite impressive. Our 1st full year will probably be ~25 days and 5 trips. Have not looked into slow traveling yet plus no RV for us.

When you can’t drive anymore due to age often you can’t walk very well either. I don’t see public transportation as an option. A driver or taxi, yes.

Love that name Brynley!
I’m sure she sees you as a Blessing as well.

When you can’t drive anymore due to age often you can’t walk very well either. I don’t see public transportation as an option. A driver or taxi, yes.

Driving... perhaps more important than any physical disability. We see the struggle to keep the license as the number one priority for all of the people in our CCRC. The last tie to independence. I just came back from the men's coffee hour. In front of the entrance, both of the busses owned by the complex were waiting. One to transport people to Walmart and the Mall, and the second to take the bowlers for their weekly match. While the busses aren't available on call, the schedules more than adequate, Dr. visit transportation is always available. . This is all part of our CCRC membership, even though we live in separate houses.

Another "help"...We have local markets that deliver and now, Walmart pick-up, and of course... Amazon, plus, soon, Pill Pack.

The best part of this, and the other facilities that are available to us, is the peace of mind about the future. While we don't look forward to this (hopefully 5 or 6 years away) we're comfortable, and feel no anxiety about going forward.

At 67 we're still going strong and figure that we'll plan for changes when they become needed. Until then we're trying to enjoy life the best we can. I'm particularly enjoying helping get my son's home ready for his re-occupancy following a renter and my son's 10 years overseas. Carpentry, tiling, general do it yourself stuff. Letting others paint though. I work a day, take a day off. Knees complain but it's all good.

Recently had some reality smack me in face as former coworker whose wife is 10 years younger than us diagnosed w pancreatic cancer stage IV to liver. Gotta have fun while the sun's still shining. All sorts of things could be wrong with us we aren't aware of yet, so let's get out there and enjoy life!

Nice post! I am sure Brynley is a lucky girl and will grow into womanhood with a well grounded upbringing and appreciation for life and it's adventures!

I have two son's (13 and 3) and my wife (37) works full time in a private clinic. My parents never travelled without us 3 children and to this day I can not bear to travel without my family. We are coming up from South America (spending two weeks in NYC and Washington DC) and this will be our second international trip this year.

In October my wife is travelling solo to Istanbul and Brisbane for a month alone. We talked about meeting her in Dubai with the kids midway, but I feel it is to long a trip and my kids have missed enough school this year.

I just stopped walking to/from school everyday with my 13 y/o, but still go with our nanny every afternoon to pick up the 3 year old. I will leave whatever I am doing or whoever I am with to see the smile on his face when I pick him up at 1:30.

Blessing, is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel!

I retired early and started writing. I've published 10 ebooks and will probably do a few more. Years before my wife retired I did an estimate of how much we would have to live on each month after she retired. We lived on that amount for several years and put every other dollar into paying off our mortgage. Now we have no debt except for credit cards and we pay them off every month. Each year we travel around the world, spending around 30 days in one location and another 30 in various countries. Together we've enjoyed Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Samoa, and with her girl group she has traveled to S. Korea and Japan. Planning how much money we would have was the key. She'll be 62 this year, but won't file for SS until she is 66.

I just hope I'm as physically capable as my parents and the majority of my aunts and uncles are/were in the 70's and beyond. I'd like to for us to continue to travel as much as we can but I realize we'll have to eventually transition to more easier and simpler travel like cruising.

I just hope I'm as physically capable as my parents and the majority of my aunts and uncles are/were in the 70's and beyond. I'd like to for us to continue to travel as much as we can but I realize we'll have to eventually transition to more easier and simpler travel like cruising.
Cruising per se is relaxing and low stress. However, the shore excursions at each port range from easy to strenuous.

I am retired <2 mos., wife >5 yrs. We are seriously thinking of moving south of the US border for about half of the year and living in the US for the other half. We are midwesterners and like the winters less and less every year.
I am 62, she is 55. Currently we do one "out of country" mission trip a year and plan continue to do so until circumstances dictate otherwise.
Ultimately we will find a retirement community where we can live in warm weather (we love the sun) and have a small garden.

My Dad passed recently just shy of 91 years old. I think he was quite lucky that he was pretty much independent up until almost the very end. Since I was retired, I always intended to move in with him when he couldn't function on his own...and I did...but I was only "needed" for a for a couple of weeks before he died. He and Mom died in the home (that was designed with that in mind...no stairs, wide doorways, etc) and was *very* fortunate that neither of them had a hospitalization, falls, or other issues that so many have to deal with when the end is near. The last time Dad drove his car was a little over a month before he died...so yes, he aged very well.

Nonetheless, he outlived all of his friends...except one, and that one moved away about a year ago. I did my best to try and entertain him and keep him socially engaged, but the fact remains that outliving ALL of your friends has to be a terrible thing...especially when you are as social as my Dad was. So, I guess all I saying is that while it's admirable to live such a long, decent life...I agree with the sentiment, "getting old isn't for sissys!"

And stuff? Oh mercy, me. Mom and Dad lived in the same house since 1973 and I don't think they got rid of ANYTHING. I have started to sort through some of the house, and it's quite the chore. I can tell you how much they paid for utilities from the day they moved in until today. And tax returns? If the IRS needs a copy of the return from 1943, I have it. So...for those of you who might be leaving your house (and stuff) to someone when you die...please, Please, PLEASE do some downsizing!!!! They will be eternally grateful.

I know, so what's with the big bro act? Giving dumb advice that a 16-year-old wouldn't need, for example.

Mostly something.

Ha

Cruising per se is relaxing and low stress. However, the shore excursions at each port range from easy to strenuous.

Yup, understand that. We're pretty DIY now with a lot of walking and public transit for the excursions of the cruises we go now. But can see us eventually taking more advantage of (less strenuous) tours, both private and ship organized.

At 80, I will simply hope and pray that the 10 years my younger coeds still do a double take, wether it's for my good looks, my incredibly humor or because they are wondering how I keep defying the odds.

As my grandma approaches 90s, all she wants is for people to visit her. My dad is bugging me to visit her with the great grand kids. Problem is I am soo busy with my own family and obligations, its tough to get over there.

I've noticed as more of her friends pass, the more she has been around for family events, but I do suspect this will die down.

On that note, I am gonna call grandma and schedule a visit tomorrow. She says "you know us old folks, we only plan for the day we wake".

I visited the villages with In Laws. Lady across the street left her home twice that we saw, and it was to put the trash out and bring the can back in. Shades shut, closed out to society. This is not me.

OK, too late to edit, so I'll add: This is one of my smaller pet peeves. Patronizing, I believe it's called. And it happens a lot, to me, with that age group.

I call it "big brother" behavior because my brother does it, and he's 75. His guy friends do it, too - talk to me like I'm a little girl. I run into it at the gym with the older men, too. Unsolicited, dopey advice about the machinery. Some 70-year-old guy commented the other day, after working in with me, "Wow, that's a lot of weight for you." It was the same weight he was using!

I know, so what's with the big bro act? Giving dumb advice that a 16-year-old wouldn't need, for example.

OK, too late to edit, so I'll add: This is one of my smaller pet peeves. Patronizing, I believe it's called. And it happens a lot, to me, with that age group.

I call it "big brother" behavior because my brother does it, and he's 75. His guy friends do it, too - talk to me like I'm a little girl. I run into it at the gym with the older men, too. Unsolicited, dopey advice about the machinery. Some 70-year-old guy commented the other day, after working in with me, "Wow, that's a lot of weight for you." It was the same weight he was using!

"We take our own chances, and pay our own dues
The silver tongued devil and I"
:LOL:

Well, but he is a male, and it seems to me that often males are able to lift more than females. Perhaps that is an attempt to be sweet and kindly. The way I see it, they are noting that you are female and saying that they are impressed that a female could lift that much.

Back when I was lifting weights I liked it when they said that, because I really didn't have a clue as to how much was or wasn't a lot of weight for a 60+ year old woman to be lifting on the weight machines.

But then, I am 70 so maybe I am thinking like that 70 year old guy due to my age.

Not sure what that means, or has to do with men in their 70's versus women in their 60's. We are all old enough to have plenty of life experience, most of it several times over.

"We take our own chances, and pay our own dues
The silver tongued devil and I"
:LOL:

What if I'd said the same thing to him? We were using the same weight, and he was an older man with a pot belly. Maybe I should have warned him about straining his heart! :D:facepalm: It simply does not occur to me to talk down to people like that.

Well, but he is a male, and it seems to me that often males are able to lift more than females. Perhaps that is an attempt to be sweet and kindly. The way I see it, they are noting that you are female and saying that they are impressed that a female could lift that much.

Not sure what that means, or has to do with men in their 70's versus women in their 60's. We are all old enough to have plenty of life experience, most of it several times over.

You must have encountered males, at any age, who are the antithesis of The Silver Tongued Devil, with hapless pick up/chat lines that they erroneously consider suave?

Back
Top Bottom