My New Ad Blocker Sheriff in Town

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Crept up on me the past couple days realizing that the cherished uBlock Origin ad blocker stopped working with Firefox. When I looked further at the extension, UBlock Origin is marked as Legacy by Firefox and not active. Looks like the folk at Mozilla are making "improvements" :facepalm: for the future so newer releases of Firefox won't break the extensions if extensions are "Compatible with Firefox 57+".

To make a long story short, I went looking to see what other decent blocker is out there that's compatible. I'm still partial to uBlock Origin. But for now, just installed Adblocker Ultimate which seems to work okay and is similar to uBlock Origin.

There's a new sheriff in town, at least until uBlock Origin becomes compatible (fingers crossed).

You might try "about:config" and flipping "extensions.legacy.enabled". I didn't dig into it, but apparently you can update uBlock and then flip it back (or something along those lines).

As a bit of a rant, Firefox craters add-ons all the time. It's really a PITA for most of us, but it's good to move the Firefox platform without getting dragged-down by backwards compatibility. For me, I don't let Firefox upgrade itself. So for me uBlock Origin is still happy. I usually wait some time, then upgrade Firefox manually and see how many add-ins cratered. If I wait a month, usually my add-ins all have caught-up.

That being said, uBlock Origin will continue to work on Firefox. It's being actively developed. But it's an open source, community project, so might not be a perfectly smooth ride.

You might try "about:config" and flipping "extensions.legacy.enabled". I didn't dig into it, but apparently you can update uBlock and then flip it back (or something along those lines).

As a bit of a rant, Firefox craters add-ons all the time. It's really a PITA for most of us, but it's good to move the Firefox platform without getting dragged-down by backwards compatibility. For me, I don't let Firefox upgrade itself. So for me uBlock Origin is still happy. I usually wait some time, then upgrade Firefox manually and see how many add-ins cratered. If I wait a month, usually my add-ins all have caught-up.

That being said, uBlock Origin will continue to work on Firefox. It's being actively developed. But it's an open source, community project, so might not be a perfectly smooth ride.

Thanks for the suggestion. Since the Adblocker Ultimate extension seems to be working fine, I'm happy with just using this for now. But will probably switch back to uBlock Origin when they make a compatible update.

I agree too that a good choice by Firefox, despite the growing pains.

It seems to be working for me with FF version 55.0.3 64 bit.

Or am I being fooled?

I like FF due to its cross platform abilities. Otherwise, I would probably stick with Safari. Chrome? It has its uses.

It seems to be working for me with FF version 55.0.3 64 bit.

Or am I being fooled?

I like FF due to its cross platform abilities. Otherwise, I would probably stick with Safari. Chrome? It has its uses.

I'm on 55.03 32 bit.

If you go look at the extensions area, do you see a label marking uBlock Origin as legacy? I've attached a screen shot of my ad-ons installed.

I noticed there were more ads sneaking in my browsing, that's when I checked and saw the "legacy" label (uBlock Origin shows as disabled. I set to disabled as I just installed other blocker installed).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
A newer version of uBlock Origin is available. No more legacy. The old sheriff is back :dance:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom