Old 05-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You guys are doing it wrong. Try this:

1. Get sleepy
2. Take caffeine pill(s)
3. Take nap
4. Wake up refreshed twenty to thirty minutes later.

Seriously, I find that I'm much more refreshed after one of these power naps.

You are a madman lol. What kind of caffeine pills? In grad school we all used to take Midol believe it or not, because it was full of caffeine.

irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I currently have these:

But I'm going to get some 100 mg and some 200 mg pills with just caffeine. An 8 oz cup of Starbucks has 160 mg.

My system:

6 am: 4 oz coffee
9 am: 100 mg caffeine in pill
1:30 pm: 100 mg caffeine in pill
1:31 pm: Nap

It has made me more productive in terms of writing, and I avoid that draggy feeling after waking up from a nap.

The brilliance of the coffee nap is that sleep naturally clears Adenosine from your brain!

From the moment you drink your coffee to the moment you metabolize it is about 20 minutes of pure opportunity to not only rest, but to open up those Adenosine receptors to the caffeine you just imbibed.[2]

It’s like rolling out a welcome mat just for your coffee. What could be better?

Old 05-16-2019, 05:53 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I currently have these:

But I'm going to get some 100 mg and some 200 mg pills with just caffeine. An 8 oz cup of Starbucks has 160 mg.

My system:

6 am: 4 oz coffee
9 am: 100 mg caffeine in pill
1:30 pm: 100 mg caffeine in pill
1:31 pm: Nap

It has made me more productive in terms of writing, and I avoid that draggy feeling after waking up from a nap.

The brilliance of the coffee nap is that sleep naturally clears Adenosine from your brain!

From the moment you drink your coffee to the moment you metabolize it is about 20 minutes of pure opportunity to not only rest, but to open up those Adenosine receptors to the caffeine you just imbibed.[2]

It’s like rolling out a welcome mat just for your coffee. What could be better?

This is genius. Recalling my neuroscience coursework it makes sense and is spot on.
Now I’m going to have to try this...
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:06 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

There’s a long advocated plan that says to drink a cup of coffee and then settle in for a nap, as the caffeine will kick in to prevent the nap running too long and messing up your nighttime sleep pattern. Usually at about 15-20 minutes.

And don’t get a Fitbit if you have terrible sleep. I have used one for a couple of years and it is disheartening to know I average 5 hours a night of restful sleep.

I nap several times a week out of desperation, just trying to wring out a bit more rest.

Also have resorted to sleeping on the couch in my office at lunchtime sometimes when work is slow—no alarm needed, as the phone ringing (or more embarrassingly, the UPS man) wakes me up!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:26 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Put me in with the serial nappers! I play nap roulette most days. Lately it's been closer to 2 hour naps, but I'm also on medications that make me drowsy. The extra sleep is appreciated.
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I enjoy my naps also. But never set an alarm. Alarms aren't conducive to successful retirement.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

For those that don't want too much caffeine, my technique involved tea. No need to make it too strong, but if you drink enough and because it's a diuretic, you'd get another wake up signal
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:51 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

Frequent napper checking in. I snooze for an hour after work. Alarm, definately! Prevents "napcidents" (sleeping too long).
DisneyDreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:16 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
It's one of my secret luxuries, taking a short nap a few times a week. I wonder if others do this as well, and most important, do you set an alarm, naturally wake after a short time, or play the dreaded "nap roulette" where you take a nap with the possibility of waking in 20 min or 3 hours?
Definitely nap roulette!

But I use an alarm for overnight sleep.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

A full sleep cycle is said to be 90 minutes so you might want to shoot for naps of that duration to avoid an interrupted sleep cycle.
misanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
But I use an alarm for overnight sleep.
You mean you wake up in the morning to an alarm clock? Oh, the horror!
Old 05-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You mean you wake up in the morning to an alarm clock? Oh, the horror!
I do too! Oh, the horror!

But my alarm clock just plays gentle, nature sounds so it isn't too jarring. If I didn't set an alarm, I would be on a 25-26 hour day, awakening an hour or two later each day and then consequently going to bed an hour or two later that night. That just doesn't synch with the rest of the world.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I rarely nap, but when I do it's for 1-2 hours... and I'm not sure if my alarm clock even works anymore
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Old 05-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

As I approach my 65th birthday, I am taking more naps. Usually after golf and lunch. Sometimes only 15 minutes, other days as long as an hour. Never set an alarm as I'm on no schedule.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Often it seems that I don't sleep. That is, I close my eyes to nap, but after what seems like a few minutes of dreamy thought, I give up.

Yesterday, I lay back and listened to this short story:

I didn't think I'd slept, but realized the story had stopped, and I'd missed most of the second half.

Conclusion: I did sleep.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
It's one of my secret luxuries, taking a short nap a few times a week. I wonder if others do this as well
After having contracted chronic Lyme several years ago and just about the time of my ER...I can't manage most days without a nap. Typically, it's just about 30-60 min but depends on how little sleep the previous night holds.

Melatonin does sweet nothing and CBD helps a tad. Still looking for for that sleep nirvana.
partition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have avoided naps in the past because they keep me up at night, but I heard somewhere recently that, as you age, that doesn't happen so much, so I'm giving them a try. I can't quite tell whether they're helping or hurting yet. My sleep schedule is kind of all over the place lately (it was that way before the naps).
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Love the naps!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #59
Confused about dryer sheets

Love the naps!

Once or twice a week, usually set a 20-30 minute alarm to avoid sleep issues later that night.
Shardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

I love sleep and am a natural 9-10 hour sleeper. Retirement has been great for finding my natural sleep rhythm. If I fall asleep (after reading) relatively early, around 10 pm, 7-8 am is a natural time for me to wake up.

If I get the full amount of sleep above, I don't need naps unless I've completely exhausted myself in exercise/errands or if I'm getting sick (rare).

But when I do go down it is nap roulette all the way... and it's usually going to be at least a 2 hr show. Definitely groggy after. Doesn't usually mess up my night sleep, since I only do it when my body needs to catch up.

Funny that this thread came up, since over the last 2 months I've been setting an alarm for morning yoga and it must be messing up my sleep allocation. I've been power-napping much more often these days!