Do you leave online reviews (good or bad)?

sparky08

Recycles dryer sheets
Last fall, we decided to treat ourselves to a high end kitchen appliance (gas range). Immediately, we started having problems and the dealer has been terrible to work with. I also reached out to the manufacturer and their support is even worse.

It took six weeks to resolve (no fun to be w/o a stove during the holidays). I made over a dozen calls and emails (most went unanswered). During my angriest time, they promised to compensate us for our troubles, and now have decided not to.

I've never left an online review, and I wonder if it's worth it? It's hard to boil 6 weeks of incompetence down to a short paragraph. And I think I need to use my real name on a Google review or it will be taken down. We live in a small town and the dealer is in this town.

Do you leave online reviews for good/bad experiences? Should I be doing something else?

I do if I have a particularly good or particularly bad experience.

I think I'm a frustrated travel writer. I have about 500 reviews on TripAdvisor, written over about 15 years. Mostly good or average and a few abysmal. I use them a lot in planning so I'm happy to contribute.

I rarely post product reviews but then I don't buy that much. I'll sometimes post on social media (company FB page, FlyerTalk for travel experiences) if I have a particularly good or bad experience.

Yes I post reviews if the service or product is really good or really bad.

Last fall, we decided to treat ourselves to a high end kitchen appliance (gas range). Immediately, we started having problems and the dealer has been terrible to work with. I also reached out to the manufacturer and their support is even worse.

It took six weeks to resolve (no fun to be w/o a stove during the holidays). I made over a dozen calls and emails (most went unanswered). During my angriest time, they promised to compensate us for our troubles, and now have decided not to.

I've never left an online review, and I wonder if it's worth it?

Difficult to know if it's worth it, however, your experience might save someone else the same bunch of headaches you went through. It depends on where the review gets published and if it will be allowed to remain online.

It's hard to boil 6 weeks of incompetence down to a short paragraph. And I think I need to use my real name on a Google review or it will be taken down. We live in a small town and the dealer is in this town.

Your two opening sentences in this post are perfect. Brief and descriptive. I think you would do just fine.

Was the problem with the gas range itself? Or was the problem with the installation? That would make a big difference in the content of your review. If it's going to be a Google review it sounds like it's a review for the dealer. For example, it wouldn't be fair to write a bad review about the range on the manufacturer's site if the problem lies with the dealer installation.

Should I be doing something else?

Sounds like you've exhausted every normal avenue to get the problem resolved. If it's a Google review and it's about the dealer you might write the review and then show it to the dealer. Tell the dealer you're going to publish the review unless they make good on their promise to compensate you.

Do you leave online reviews for good/bad experiences?

I write reviews for exceptionally good products. I sometimes write reviews on Amazon for products that exceeded my expectations or to add information that might be helpful to other customers. For example, I buy clothes on Amazon and it's incredible the number of people who write reviews and don't include basic stuff like their height and weight, their usual clothes sizes in other brands, what size they purchased, etc.

A couple of years ago I bought an office chair on Wayfair for $149 which was under the Serta brand name (yes, same as the mattress company.) It was rated 4 1/2 stars out of 5. I thought it might be better than the generic Chinese office chairs you see on Amazon under a dozen different names for $79 to $99. Turns out it was the same cheaply constructed stuff on Amazon, just had better padding and slightly better fabric quality. I wrote a review stating these facts, gave it a 3 out of 5 stars. The review was taken down within a day or two. I republished the review. Again, taken down in a couple of days.

I don't think your Google review can be removed unless the offended party raises a stink with Google, and I imagine that would be a fool's errand.

We write some amazon reviews, if the product hasn't had many, or if we feel that we can contribute to the general views already expressed (i.e., if really good or really bad!)

DW has over 1200 TripAdvisor reviews, and also has a growing number of Google and AirBnB/Booking reviews. She uses those sites a LOT, and sees contributing back to the community as being important. (Example, in our upcoming trip, we have 22 AirBnBs, a hostel, and a wilderness lodge booked; that doesn't happen comfortably without others' reviews....)

OP, in your situation, I'd definitely review. Your experience could be quite helpful to someone.

Sadly I now read all reviews about everything with a huge grain of salt. They are manipulated so much you can't believe a word of them.

Now having said that we ordered a flat top grill for our park trailer at the lake. Went to the "big" name brand. Planned to order it online for price and such. In the last 20 reviews people were complaining about damaged and torn shipping boxes...bent pieces and the like. We pivoted, bought another name brand at HD, it was on sale and already assembled..but hats off to original brand who did not delete the bad reviews.

DW has over 1200 TripAdvisor reviews, and also has a growing number of Google and AirBnB/Booking reviews. She uses those sites a LOT, and sees contributing back to the community as being important. (Example, in our upcoming trip, we have 22 AirBnBs, a hostel, and a wilderness lodge booked; that doesn't happen comfortably without others' reviews....)

Oh, yeah- I forgot Airbnb reviews. I do post those. I had one in Edinburgh that was correct as described but was very stripped-down. No wastebaskets, carry your own trash out, few available electrical outlets, no microwave or coffeemaker other than a french press, no paid TV programming (I signed onto my own Netflix account). The review was pleasant and balanced but I wanted prospective renters to assume nothing that wasn't in the description.

I have written a couple of reviews, mostly for VRBO rentals, the less than stellar reviews have been published, but with some parts left out.
I do read +/- reviews before I purchase anything online, but also have some skepticism as I read, especially if everything is all wonderful or all negative.

Occasionally yes or if solicited sometimes. If exceptional experience bad or good I’m usually motivated to post a review.

Like others, I do if I have a particularly good or particularly bad experience.

I rely on the reviews quite a bit for airbnb style accommodations and for restaurants. I've found them to be helpful.

I have in the past, but now I don’t. As someone mentioned, reviews these days are so manipulated as to be worthless. Last week I dropped by the car dealer service department where I saw a sign that said if you leave a five-star review you get your name in the hat for a free tire rotation.

But more on point, if you do decide to leave an honest, bad review be sure to be honest and unemotional. Sounds like the kind of place that might even sue people who leave bad reviews.

Last edited:
I think reviews are valuable to help shoppers, I would review the item/service, but be sure to be specific in the description.

In my personal life, I write reviews on stuff/experiences that are good / bad. But only if it was exceptional.

Last week I dropped by the car dealer service department where I saw a sign that said if you leave a five-star review you get your name in the hat for a free tire rotation.

Yeah- just plain wrong. I had the guys who delivered my oven tell me that anything less than 5-star would have a bad effect on their compensation. Unfortunately, it turned out they couldn't install it because the wiring on the old one was 220V and hard-wired (and the on-line ordering system said that would be the case) and I ended up having to pay someone else $$$ to get the old one out, install the new one and haul the old one away. Tis was a Costco order, the only time it wasn't seamless. The installers did exactly what they were supposed to do so I had no place to note my dissatisfaction.

Window installers told me the same thing- if the review is less than perfect they get dinged. Tell me that and I won't leave a review even if I'm happy.

Yes, I sometimes submit reviews and I sometimes I read them.

I usually ignore a lot of the 5 star review that seems like it was written by the reviewee (i.e. everything was amazing perfect). I also give a lot of weight to a 4 star review where the verbiage is all positive and it not clear why it wasn't a 5 star review.

I also usually ignore the 1 star review and I just assume that they are just p!$$ off and, more often than not, they were jerks and were unreasonable with their request. etc.
Yes, I have met people like this. :LOL:

I do fairly often, usually for good or bad experiences, but also if there are things I notice in use/practice that I couldn't have foreseen and change my opinion for better or worse. And I am careful about certain reviews where (ridiculously) a 4-star review could hurt an employee who provided great service, but this doesn't sound like one of those situations (I've seen that mostly in car and some retail sales, and in franchised services, but I have never encountered that in appliance sales).

My tips: write up the review as objectively as possible. Not "they were horrible, I was waiting forever", but "I was first promised delivery on 12/15, and they never showed and never called; when I called them on 12/16, they rescheduled for 12/18". Some opinions are probably appropriate, but enough facts that it's obvious you're not just complaining about normal issues or even normal service. I often spend a while writing a comprehensive review, especially when I've had epic problems like yours, and then post them on Google, Yelp, Nextdoor, Facebook, and maybe some others, but those are all platforms that I've used for reviews, both posting and reading them.

As for it being a small town, being objective about the problems you've had should make you sound reasonable rather than vindictive, and reasonable people shouldn't have a problem with it. And while I have had a few unreasonable business owners give me grief for leaving very factual negative reviews, I'm OK with it. I'd rather it was me than some other poor customer who doesn't feel comfortable having an unreasonable person "yell" at them online.

Last edited:
My tips: write up the review as objectively as possible. Not "they were horrible, I was waiting forever", but "I was first promised delivery on 12/15, and they never showed and never called; when I called them on 12/16, they rescheduled for 12/18".

I agree; two of my favorite examples, both from years ago, were a picture I posted of the dust-encrusted ceiling vent in a hotel bathroom and another hotel where I was on Hold with Room Service for half an hour. I look for the same level of detail in the ones I read. We all have different priorities; if I think the gym is badly ventilated or too small, someone who doesn't plan to use it may not care.

The rise of AI has me concerned; in one podcast I listened to they found they could pretty easily get AI to generate a review with a lot of details.

Was the problem with the gas range itself? Or was the problem with the installation? That would make a big difference in the content of your review. If it's going to be a Google review it sounds like it's a review for the dealer. For example, it wouldn't be fair to write a bad review about the range on the manufacturer's site if the problem lies with the dealer installation.

The range ended up needing to be replaced. It had several things wrong with it....definitely a poor quality unit.

I called/emailed the dealer for two weeks before I got a response. And then I waited another 10 days for them to send a service tech out. And then another week to get a replacement.

In parallel, I also reached out to the manufacturer and they told me to call the dealer. When I told them the dealer wasn't responding, they said they would look into it. They never did, and when I contacted them, they said there was no record of my call. So, I repeated the problem and they said they would look into it.....never heard back.

I'm, planning to review the dealership. I would also like to review the manufacturer, but I'm not sure how to do that. Googling the brand doesn't bring up any reviews.

As others have mentioned, I will review for very good or very bad items.

I will also review if I have an item that I hoped would fit or work with something, to indicate if it did or did not, to help others. For example, I ordered from Amazon a generic repair part for a mower that looked like it should work with my model, but was not explicitly stated. It did work, so I wrote a review saying it worked and identified my specific mower model. I received several "likes" for that review, which probably meant those folks had my same mower model and was glad I confirmed that the part worked with it.

I have also written reviews where the product did not work, but the seller was very responsive and went above and beyond what I expect. For example, I ordered a motherboard from eBay that was DOA. I contacted the seller, they replied with 30 minutes, very apologetic, said do not bother sending it back, we will refund you. I received a refund within an hour. I left them a good review, along the the lines of "while the product did not work, they were so responsive that I would trust them and order from them again" (which I did, and had no issues with subsequent orders).

Last edited:
I have left online reviews occasionally, but I normally don't want to bother with it.

Sadly I now read all reviews about everything with a huge grain of salt. They are manipulated so much you can't believe a word of them.

yeah, you can't just read the reviews for the thing you are thinking of buying. We read other reviews by those who wrote those reviews if it is something important.

For example, we once ran across a restaurant with 5 great reviews, and the reviewers each had less than 3 reviews....

This problem is why we are relying more upon Michelin and similar professionalized review systems than we once did. Much easier to be able to rely on one source.

Normally, I do not. If I have an issue I like to handle it via email or phone. However, if I do not get a response, I do a review. Just did that with Booking.com. The review was even-handed but highlighted there was no hot water in the shower/sink. That got the owner's attention and they offered a partial refund (less than I requested) but enough. As part of the refund agreement, I had to change the review. I did but stated that they had offered a partial refund and that I was updating the review.

I, like some here, find online reviews misleading at times....I try to look at the 3 star and below ones to get an idea of the possible issues because if I am at the point of looking at reviews, I have for the most part decided to buy that type of item.

Back
Top Bottom