National Football League

Deetso

Recycles dryer sheets
I couldnt decide where this fit in and so I decided it didnt really fit in anywhere. So here it goes. I sort of feel silly for even bringing it up.

Im a football freak. Sometimes my wife calls herself a "Sunday Widow." And as sad as that sounds thats not the point of the post.

This year the nfl sold over 17 million tickets for attendance at games. I have never paid less than $100 for a ticket so there is a big chunk of change. That doesnt include all the extra stuff that football makes money on. Its a big business that I also happen to enjoy a great deal.

I have often thought I would like to own a team- but that will never happen- more of a dream. But does anyone have any ideas/knowledge of how to "invest in football" on a smaller scale?

I guess thats about it. Feel free to mock me if you so desire. ;)

I don't have an answer for you, just a question: why do you want to invest in football? While you are certainly a big fan of the sport, is there some reason you believe that this particular segment of the US entertainment industry will outperform other areas of the economy, and that you can identify which "play" will allow you to capitalize on this outperformance?

If you love pizza, would you look for a way to invest in a pizza parlor? A mozzarela factory?

I cant figure out how to do that nifty "quote" thing that others do but to answer samclem's question about the pizza, yes.

Its quite funny you should mention pizza. In earlier posts I mentioned that Im not all that interested in pushing my money for the highest return. In my view the time spent with family and doing things on this earth that I enjoy and that are helpful to others are more important to me than making sure I get the highest return. (I havent yet felt I have described this concept to myself or anyone to any degree that is satifactory to anyone involved.)

Back to the pizza. One of my great mentors did just that. He worked in a pizza shop and liked it so much he bought it. Mind you he didnt know yet that he was an incredible business man. He then bought a second shop. Then eventually he bought the supplier to the pizza shop and sells mozzarela by the truckload. He now owns a distribution company that supplies pizza shops up and down the east coast. He has often told me to be invovled in things I like and it will work out better than if Im doing something I dont like.

I feel sort of like I have hijacked my own post.

I realize I have little more than a interest in football beyond sitting on my duff in front of the tube on Sundays. But it is something I enjoy. I was thinking that perhaps if I could find a way to invest in it it might be fun. I dont have the knowledge or capital to do more than passive involvment and Im not looking for the best possible return I could get. My research into "this particular segment of thie US entertainment industry" is nothing beyond what I watch on sundays and read every other day of the week in the paper.

Deetso said:
I realize I have little more than a interest in football beyond sitting on my duff in front of the tube on Sundays. But it is something I enjoy. I was thinking that perhaps if I could find a way to invest in it it might be fun.
Eric Grubman, USNA '80, used to spend just about every waking moment of his life watching or discussing football. If there was a football game on a network that could be received by our TV then he would mercilessly pester the crowd until someone changed the channel to shut him up. I don't think he personally played on more than an intramural level but to me it seemed he was always a walking talking football encyclopedia.

I lost track of him for a while and he was doing other things, but last year I noticed that he's a VP in the NFL. So I guess the money followed from doing what he loved...

Back
Top Bottom