Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I really can't get too worked up about the NBA except when it's time for the finals. Actually, I watched the semi's this year. And I was cheering for the Heat in the beginning but really thought the Pacers were impressive. And then comes the Spurs and I am impressed with them. Tim Duncan is a beast. Don't see how anyone can lose with him on their team and along with Tony Parker, Green, etc. Then comes this guy Anderson for the Heat. I can't even look at him as a basketball player. That getup is ugly and wouldn't want him anywhere near my team. How can I root for the Heat? I can't and hope the Spurs kick butt.

Thinking like that will show one's age and I guess I'm showing it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think Heat will win. It is not what I want but last night was Spurs chance.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think Heat will win. It is not what I want but last night was Spurs chance.
Yeah, I can't believe the Spurs blew that lead. I like to keep the winners in Florida but I'm still hoping the Spurs win.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post

Yeah, I can't believe the Spurs blew that lead. I like to keep the winners in Florida but I'm still hoping the Spurs win.
As an ex official and coach, I am always amazed at the sheer brutality involved "in the paint" during NBA playoff games. The shoving, grabbing, jabbing, and body checking is unbelievable. Watch when they review a play in slow motion. My favorite though least violent was Miller getting a jump ball call on Duncan. Replay clearly shows he grabbed Duncan's jersey to turn him around to then tie up the ball. But its expected as Duncan didn't even react to it. Another guy gets arm barred in the throat knocking him down and the ex-coach announcer says on replay "Good no call, you need to have your big boy pants on to play defense in the lane".
Old 06-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
As an ex official and coach, I am always amazed at the sheer brutality involved "in the paint" during NBA playoff games. The shoving, grabbing, jabbing, and body checking is unbelievable. Watch when they review a play in slow motion. My favorite though least violent was Miller getting a jump ball call on Duncan. Replay clearly shows he grabbed Duncan's jersey to turn him around to then tie up the ball. But its expected as Duncan didn't even react to it. Another guy gets arm barred in the throat knocking him down and the ex-coach announcer says on replay "Good no call, you need to have your big boy pants on to play defense in the lane".

This will show my age....

Back when Houston won the championships.... Hakeem Olajuwon was the best big man... He would get fouled on at least half his shots.... some were big whacks on his arms... but he made the shot anyhow, so no call... I would see guards get a little tap on a hand after the ball was gone and get a foul called...

It has gotten worse, which is why I just don't watch anymore...
Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Another thing that gets me about the NBA is the extra step a player is allowed when driving to the basket. I only watched maybe the last 5 minutes plus OT, but I saw at least 2 obvious traveling violations that was not called. One on each team. But I guess it is just accepted like the phantom 2nd base tag in baseball.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Another thing that gets me about the NBA is the extra step a player is allowed when driving to the basket. I only watched maybe the last 5 minutes plus OT, but I saw at least 2 obvious traveling violations that was not called. One on each team. But I guess it is just accepted like the phantom 2nd base tag in baseball.
Especially in the lane area. Ginobli took 4 steps late in the game then gets whacked across the arm and is complaining. Of course, neither of the offenses drew a whistle.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #28

I like the way the refs are letting them play the "big boy" game. It's been that way for awhile I guess, but since I don't watch the NBA that much I still amazed at how rough it is, especially in the paint. And, the shooting percentage is really up there. How about Green and those three pointers?
It's like they never miss.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I yearn for the Bird/Magic days - I loved the NBA back then. Too many hoodlums and thugs in the game today - I don't even bother to watch.

Go Bruins!
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Too many hoodlums and thugs in the game today...
You are a prime candidate to be a Spurs fan You can root for the good guys.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I yearn for the Bird/Magic days - I loved the NBA back then. Too many hoodlums and thugs in the game today - I don't even bother to watch.

Go Bruins!
I forgot which 80s Laker/Celtics final series it was but there was one, where the Celtics played thug ball at the Forum. I was watching highlights of it the other day. Bird and company shoving and pushing the Lakers up into the stands. Almost a brawl. It worked...they won that game. That was a very physical game.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I was referring more to players' off-court behavior than physical play on the court. I'm fine with a physical game as long as it is called evenly for both sides.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Pretty entertaining hockey game on NBC right now.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Pretty entertaining hockey game on NBC right now.
A very good one.. I had a nice bet put down on Hawks winning series at minus 135. I had a bad feeling after their lucky game one win and bought back on Boston at plus 230 and walked away with a locked in $200 profit. The puck bounces crazy in hockey, so who knows.