Need a new computer chair..

Kats, nice looking chair! We need one and for that price, I may go over tomorrow and give it a try.

I am sitting very comfortably in it right now. One funny thing. In the store, one of the things that I liked was that it could tilt back we well as swivel. DH assembled it for me and I saw down and adjusted the seat height...and it didn't tilt back. DH was insistent that there was just the one seat height lever and said the chair didn't tilt. I was insistent that the one in the store tilted.

We looked at the manual and, yes, it does tilt. There is a knob well under the chair that can lock the tilting mechanism and apparently it was shipped in locked position. Happily, once we twisted the knob it would tilt back as I wanted....

Based on a thread here long ago and feedback from satisfied users, I bought an Aeron chair about 8 years ago. I despise it!

omni

I also find the Aeron chairs to be terribly uncomfortable. My company had several chairs and many people loved this chair, but it just didn't work for me. I ended up with the Steelecase Leap chair I love it. I see OP has purchased something, but if you are looking for a higher end ergo chair, I received mine from Seatingmind.com which has a number of options at a pretty good discount. Including the Aeron if you are so inclined.

So I bought a new computer chair today. I bought the Realspace Treswell which was on sale for $120. I think it is a new model as all the reviews (6 of them) are within the last 2 to 3 weeks.

It was amazingly comfortable. We went to both Staples and Office Depot. I am under no illusion that this chair will last for many years. But, I tend to wear out the material on the chair before the chair itself goes bad. Part of it is that I have cats. On my last nicer chair they didn't scratch the leather but their claws would pierce the material when they jumped on it (some sort of fake leather thing I guess). The chair was comfortable but awful looking.

I prefer to buy a more disposable chair that when it starts looking bad I don't mind replacing it.

DH thought about getting a new chair but didn't. He liked the La-Z-Boy chairs at Staples and loved the Serta iComfort i5000 at Office Depot. I liked it also but it was more than I wanted to spend.

This is funny we do have an OfficeMax in our town and I was looking at this exact chair this morning thinking I would to go my store and try sitting in it.....:)

I also find the Aeron chairs to be terribly uncomfortable. My company had several chairs and many people loved this chair, but it just didn't work for me. I ended up with the Steelecase Leap chair I love it. I see OP has purchased something, but if you are looking for a higher end ergo chair, I received mine from Seatingmind.com which has a number of options at a pretty good discount. Including the Aeron if you are so inclined.

I wonder if the Aeron design and sizing research used mostly men and thus the chair accommodates them better than women. The hip structure is so different.

Alternatively, you can look into a standing desk. Sitting for hours is not thought to be good for you. It can be adjustable to sit or stand.

The ultimate is to have a treadmill to walk slowly.

Standing is better but getting activity is the best.

Bought a cheaper chair at a Costco store a few years ago.

Replaced it with a much better, high end chair from the Costco on line site four years ago. So far, still very pleased. Higher end product priced well below similar products that I saw at the time in Staples, etc. I often find Staples expensive-on line and in the store for the more expensive items. Their unlocked cell phone prices were outrageous compared to other sites/vendors.

Well our recommendations are pretty useless not knowing what you will be able to test drive.

This is an item where you definitely get what you pay for. When I bought my first $1,000 Steelcase, it was the most expensive piece of furniture I had bought in my young life, but I was working from home and in it for 9 hours a day. To me, that was great value. If you're only in front of your computer for 30 minutes a day, it would probably be overkill.

You might try and look for a company near you that sells used office furniture to businesses (this is big business) as they will have very high end chairs for less than half of retail. They might need a good cleaning. This is where I picked up a 2nd Steelcase chair for my wife for $600 less than retail/new.
Well if you look at reviews you will find that satisfaction is not in proportion to $ paid. So I do not think you get what you pay for.

Go look at reviews for the highly touted x chair. They are mediocre. The chair costs $800-1000.

We have bought lots of chairs for my company, and Aeron is polarizing. Some like some hate, and they are expensive (though some see value). We do not buy them.

I have had a Haworth Zody chair for about 15 years. Extremely comfortable and well built. Price was about $900 15 years ago. Still about the same today depending on what model you get. It's very adjustable and I think it's still made in the USA. Definitely the most comfortable adjustable desk chair I have owned.

We used the Zody in one of our offices. It's well liked.

Alternatively, you can look into a standing desk. Sitting for hours is not thought to be good for you. It can be adjustable to sit or stand.

The ultimate is to have a treadmill to walk slowly.

Standing is better but getting activity is the best.

Standing all day is no better for you than sitting all day. The best is to vary sitting and standing, and yes, taking a few minutes every 30 or so to actually move, which is what is really needed to stay healthy. When we purchased sit stand desks, I started getting requests for anti fatigue mats. I told people to sit down if they started getting pain from standing.

Try a used office furniture place. There's probably at least one in the Twin Cities. I got a used chair (Steelcase?) identical to the one I have at megacorp. Very adjustable: seat height/depth/tilt angle/lumbar support. They retail for about $300, I paid around $30. That was at least 10 years ago, and it's held up fine. At the same store I also found a used version of the 'banana board' keyboard tray I use at work, for $25 (retails for $250!). Now my home office set-up is just as good, if not better, than at megacorp.

Back
Top Bottom