Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the past it's been easy to restart Netflix once you cancel. They basically seem to treat everything as a "suspend", and if you start back up your queue is still there. I plan to cancel completely, partly as a protest, and partly because in the fall football season and new TV season, I tend to rent less. I was just starting to get into streaming more regularly, but my library has free DVD loans too, and I'm going to see how well that works for me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
What's worse, Netflix increasing cost, whether they explained it well or not, or vendors like DirecTV who promise new subscribers all kinds of freebies while existing customers see rate increases?
I was just going to mention this when a previous poster mentioned customer loyalty.

I have noticed that Crapcast is offering $99 triple play and a $50 gift-card for new subscribers.
What about your loyal subscribers? I have been using triple play for almost 2 years and pay well over that
Sometimes I call and threaten to cancel and go with (qwest, DirectTv) whomever, but I have actually been called out on that before....
And I don't really want to switch....

Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That is the direction I am going. Netflix streaming and Internet tv, then drop the cable tv. Can't remember the last time I used a physical DVD, although the library does sound like a good way to do that.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #64

Netflix CEO Hastings in his blog yesterday here
Quote:
It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming, and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. I’ll try to explain how this happened.
./.
In hindsight, I slid into arrogance based upon past success.
./.
So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are becoming two quite different businesses, with very different cost structures, different benefits that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently. It’s hard for me to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary and best: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”.

We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.
./.
There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). Members who subscribe to both services will have two entries on their credit card statements, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as the current charges.
To summarize

1) Sorry, I made a mistake. Please forgive me, it's my first.
2) We're gonna split in two businesses. One streaming, one dvd rental.
3) Dealing with two of us will be much better and easier for you the customer.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #65

The speculation is that they are getting ready to sell off the DVD business.

He said that the DVD and streaming businesses have "very different cost structures." If that's true, why are the basic plans for each both charging $8?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I cancelled both yesterday. Seeing only an apology and no change in rates, I'm not coming back.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our library lets us rent six videos per visit (3 for me and 3 for Lena), we can have each out for up to two weeks. It's FREE.

The selection is good, and I can request them online to be picked up at the library. I have a record of all the videos we've borrowed.

In the last few weeks:
  • The King's Speech
  • Inception
  • Zero Kelvin
  • Duplicity
That's pretty hard to beat.
The LA County system interconnects all over the county - reserve some online, they show up at your library for free a few days later. You can have up to 50 out (or in your queue) at a time.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
To summarize

To re-summarize

1) There. I said I'm sorry. Will you rejoin Netflix now? No, I'm not giving customers anything.
2) We're going to split into two business -- one streaming, one DVD rental. They're totally separate, so you'll have to subscribe to each and carry separate accounts if you want both. Sure, it's a hassle for those customers. I said I was sorry already. Get over it.
3) Dealing with two of us will be much better and easier for you, the customer. OK, that's not true, but I can't help but try to spin it this way, just like I did the rate increase. Maybe a few customers will be fooled.

-------------------

Putting aside Netflix's continued disdain for its customers, there remains one crucial issue: Most newer releases are not currently available through Netflix streaming -- the DVDs were filling that gap -- and I assume the situation will only get worse once STARZ drops Netflix. Will customers really be willing to wait many months before being able to stream a movie? Maybe Netflix will find a way to resolve this issue, but I'd argue it should have been resolved before it separated both businesses.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To summarize

Saw this in my email today. Struck me as very strange. Why should I care that he 'made a mistake' if he isn't going to do anything for me (change the rates/conditions)?

Maybe they fear the postal changes (rates, limited delivery days), but separating the two businesses is their business, not mine.

Very strange. Hmmm, NFLX is UP while the market is down. Not sure how this can be seen as positive, maybe an adjustment to over-reaction from the recent drop?

-ERD50
Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I see Netflix as a company in crisis. They don't seem to have a handle on what they are doing or why, and definitely not on how to deal with their customers. If I owned their stock, I'd be selling, and possibly shorting. Netflix: Restricting Streams To One Per Account Was A Glitch - The Consumerist
Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why should I care that he 'made a mistake' if he isn't going to do anything for me (change the rates/conditions)?

-ERD50
My thought exactly.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #72

Creating two companies, assigning the customer info to just one, retaining the history of customer ratings in only one sounds like a business that's preparing to split or spinoff.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

My sister who doesn't really follow business news at all call me to say that was the strangest email she's gotten from business. She claims she didn't get any notice from Netflix about the price increase she knew about due to my sister and I talking about.

Here reaction was cancel Netflix all together.

I have to agree what weird decision on there part why would you want to follow with your customer after hitting them with a 60% increase and then make them manage their queues separately? I don' t get it.

A few months ago I shorted Neflix about 270 saying I think it will be $150 it then promptly when up to almost $300. So I bought some back when it went down to $250s at modest profit, unfortunately I got too nervous bought the rest back at $239 at 8/31, my if I only had waited a few weeks it would have got to my $150 price point, argh.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our library lets us rent six videos per visit (3 for me and 3 for Lena), we can have each out for up to two weeks. It's FREE.

The selection is good, and I can request them online to be picked up at the library. I have a record of all the videos we've borrowed.

In the last few weeks:
  • The King's Speech
  • Inception
  • Zero Kelvin
  • The Sunshine State
  • Hell is for Heroes
  • The Curse of the Cat People
  • My Best Friend
  • Macao
  • Mulholland Drive
  • Sabrina
  • Island at War
  • Midsomar Murders
  • Feast of July
  • Another Year
  • The Sum of Us
  • The Son
  • Duplicity
That's pretty hard to beat.
Good library!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #75

Netflix says we're sorry the 60% surprise price hike, followed by losing the Starz online content didn't chase more customers away, so now we will split into two companies, make a ridiculous name change and stop making it possible for any customers still with us to coordinate their streaming and DVD queues. That ought to get rid of plenty more customers.

Have they done any market research on this? Are they short their own stock?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Are they short their own stock?
I think someone has figured it out!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To summarize

I don't buy it! I believe this is just the 2nd step in the execution of the plan. Too big of a move too quickly!

Step 1 - Get the billing separated and understand what it will look like (look before they leap).. then if it looks ok to do it now, announce the split.

They are trimming their business portfolio and getting rid of the less profitable (maybe today... definitely in the future) side of the business.

It seems that many TVs are built to support streaming.... not much different than cable ready TVs began being built years ago. With that platform and generation of younger people that want it... The writing is on the wall!

I think that DVDs for movies will go the way of 8-track tapes eventually. It may take another 10 years... but there is no doubt where it is headed... and it will be a drag on future performance and does not fit with the companies strategic vision... an internet streaming version of cable and satellite TV.

Apparently, from what I have read... the mail order business has the obvious overhead and will reduce the money available for the streaming side of the business (and it will only get worse).

I would expect the Qwickster to Quickly announce (pun intended) a price increase... back to the old levels! Well maybe not too quick... but within a year or so.

I would not be surprised if Netflix segments the streaming products also... and/or asks for a price increase (through some means).
Old 09-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #78

Well, I became a Netflix customer in 1998 when they were still renting single dvds. When they introduced streaming I thought that added a lot to their offering. Now that they separate the two I see no reason to continue with a dvd rental. We watch few, have no need to see a dvd the moment it is released, and can easily follow T-Al's example and borrow the dvds in the local public library. So we just cancelled our mail rental subscription.

I felt there was lots of synergy between the mail dvd and streaming offerings and think it is a loss to separate them.
Quote:
Saw this in my email today. Struck me as very strange. Why should I care that he 'made a mistake' if he isn't going to do anything for me (change the rates/conditions)?
Even worse, he seems to be saying the mistake was not what they did but that he didn't communicate it more effectively.

Quote:
Maybe they fear the postal changes (rates, limited delivery days)
This has to be a key factor here.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #79

Where we live, with our DSL internet service, the streaming option is just usable. Given this, we like the 2 DVD at a time service but won't be surprised if this option disappears in the not too distant future. Hoping the Qwikster continues to work out for us.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

I bet they sell the DVD business for the money needed to make their streaming content awesome, killing the DVD business in the process...

They need to figure out how to address the ISP bandwidth cap problem as well. More capital could certainly help that - maybe buying up some dark fiber?

The recent moves have been too boneheaded to be anything but the start of a brilliant strategy.