How to *physically* attach a DVD drive to a laptop/Chromebook?

Why would someone need to physically attach a DVD drive? Just get a USB drive and use it when needed. The only time you need it is for a new program or a DVD rip.

The shortness of the USB cable on any particular portable drive means the attachment possibilities are limited by cable length. That slim Dell drive says it has 24 inch cable, which would be plenty long. OTH my portable has just 8 inches of stiffer cable (USB 3.0) and that might not work well, depending on where the USB port may be.

Note that DW316 drive is just USB 2.0 and does not play BluRay.

Why would someone need to physically attach a DVD drive? Just get a USB drive and use it when needed. ....

It's just a (relatively small ) matter of convenience. It's is (slightly) easier to to set/move a laptop with an internal DVD somewhere, than to set/move a laptop that has an external DVD at the end of a cable flopping around. No worries that the DVD slides off and pulls on the cable and pulls the laptop down or stresses/damages the cable (or worse, the USB connector in the laptop).

... The only time you need it is for a new program or a DVD rip.

Not true. From my OP:
(*) And don't say "DVDs?" Many of the series she watches are not available streaming on Netflix, so a DVD player is a must. She streams other stuff, so it's not a "stuck in the 1990's thing".

Sure, we could rip them first, but that's an extra step. It's not the end of the world, but a built in/attached DVD is just the best one-step, no change to her routine required, solution.

Will probably go the Linux on a Windows computer when hers dies, we will see.

-ERD50

I’m still with Velcro strips. Who cares what it looks like. DW is not likely to care and with a little trial and error, you should be able to find a good spot for it. Best thing is that you can get any type of computer you want (Apple, Chromebook, . . .). Good luck.

Will probably go the Linux on a Windows computer when hers dies, we will see.

-ERD50

Sounds like you answered your own question.

As for classy, having a Mac with external DVD vs and old Win laptop with built in external, that's in the eye of the beholder. You could always as what she prefers and go from there. That way you are off the hook if she doesn't like the decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom