Netflix movie or show suggestion

We just watched a Doc Martin "prequel" movie. The series is available through netflix streaming, starting with season two (not one). Grrr.

We just watched a Doc Martin "prequel" movie. The series is available through netflix streaming, starting with season two (not one). Grrr.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can stream seasons 1-5 of Doc Martin on Amazon Instant Video. It's the only place I was able to find the first season.

They also have two of the prequel movies available for streaming for prime members. I have seen some of the recent episodes on our PBS station, and just started watching the series from the beginning on Amazon. Love the quirky characters. :)

Last edited:
We enjoyed this French movie (subtitles) Farwell, My Queen.

From Netflix DVD rental :
As revolution threatens Louis XVI's reign, Marie Antoinette asks a lady in waiting to act as her decoy in the event of a sudden escape. At first, the trusted servant is honored by the arrangement, until she comes to realize what it really means.

Last edited:
If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can stream seasons 1-5 of Doc Martin on Amazon Instant Video. It's the only place I was able to find the first season.

They also have two of the prequel movies available for streaming for prime members. I have seen some of the recent episodes on our PBS station, and just started watching the series from the beginning on Amazon. Love the quirky characters. :)

I didn't even think to check on Amazon Prime; when I saw Netflicks had several seasons, I thought the show must be exclusive to Netflicks. Yay! Thank you so much! :flowers:

Finished Dexter, whew!

It started out great but no series should stretch to 8 seasons. After watching the last episode of 5th season, I was watching it for sake of completing what I've started. Too much of a good thing isn't ....

I didn't even think to check on Amazon Prime; when I saw Netflicks had several seasons, I thought the show must be exclusive to Netflicks. Yay! Thank you so much! :flowers:

You're very welcome! :greetings10:

I subscribe to Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and Netflix, and recently discovered that there is more overlap between the three than I originally thought.

Last night I watched first of six episodes of movie called "Rectify". It was very good. Has 4 1/2 stars.

"Convicted of rape and murder at age 18, Daniel Holden spends nearly 20 years on death row until DNA evidence brings the verdict into question."

I enjoyed Station Agent (both on DVD and streaming). Not a movie likely to upset anyone.

I watched Station Agent again tonight. I saw (twice) it when it first came out, and it hasn't lost any of its charm over the years.

I watched "Twenty Feet from Stardom" the other night on Netflix. Its a documentary about backup singers. It won an Academy Award last year for Best Documentary I think.

I watched "Twenty Feet from Stardom" the other night on Netflix. Its a documentary about backup singers. It won an Academy Award last year for Best Documentary I think.

I loved Twenty Feet from Stardom!
If you're into music-oriented documentaries, I highly recommend:
Muscle Shoals
Beware of Mr. Baker (about Ginger Baker)
The Punk Singer (Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill, etc)

and not quite as good as the above, but still a good watch:
Ain't in It for My Health: Levon Helm

Just got an email from Netflix that the second season of Longmire is now available on streaming. :dance:

Season 2 is available on Amazon, but you have to pay for it (not on Prime yet).

Signing off now to watch Season 2 Episode 1.

Just got an email from Netflix that the second season of Longmire is now available on streaming. :dance:

Season 2 is available on Amazon, but you have to pay for it (not on Prime yet).

Signing off now to watch Season 2 Episode 1.

Season 3 begins June 2nd. :dance::dance:

The Dancer Upstairs
133 minutes

From the Wikipedia page:
The Dancer Upstairs*is a 2002*Spanish-American*crime*thriller film*directed by*John Malkovich*(in his*directorial debut) and starring Javier Bardem,*Juan Diego Botto*and*Laura Morante. The film is an adaptation of the*book of the same name*by*Nicholas Shakespeare, who also wrote the screenplay.

We watched The Lone Ranger. Johnny Depp is good as Tonto in this modernized tale. It is fun and not to be taken seriously. Some nice chuckles:
In this reboot of the 1950s television series, Native American warrior Tonto rescues wounded lawman John Reid and restores him to health, thus creating an often-contentious but effective partnership as they attempt to rid the Old West of corruption.
Downside is that it is very long, something like 2.5 hours. They should have cut out some action scenes but all those special affects seem to be hard for Hollywood to resist.

Blue is the Warmest Colour. Winner of the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. French, with subtitles. Rather long at 179 minutes, but very well acted. A coming of age story with lots of lesbian sex. Controversial and not for the religious right, for sure!

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me is available on streaming. Very good documentary on a great band that should have been much bigger than they were.

Drinking Buddies with Olivia Wilde is one that I didn't expect to be anything special but it was. Very naturalistic script and performances. Sounds like someone left a recorder running in the workplace.

It's a little disconcerting in the same way the British version of Wallander is--to have British actors playing Swedish and Italian cops.

Both the Swedish and British versions of Wallender are on Netflix......at least, Series 2 of the Swedish version is. I watched the first episode last night and it was excellent. Multiple surprises and good character development.

Just discovered "Last Tango in Halifax" on Netflix. Love that the British can center a series on older characters. Derek Jacobi is wonderful. I can certainly identify with the couple's adventures regarding online dating over 50. In their case, waaayyy over 50. :)

We just finished series 1 of Last Tango on Netflix last night, and we were delighted to learn that series 2 debuts on PBS this Sunday night (6/29/14). What great timing!

We just finished series 1 of Last Tango on Netflix last night, and we were delighted to learn that series 2 debuts on PBS this Sunday night (6/29/14). What great timing!

ohoh thanks for reminding me, GalaxyBoy! I don't have a TV but can watch the episodes the next day on pbs.org.

Endeavour season 2 also premieres this Sunday on Masterpiece. :dance:

here I am with another suggestion for all you blues lovers out there:
Muscle Shoals

A documentary about the incredible music recorded in little ol' Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

I love the blues and have been a huge fan of the Allman Brothers since I was 18.

I like this documentary for the peek behind the album covers: the original studio musicians were all white country boys. Yet they played with so many wonderful black artists, and the sound was fantastic.

Even ol' Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are very articulate about the experience recording there.

And is there a better soul song than Percy Sledge's "When a man loves a woman"? :)

I'll 3rd (or fourth? lost track) Muscle Shoals. Very good on many different levels. Good story and great music. It was also rather refreshing to see these southern boys working side by side with the black artists, and everyone treated each other as equals. After watching some of the civil rights documentaries recently, it's easy to forget that not everyone was a bigot.

Muscle Shoals - Rotten Tomatoes

Another good one (also mentioned earlier)

20 Feet From Stardom - Rotten Tomatoes

Hannah Arendt (2012) tells the true story of a German-Jewish professor of philosophy/political theorist reporting on the Adolf Eichmann war crimes trial for the New Yorker. She was vilified for her analysis, in which she commented on "the banality of evil" and was critical of some of the actions of Jewish leaders during the Holocaust. Most of the dialogue is in German (with subtitles). Barbara Sukowa (who played Hildegard von Bingen in "Vision") is excellent in the title role, though she must have developed lung damage from chain smoking.

Enjoyed this low key comedy movie Enough Said.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini star in this charming comedy about a divorced woman venturing into a relationship with a sweet man. But things get tricky when she discovers the man she's dating is the hated ex-husband of her new best friend.

Back
Top Bottom