Netflix movie or show suggestion

We've been watching Happy Valley. If a title ever misrepresented a series, this is it. It's a really gritty British crime drama on Netflix with 6 episodes. The actors are fabulous. It's about a kidnapping and a policewoman who works the case. In some ways, I'm reminded of the feel of Prime Suspect, the old Helen Mirren show. It's very suspenseful and sometimes brutal. Has anyone else seen it? It's streaming on Netflix.

We've been watching Happy Valley. If a title ever misrepresented a series, this is it. It's a really gritty British crime drama on Netflix with 6 episodes. The actors are fabulous. It's about a kidnapping and a policewoman who works the case. In some ways, I'm reminded of the feel of Prime Suspect, the old Helen Mirren show. It's very suspenseful and sometimes brutal. Has anyone else seen it? It's streaming on Netflix.

It is on my "to watch" list. Thanks for the good review - I'll move it up a few notches on the list! :)

We just watched the British TV mini-series (4 episodes) Lost in Austen on Hulu, where a lady from the modern age switches places and time periods with Ms. Elizabeth Bennett, and the plot of Pride and Prejudice gets all messed up. It's just hilarious, especially if you've watched version of Pride and Prejudice such as the 1996 BBC six-expisode version.

Worth checking to see if it's available on Netflix.

Last edited:

I saw it on the BBC earlier this year and thought it was excellent, set in the Calder Valley, West Yorkshire.

Thanks for the tip, I'll watch it again on Netflix.

ETA

If you liked the lead actress, Sarah Lancashire, then you'll probably enjoy Last Tango in Halifax (also West Yorkshire) on Netflix streaming

Last edited:
We just watched the British TV mini-series (4 episodes) Lost in Austen on Hulu, where a lady from the modern age switches places and time periods with Ms. Elizabeth Bennett, and the plot of Pride and Prejudice gets all messed up. It's just hilarious, especially if you've watched version of Pride and Prejudice such as the 1996 BBC six-expisode version.

Unfortunately it isn't. But I will watch out for it. Thanks for the tip!

We just watched the British TV mini-series (4 episodes) Lost in Austen on Hulu, where a lady from the modern age switches places and time periods with Ms. Elizabeth Bennett,

+1

When I first read the title I thought it was about some big city East coast person getting stranded in Texas. But, it is much better than that. Highly recommended.

If it is still streaming check out the Canadian series "Slings and Arrows" about a Shakespeare group whose old director comes back as ghost. Very funny.

I like the heavy duty intellectual stuff - The Adventures of Milo and Otis.

Strained my understanding of nature - but stroked my inner child.

heh heh heh - they were backwards. Our Pug is Milo not Otis. :D

I just finished watching that too. Loved the novelty of the concept, and I think the length of the series was just right as, for me at least, the novelty of the idea and it's execution was just beginning to lose some of it's sheen by the time the series ended.

Quite neat seeing Elizabeth partially integrated into the modern world with a laptop and mobile phone!

I just finished watching that too. Loved the novelty of the concept, and I think the length of the series was just right as, for me at least, the novelty of the idea and it's execution was just beginning to lose some of it's sheen by the time the series ended.

Quite neat seeing Elizabeth partially integrated into the modern world with a laptop and mobile phone!

I also enjoyed "Death Comes to Pemberly" on Amazon Prime streaming which is a PD James murder mystery set in that time at Pemberly. (Bletchley Circle star Anna Maxwell Martin plays Elezabeth)

I also enjoyed "Death Comes to Pemberly" on Amazon Prime streaming which is a PD James murder mystery set in that time at Pemberly. (Bletchley Circle star Anna Maxwell Martin plays Elezabeth)

Will look for that, thanks!

Hmmmm - I see it available from pbs.org, and I can stream it from there and mirror to the Apple TV. But it tells me that the first two episodes expire in two days. Odd.

I didn't see it free to prime members at Amazon Prime. What am I missing?

Last edited:

Watched episode 1 last night and enjoyed it very much.

Having a little trouble with the streaming from PBS.

Any medieval / renaissance fan? If you are, I would recommend "Borgia" by Canal+, it is much better than the Showtime version "The Borgias". It is on Netflix streaming, 3 seasons, the last season just released about a month ago.

The show is in English, but it is an international production, so you get actors from various countries with various accents. At the first it is a little weird, but once you get pass this, the show and acting become engrossing. I especially like the actor that portrays Cesare Borgia.

It doesn't have as a big budget as the Showtime version, but is it much more faithful to the historical time and does a better job at digging into the inner world of the characters.

Any medieval / renaissance fan? If you are, I would recommend "Borgia" by Canal+, it is much better than the Showtime version "The Borgias". It is on Netflix streaming, 3 seasons, the last season just released about a month ago.

The show is in English, but it is an international production, so you get actors from various countries with various accents. At the first it is a little weird, but once you get pass this, the show and acting become engrossing. I especially like the actor that portrays Cesare Borgia.

It doesn't have as a big budget as the Showtime version, but is it much more faithful to the historical time and does a better job at digging into the inner world of the characters.

Thanks, I've added it to my watchlist.

I saw it on the BBC earlier this year and thought it was excellent, set in the Calder Valley, West Yorkshire.

Thanks for the tip, I'll watch it again on Netflix.

ETA

If you liked the lead actress, Sarah Lancashire, then you'll probably enjoy Last Tango in Halifax (also West Yorkshire) on Netflix streaming

Yes, Alan, I've already watched Last Tango in Halifax and she is partly why I started watching Happy Valley. She is terrific!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

This won't be everyone's cup of meat but some people here will enjoy it. " Bojack Horseman" is an animated series featuring the voices of Will Arnett and Aaron Paul. The show is beyond weird but manages to be pretty hilarious. There's even a Christmas special.

Just browsing through a list of Netflix movies that are becoming unavailable soon - What's On NETFLIX Now?: EXPIRING SOON - and noticed one of my all time favorites Watch Duck Soup Online | Netflix was on the list. So I watched it tonight and laughed so hard I thought I would let others know in case they want to catch it again before it's gone.

Edit: Disappearing from streaming, not DVD.

Last edited:
Just browsing through a list of Netflix movies that are becoming unavailable soon - What's On NETFLIX Now?: EXPIRING SOON - and noticed one of my all time favorites Watch Duck Soup Online | Netflix was on the list. So I watched it tonight and laughed so hard I thought I would let others know in case they want to catch it again before it's gone.

Edit: Disappearing from streaming, not DVD.

Thanks for the heads up on Duck Soup. We watched that soooo many times, so many decades ago, often as we nursed hangovers on New Years Day--haven't had a hangover in forever, but will watch the Marxes clearheadedon New Years Eve this year. Will probably get a lot more out of it than just the broad comedy :LOL:

......... I liked Silver Linings Playbook, but the characters made me feel very anxious for much of the movie. I had to work for a couple of years with some ladies who had the same illness. Their unpredictable behaviors really bothered me, being an introvert. Too much drama and emotion at work. However, by the end of the movie, I decided I really liked it.

I liked it, DW gave it four stars.
More characters, lighter mood than Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. Did not stray far from the romantic, comedy/drama formula. Nevertheless, it is a better than average Hollywood paycheck movie.

Last edited:
I recommend Black Mirror, a British show that is sort of an updated Twilight Zone. There are only 6 episodes. I've watched 5 so far and they are all VERY good, very thought provoking. I think it was just recently added to streaming.

We like this 4 part documentary about the Medicis: The Medicis, Godfathers of the Renaissance:

This installment of PBS's educational "Empires" series focuses on the Medici, one of European history's most influential merchant families and patrons to some of the greatest artists in the Italian Renaissance -- including Leonard da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael. Movers and shakers from the 14th century onward, the Medici used any means necessary, whether it be money or merciless tactics, to leave a lasting impression on art and science.

Back
Top Bottom