Netflix movie or show suggestion

We watched "Appropriate Adult" the other night, a true story about two British serial killers from the perspective of the volunteer inexperienced social worker assigned to the case. Very serious, Emily Watson is perfect as the appropriate adult.

The title came up when we searched for the not-available Broadchurch, a series that the US Gracepoint series is based on (meaning copies, even the lead actor is the same but with a US accent, so okay, why?). Anna Gunn from Breaking Bad is in Gracepoint--we did not watch BB so she is new to us but very good.

Netflix movie suggestion

Last week, we watched "Nebraska" with Bruce Dern. Not from Netflix, I got adventurous and went to a Redbox (exciting! I always wondered what those people were poking at at the grocery store). It's a good movie, a little sad, but worth your time.

Edit: oops, I didn't realize that was just mentioned. Add my thumbs up.

Last edited:
Not sure if these have been mentioned, but I really loved Last tango in Halifax. We also liked Exile and Secrets and Lies. They are both mystery stories, while Halifax is drama and a bit of comedy about the romance of two retired people and the surrounding family stories.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Not sure if these have been mentioned, but I really loved Last tango in Halifax. We also liked Exile and Secrets and Lies. They are both mystery stories, while Halifax is drama and a bit of comedy about the romance of two retired people and the surrounding family stories.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I usually call it "Last Train to Halifax" by mistake. :LOL: i like it but I wish the farmer daughter plot line would hurry up and get past dead husband already!

Netflix notified me that the third and final series of Wallander (the Swedish version) is now available. I know this ends with Wallander (a detective) developing dementia. I loved Series 1 and 2 and will definitely watch Series 3. Rated 5 stars on Netflix.

We watch the PBS Wallender with Kenneth Branaugh, which I know isn't the original version. Maybe we should try the other. I hate to see any person or character get dementia, since my mom had it. So horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

... Can't seem to get to The Game said:
Not sure if this applies to your situation...

I found The Game available On Demand from my cable company (Time Warner). No charge but commercials were included.

Very good show BTW. Very much a John LeCarre-type story.

We watch the PBS Wallender with Kenneth Branaugh, which I know isn't the original version. Maybe we should try the other. I hate to see any person or character get dementia, since my mom had it. So horrible.

I did watch the last series of Swedish Wallender. It was powerful stuff, subtly acted. I will not be watching the British version, as Krister Henriksson is now the definitive Wallender in my mind and I don't want to spoil it.

I have been watching more subtitled movies:

Ida (2013) is a stark Polish movie in monochrome, set in the early 1960s, about a young nun who researches her family history with her alcoholic aunt, who is wonderfully depicted by Agata Kulesza. Ida faces a lifechanging dilemma. The cinematography and atmosphere are beautiful. Excellent movie. 5 stars.

After the Wedding (2006) is an award winning Danish movie starring Mads Mikkelsen as a social worker at an Indian orphanage who takes a fundraising trip to Copenhagen to meet with a wealthy philanthropist. Once again, dark family secrets surface and our hero faces a big dilemma, one which will impact many people. It's all about the eyes in this movie. 4.5 stars.

Last edited:
+1 for After the Wedding

"Ida" is on my list.

"Lullaby" (2014) is also a good but sad movie about a son who broke ties with his family returning to witness the death of his father.

Watched The Railway Man on DVD last night and liked it:
Decades after his brutal captivity under the Japanese during World War II, Eric Lomax still has nightmares about the ordeal. But when he unexpectedly meets and falls for Patti, a bizarre coincidence brings his past back into focus.
Cast: Nicole Kidman, Stellan Skarsgård, Colin Firth, more...

DON'T rent The Signal (2014 film):yuk:

Not recommending, but a comment on Lilyhammer.
If they ever give an award for improbability, this could be a nominee. I watch it because of fascination with screenwriter's imagination.

for normal viewing... weird
in a good mood?... really funny

Just watched the first episode of Black Mirror. Quite a bizarre comment on social media.:LOL::LOL: Just remember you have been warned!

Not recommending, but a comment on Lilyhammer.
If they ever give an award for improbability, this could be a nominee. I watch it because of fascination with screenwriter's imagination.

for normal viewing... weird
in a good mood?... really funny

+1. IMO very funny however my tastes lean towards the weird.:LOL::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom