Netflix movie or show suggestion

Wait...but not MINE? I sense movie snobbery at play here, Alan.
Go watch the Kung Fu movie...it is only 30 minutes! :D

30 minutes of distilled awesomeness.

I feel like an insider, since I saw it last smmer on YouTube. One of the American collaborators advertised it on Facebook to his followers.

Surprisingly, DW and many of my friends didn't appreciate it. Good to know there are others with exquisite taste.

I feel like an insider, since I saw it last smmer on YouTube. One of the American collaborators advertised it on Facebook to his followers.

Surprisingly, DW and many of my friends didn't appreciate it. Good to know there are others with exquisite taste.

You are my people, cooch! :D

You are my people, cooch! :D
:)

I am watching Quirke, a three part miniseries based on the novels of John Banville. A dark thriller whose eponymous main character (Gabriel Byrne) is an alcoholic pathologist in repressed 1950s Dublin. Well acted, lots of gloomy atmosphere. I'm enjoying this, and am disappointed that there are only three 90 minute episodes, but it might not be of interest to a North American audience.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirke_(TV_series)

BBC - Major Anglo-Irish co-production brings John Banville?s acclaimed novels to BBC One - Media Centre

I watched it a while back and add my endorsement, I thought it was very good indeed. Don't watch it if you're feeling depressed :)

Second season of Happy Valley is available. Just as good as the first season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to turn on captions to understand the actors!!!
Seems to be a trend in Great Britain. Is it to be inclusive or be more authentic? Getting the Brit ear tuned to all the regional accents seems like a good idea but to American ears it is an effort to decipher. Then they throw in the mumbling (must be authentic).

Seems to be a trend in Great Britain. Is it to be inclusive or be more authentic? Getting the Brit ear tuned to all the regional accents seems like a good idea but to American ears it is an effort to decipher. Then they throw in the mumbling (must be authentic).

I've watched some reality TV shows filmed in the US with captions....just sayin

I had to turn on captions to understand the actors!!!

:2funny:

It has actually got so bad that some shows have had lots of Brits complaining that they can't understand the accents. Making accents authentic can go too far at times.

I struggled to understand an otherwise excellent BBC drama in 2014 based on the novel Jamaica Inn.

Jamaica Inn: 'incoherent mumbling' ruins BBC drama - Telegraph

The three-part Daphne du Maurier drama starring Jessica Brown Findlay began on BBC One last night.

But viewers struggled to make out what was going on, with many resorting to subtitles or abandoning the episode altogether. The BBC said 117 people had contacted the corporation to complain, while many more registered their displeasure on Twitter and the BBC website.

I just leave the captions on these days. Mumbling isn't limited to Britain. Regional accents in the US can throw me also. Understanding the stories in many programs often depends upon nuance, which is the first to go without subtitles.

Did anyone already mention Black Mirror? It is a British series, more like one-off episodes that don't really relate to each other. Really well done, sort of a Twilight Zone feeling and mostly about how technology isn't always the answer to everything.
Haven't watched all, but 15 Million Merits was fantastic, as was White Christmas. Creepy enough that I've been thinking about them a week later!

I just leave the captions on these days. Mumbling isn't limited to Britain. Regional accents in the US can throw me also. Understanding the stories in many programs often depends upon nuance, which is the first to go without subtitles.

Agree. Not easy understanding poor accents along with the mumbling.

We watched 2 episodes of Code last night and liked the show. It's produced in Australia. A reporter stumbles into a story about 2 teens in an accident and only one survives. Somehow the government is involved in this and intelligence agencies too.

Watched the first episode of Stranger Things. It has promise. It's by the brothers who wrote the first couple of seasons of Wayward Pines, which DW and DD are hooked on.

Watched the first episode of Stranger Things. It has promise. It's by the brothers who wrote the first couple of seasons of Wayward Pines, which DW and DD are hooked on.

Finished this last night. OK. More of a teen series. Reminds me of ET. First 3-4 eps drag a bit. The fact that we finished it means it's fairly good. I rate it 3.5 out of 5.

I'm curious about it, but I have read that a lot of folks had the intention of watching just one or two episodes and ended up binge watching the entire thing so I am going to wait until the DW is home in case it's THAT GOOD. :D

Back
Top Bottom