Netflix movie or show suggestion

Started watching The Practice from episode 1 on Hulu. Enjoying it and laughing at the things they say and do that would be too "politically correct" to do today.

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) starring the incomparable Maggie Smith. She won the Oscar for Best Actress for this role. I saw this movie many years ago. It was better and more complex than I remembered. It takes place is Edinburgh, Scotland, in the 1930s. Miss Jean Brodie is a teacher in a private girls' school. At first she seems enlightened, introducing her pupils to art and literature beyond the curriculum. As the movie progresses, we learn that she is a dangerously misguided idealist who is leading her pupils into danger.

Maggie Smith, of course, is hardly an advertisement for ER. She is still turning out some of her best work at age 81.

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) starring the incomparable Maggie Smith. She won the Oscar for Best Actress for this role. I saw this movie many years ago. It was better and more complex than I remembered. It takes place is Edinburgh, Scotland, in the 1930s. Miss Jean Brodie is a teacher in a private girls' school. At first she seems enlightened, introducing her pupils to art and literature beyond the curriculum. As the movie progresses, we learn that she is a dangerously misguided idealist who is leading her pupils into danger.

Maggie Smith, of course, is hardly an advertisement for ER. She is still turning out some of her best work at age 81.

Agree on the movie "Prime of Miss Jane Brodie". It was a favorite of mine way back then. I saw it on Amazon, and was tempted to watch it again, but got distracted.

Maggie Smith is a fabulous actress. She is priceless in Downton Abby. Love her facial expressions and delivery. All the funny lines are delivered by her.

One of my all time favorites, I've looked for it a few times, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. (I did have to make a VPN connection to Canada to get it)

Started watching The Physician. Very interesting portrayal of Middle Ages England and some fascinating medical history. Pretty good so far. Our physician wannabe is about to cross the channel.....

Started watching The Physician. Very interesting portrayal of Middle Ages England and some fascinating medical history. Pretty good so far. Our physician wannabe is about to cross the channel.....

Thanks, I've added it to my watch list.

I'm really liking The Fall, an excellent Irish/British crime drama series on Netflix. Gillian Anderson (best known from The X-Files) stars and gives a first-rate performance, IMHO. The only downside to the show is that the seasons are short (5 or 6 episodes). Season 3 is supposed to air sometime this year.

"Based on the remarkable bestselling autobiography, THE RAILWAY MAN tells the extraordinary and epic true story of Eric Lomax (Colin Firth), a British Army officer who is tormented as a prisoner of war at a Japanese labor camp during World War II."

The Railway Man (2014) - Rotten Tomatoes

I find my ratings of movies on Netflix are definitely swayed by the low cost. I gave it 5 stars, but probably more like 4 stars for most viewers.

I'm really liking The Fall, an excellent Irish/British crime drama series on Netflix. Gillian Anderson (best known from The X-Files) stars and gives a first-rate performance, IMHO. The only downside to the show is that the seasons are short (5 or 6 episodes). Season 3 is supposed to air sometime this year.

I loved that show, but now make sure I lock my doors whenever I come in and set our alarm when we leave! Yikes, that was scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I don't think this movie has been mentioned here yet.

We watched "The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies" and it was excellent. It is a British movie (based on a true story) about a retired schoolteacher who becomes a murder suspect and gets hounded by the media due to his odd mannerisms.

Highly recommended.

I have a recommendation! But it is only for those who can appreciate a fantastically ridiculous spoof of every shoot-em-up cop movie ever. We laughed like idiots watching it. Ready? It is Kung Fury. Thank me later. :)

I don't think this movie has been mentioned here yet.

We watched "The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies" and it was excellent. It is a British movie (based on a true story) about a retired schoolteacher who becomes a murder suspect and gets hounded by the media due to his odd mannerisms.

Highly recommended.

Looks good, added it to my list. :)

I have a recommendation! But it is only for those who can appreciate a fantastically ridiculous spoof of every shoot-em-up cop movie ever. We laughed like idiots watching it. Ready? It is Kung Fury. Thank me later. :)

I'll always take a recommendation from Don, since I know he has the same (bad?) taste in movies that I do. And if you like it too that's even better. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Streamable series: "The Heavy Water War", plenty of drama and suspense about the Norwegian Underground and Germany's attempt to build a bomb in the late days of WW2.

Streamable series: "The Heavy Water War", plenty of drama and suspense about the Norwegian Underground and Germany's attempt to build a bomb in the late days of WW2.

I added that a few days ago but haven't started watching it so I'm pleased to hear that it is good.

Last edited:
Watched it. Thank you! :)

We've liked Ripper Street. Set in a post Jack-the-Ripper London follows London detectives as they go after bad guys.

Spoiler: bad guys are caught.

The experimentor

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I am watching Quirke, a three part miniseries based on the novels of John Banville. A dark thriller whose eponymous main character (Gabriel Byrne) is an alcoholic pathologist in repressed 1950s Dublin. Well acted, lots of gloomy atmosphere. I'm enjoying this, and am disappointed that there are only three 90 minute episodes, but it might not be of interest to a North American audience.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirke_(TV_series)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/quirke.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom