Netflix movie or show suggestion

We enjoyed season 1 of "Happy Valley" and are on to season 2. It is not at all what the title would suggest. It's about a female police sergeant in West Yorkshire, UK, and the story line is pretty good.

We enjoyed season 1 also.....don't know if our library has season 2 yet.

Right now we're on season 2 of The Last Kingdom which is great.....however it seems the BBC cancelled season 3, and it went to Netflix....don't know if the library will pick it up.

+1 to those who are enjoying The Kominsky Method. I have little awareness of current popular culture, and usually catch on to things long after everyone has moved on to the next big thing. Was fully expecting to discover that I was the last person on the planet to discover this series, but pleasantly surprised to find that it is, in fact, new.

Alan Arkin's character has hilarious one-liners.

+1 to those who are enjoying The Kominsky Method. I have little awareness of current popular culture, and usually catch on to things long after everyone has moved on to the next big thing. Was fully expecting to discover that I was the last person on the planet to discover this series, but pleasantly surprised to find that it is, in fact, new.

Alan Arkin's character has hilarious one-liners.

It's an outstanding show. Leaves DW and I laughing every episode. Douglas and Arkin play their roles so effortlessly and natural.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 2nd season premiers Dec. 5. 5* comedy/drama, best writing I've seen. It's on Prime.

On Netflix;
The Christmas Chronicles. Stars Kurt Russel as Santa Claus. This is a new one and it's really good! He really rocks the Santa look.

Don't use Netflix, but we really enjoyed this Dutch movie, (English subtitles):

(Although how they got away with advertising Rutger Hauer as one of the stars I don't know.....he was only featured for about 30 seconds more than I was....and I wasn't.)

Loved the book - (hey, we love all his books) - hope the movie version can somehow find its way to our library.

It's a series. Numerous episodes - 63! Might be a bit challenging for the library. Worth paying for a month of Netflix?

The bolded part above is the operative phrase - yes, there are a lot of things now on Netflix "of interest", but not of high quality. At least not to us. One way for me to tell this is we will watch a series on Netflix and a week later I cannot even remember it. They go in one ear and out the other and nothing "sticks". That to me is a sure sign of TV-like schlock. I'd rather read a book. Or watch HBO.

We are also experiencing high quality on our series of interest. We don't generally watch low quality stuff - we lose interest quickly.

Don't use Netflix, but we really enjoyed this Dutch movie, (English subtitles):

(Although how they got away with advertising Rutger Hauer as one of the stars I don't know.....he was only featured for about 30 seconds more than I was....and I wasn't.)

Oh - that's about famous Admiral Michiel de Ruyter! - a major Dutch hero. I remember seeing his portrait in The Hague, and his grave in the church off Dam Square in Amsterdam. I'll have to track that down!

If you are curious about shows produced in Eastern Europe and Russia, consider "1983" and "The Sniffer". The former is a Cold War alternate history saga that has been dubbed from Polish into English. The Sniffer is a light, sometimes humorous, crime mystery in which a detective with an acute sense of smell can sniff out the culprit.

If you are curious about shows produced in Eastern Europe and Russia, consider "1983" and "The Sniffer". The former is a Cold War alternate history saga that has been dubbed from Polish into English. The Sniffer is a light, sometimes humorous, crime mystery in which a detective with an acute sense of smell can sniff out the culprit.

Sounds intriguing.

We’ve really been enjoying foreign productions.

Oh - that's about famous Admiral Michiel de Ruyter! - a major Dutch hero.

Exactly....and, regardless of his accomplishments, he, and others, fell foul to baseless politically motivated accusations of treason, collusion & conspiracy......something seen throughout history.......plus ça change and all that.

Last edited:
It's a series. Numerous episodes - 63! Might be a bit challenging for the library. Worth paying for a month of Netflix?

We'll keep it in mind...thanks.

I like foreign films but Netflix is dubbing the language with English! I'd rather watch the original language and read the English subtitles. I clicked on 4-5 foreign films and was so disappointed and tried to adjust but to no avail.

I like foreign films but Netflix is dubbing the language with English! I'd rather watch the original language and read the English subtitles. I clicked on 4-5 foreign films and was so disappointed and tried to adjust but to no avail.

Which ones?

I also prefer subtitles to dubbing. All of the Netflix content we’ve been watching had subtitles available. Haven’t run up into dubbing.

Which ones?

I also prefer subtitles to dubbing. All of the Netflix content we’ve been watching had subtitles available. Haven’t run up into dubbing.
1983 ok, this is weird. When I click on the movie, it will have English dubbed, then I re click and it has subtitles. Are you able to switch dubbed to subtitles? Elite and Fugitiva also.

Last edited:
1983 ok, this is weird. When I click on the movie, it will have English dubbed, then I re click and it has subtitles. Are you able to switch dubbed to subtitles? Elite and Fugitiva also.

Who knows. Maybe. I haven’t tried it, but there are often choices of several languages for subtitles.

Just chatted with Netflix. There was an issue with my preferences. I think I fixed it. I'm using a Prime stick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom