network IP camera login failure

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
I have an IP camera at my vacation condo through a cable modem. I log in almost daily to check it out. I couldn't login for 4 days with a "server not found" or similar message. Now it's working. Maybe the cable was out. Before I call the cable co, does anyone know what could have caused this?

Do you have the IP camera and all the associated network hardware on some type of UPS so that it is more robust to power disturbances?

Last edited:
No UPS. I suppose there could have been a power outage, but the server was down for four days. Maybe it takes a while to reboot or whatever after a cable or power outage.

I'm stretching a little, but a power surge or outage followed by a failed reboot, then another surge or outage a few days later followed by a successful reboot? Other than a multi-day power outage I can't see another reason for the long wait time.

I'm stretching a little, but a power surge or outage followed by a failed reboot, then another surge or outage a few days later followed by a successful reboot? Other than a multi-day power outage I can't see another reason for the long wait time.

I was thinking the same thing. I saw a suggestion on this board a while back to add a lamp timer to the power for your router and modem. Setting the timer to turn off for a few minutes once a day gives you a better chance that a reboot related outage only lasts for a day, rather than 4 days or indefinitely. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't speak to the success/failure rate of that strategy.

harley, gromit,

Thanks for the insight. I can't think of a way now to remotely check for power outages. I'll know the next time I go if the clocks show incorrect time. Next time I'm there I'll put a clock in an area that I can pan/zoom to remotely to check to see if the time is ok. If the time is ok after recovering from a server outage, it would probably mean that the cable went out, not the electricity.

Back
Top Bottom