New Scam?

And also, if they change each one to the calling CID, it probably won't trigger a block by the databases like NOMOROBO. Though I thought I read something that they can tell a little more about the source than just caller ID?

-ERD50

I have been reading more and more about NOMOROBO not being as effective as it once was. The spoofing seems to be the new technique...as always, the scammers are always two steps ahead. Blocking all numbers outside of my contacts is great for me now, but once they figure out how to spoof my contacts numbers (and I am sure they will figure it out someway!) then I guess my phone will remain powered off. Or, like my SIL, the ringer is inoperative...outgoing calls only. :D

I have been reading more and more about NOMOROBO not being as effective as it once was. The spoofing seems to be the new technique...as always, the scammers are always two steps ahead. Blocking all numbers outside of my contacts is great for me now, but once they figure out how to spoof my contacts numbers (and I am sure they will figure it out someway!) then I guess my phone will remain powered off. Or, like my SIL, the ringer is inoperative...outgoing calls only. :D

I thought that was the case, but NOMOROBO seems to be really quick, it is still working well for me. I recently had a local CID coming through for a few days, that's been about it for months now.

Earlier, it stopped working and I thought this spoofing was the cause. But I just reset everything, and it absolutely started working again. I guess my account just got screwed up or something.

I highly recommend NOMOROBO - you need to be able to set a "simultaneous ring" number on your phone system to use it. My VOIP provides that option, so I'm good.

-ERD50

I thought that was the case, but NOMOROBO seems to be really quick, it is still working well for me. I recently had a local CID coming through for a few days, that's been about it for months now.

Earlier, it stopped working and I thought this spoofing was the cause. But I just reset everything, and it absolutely started working again. I guess my account just got screwed up or something.

I highly recommend NOMOROBO - you need to be able to set a "simultaneous ring" number on your phone system to use it. My VOIP provides that option, so I'm good.

-ERD50

Ah, that's good to hear. I had OOMA for my Dad for a little while and it seemed to work OK. However, my Dad didn't like the feedback (something with his hearing aids, I believe) so he went back to using his cell phone which rings about 10 times a day with scammers. I have tried to convince him to use a similar app as my call blocker, but he's convinced that he might miss a VERY IMPORTANT CALL! :facepalm:

-ERD50

I have posted here how Nomorobo hasn't been blocking as many calls as it used to after I first got it back in November. I am glad I have it, though.

But Nomorobo doesn't help me with all the junk cell phone calls I have been getting lately. A week ago Thursday (Feb 23), I received SEVEN junk calls in less than 12 hours.

I got a call yesterday with a new twist. When I said hello, the call clicked into a young lady with a pleasant voice. "Oh, I had a little problem with my headset...there that's better." and she launched into a smoothly-scripted spiel about something.

I get a call from that perky young lady ever few weeks. She is certainly careless! Drops her headset every time!! Just as I answer phone. :confused: There must be some deep psychological reason for that behavior. :D

Given how common this is, why can't someone develop a poison pill PC program? Most folks have an old PC around that they could configure to make a Scammer's Revenge box. Sell the program for $25. When a scammer calls up, fire up the old computer and let them have it!

Maybe there is nothing we can do from this end, but I would sped a few bucks if it had a shot of infecting the scammer's computer!

That's a great idea! While they are planting their crap on your box, your box is planting the "ID bug" on theirs. It gathers all the local data servers and IP addresses well before it goes through a chain of international re-directors and reports this to law enforcement who arrive with guns, a box of zip ties and the paddy wagon.

Fini!

Given how common this is, why can't someone develop a poison pill PC program? Most folks have an old PC around that they could configure to make a Scammer's Revenge box. Sell the program for $25. When a scammer calls up, fire up the old computer and let them have it!

Maybe there is nothing we can do from this end, but I would sped a few bucks if it had a shot of infecting the scammer's computer!
This gentleman has you covered. If you can make a 3 way call, have at it.

There is also another guy who got the call back number of one of these boiler rooms and basically did a DoD (Denial of Service) on the boiler room and brought it to its knees.

But if you instead just want a robot to chat with your boiler room worker, here you go: How to send YOUR telemarketers to this robot – Jolly Roger Telephone

Maybe. But there is also a voice recognition feature. Basically, the boiler rooms have a computer dial out. The computer waits for a live person, and then connects you to one of their slave workers. The computer can pretty much detect answering machines very consistently, so it knows that too, and will put you on deferral for later. And if you just answer without saying anything, it won't connect you to one of their slaves. Can't waste the slaves' time, you know.

You are probably put on a deferral and try again later list.

Answering puts you on a hot list, and most likely gets you sold to other boiler rooms too. Answering and saying "yes" to anything puts you on the hot list.

Want to be on every list, right at the top? Answer, say "yes", and be over age 80 (yes, they know your age). You're golden. You'll have all the friends you ever wanted.

Answering "Yes" to anything is a new scam these days. Apparently they record it, then doctor the recording to ask your approval for some kind of charge, and tack on your agreement. Then they go after you for failure to pay, or maybe they already have a bank or credit card number for you and use this for approval and/or to fight against any dispute of the charge you might later file.

This gentleman has you covered. If you can make a 3 way call, have at it.

There is also another guy who got the call back number of one of these boiler rooms and basically did a DoD (Denial of Service) on the boiler room and brought it to its knees.

But if you instead just want a robot to chat with your boiler room worker, here you go: How to send YOUR telemarketers to this robot – Jolly Roger Telephone

I had to call that bot and it's pretty epic. I wonder if there is a way to set up call forwarding to this number for unknown callers only? That would be fabulous!

I got a call yesterday with a new twist. When I said hello, the call clicked into a young lady with a pleasant voice. "Oh, I had a little problem with my headset...there that's better." and she launched into a smoothly-scripted spiel about something.

But the whole thing was recorded !! When I tried to politely say "I'm not interested" she kept babbling on. I had to laugh about that one.

The calls that really irritate me are the ones where you can hear the caller scramble to pick up the line when they get a live voice on the receiving end. I just tell them, "You've got to do better than that." and hang up.

I've been thinking of doing the reverse, instead of the canned answering machine response, I could do my own:
Hello ?... Oh wait a sec.. my coffee...... there, hello are you there ? ....... leave a message after the beep..

What's amazing is that I have given my cell phone number out to maybe 10 people, all local, but I have received hundreds of junk calls from all over the place in the 2 years I have had my cell phone.

Sometimes those numbers turn over very quickly. I got an employer-issued Blackberry in 2009 and almost immediately started getting calls for the person who had the number before me- from her employer, from the library where she had overdue books, from her student loan provider...I even tried to find her on the Internet but she had a fairly common name- I would have been happy to turn her in to all the people bothering me.

I've had my current iPhone almost 3 years now and the only junk calls I've gotten were surveys following up on services I'd purchased (e.g., car repair).

Sometimes those numbers turn over very quickly. I got an employer-issued Blackberry in 2009 and almost immediately started getting calls for the person who had the number before me- from her employer, from the library where she had overdue books, from her student loan provider...I even tried to find her on the Internet but she had a fairly common name- I would have been happy to turn her in to all the people bothering me.

I've had my current iPhone almost 3 years now and the only junk calls I've gotten were surveys following up on services I'd purchased (e.g., car repair).

I have had my cell number for 2 years and I still get calls and texts for the guy who used to have the number. I have been trying to track him down (not 100% sure of his last name). But when I got a call from a local gym who was trying to reach him (and he had just been in there that DAY!), I found out the guy is still giving out my number. I tried to send him an email (the gym gave me what I thought was his email addy) to ask him to cut it out. The email went through but I didn't hear back.

Some of the junk calls and texts ask for him specifically. I once got a call from an insurance agent who happened to be MY insurance agent. But the caller and I didn't realize that right away (the caller didn't identify the agency and she deleted my cell number before I figured it out later), and I missed a big chance to let him know about his old cell number.

So I hope to get another chance to learn about Leonard and his old cell number still giving me some fits, and let him know he should let people know what his NEW cell number is.

I've got the trial period of XM radio on my new car. After reading about how difficult they make it to drop it, I responded to one of their email 'offers' to sign on, and asked if I could drop the service from my online account w/o having to call someone. They confirmed the only way to cancel service was through a phone call, talking to a live person. They claim they do this for 'security' purposes! Yep, I guess their own 'job security'! I can't imagine someone hacking me and canceling my XM radio account - oh the horror!
-ERD50

I made the mistake once of just not paying XM Radio. I figured that's an easy way out it. NOPE! They started billing me and charging me late fees and threatening collections! It was very contentious until I finally paid them a month of service I didn't use, and cancelled with a paper letter. It was horrendous the way they got their hooks into my money. XM Radio is a nice concept, but horrible company.

I got calls from the "IRS" saying that the "cops" would be around if I did not settle some outstanding tax payments. I played along for a few mins and then couldn't keep it up and when I laughed I got a stream of abuse and threats that the "cops" would arrest me.....I hung up.

Now I if someone calls to sell me solar panels etc I wait for the recorded message to end, press "1" for a representative and just put the phone down; I like to waste their time. I also cross post junk mail......ie I'll send an extended car warranty application to a credit card company and return the blank credit card application to the warranty company. I just mailed a Sierra Club leaflet to the RNC rather than returning a unsolicited questionnaire they sent me.

Executive Summary:

Phone call....India...Scam

Answering "Yes" to anything is a new scam these days. Apparently they record it, then doctor the recording to ask your approval for some kind of charge, and tack on your agreement. Then they go after you for failure to pay, or maybe they already have a bank or credit card number for you and use this for approval and/or to fight against any dispute of the charge you might later file.

Commonly cited, but apparently bogus.
'Can You Hear Me?' Scam Warning

I get calls like this from time to time and just hang up. They are easy enough to detect.

Two or three times a year I get a call from Direct TV telling me that since I've been a loyal subscriber for over 20 years that they are turning on some additional channels for free. Although they do tell you it's free for the next 3 months, the "scam" is if you don't call them back to turn off the channels "before" the free 3 month period is over, they will start charging you additional fees without any additional notification. I always tell them I'll take the free 3 months but to turn them off at the end of the free period and I'll call them back if I want to keep the channels. :nonono: (They wont do that) I know some of you may not agree :facepalm: but IMO, that is a scam too. XM radio is "almost" as bad Direct TV with their billing policies.
Got that same call a few days ago...I told her the only thing i want (for free) is the NFL program which is every regular season game and goes for ~ $300.
I told her to write it down and call me this summer. She chuckled a bit and said "sure." Looks like I'm good to go come August.:dance:

This has been posted before but it is funny. A guy scamming the "Microsoft" scammer by wasting his time.

This has been posted before but it is funny. A guy scamming the "Microsoft" scammer by wasting his time.

Very funny...No wonder the scammer suicide rate is so high.

da blu, da blu da blu

Not a scam, but ripe for one: Recently I got a threatening letter from Express Lanes Virginia, stating that we had failed to pay an electronic toll on a Virginia road and were liable for various fees, which would continue to increase the longer we failed to pay.

We don't own a toll transponder, have never been on the road in question, and were not driving our car on the cited day. Moreover, the photo was of a Nebraska license plate and we are Maryland drivers.

I tried to submit a dispute online, but the web form kept crashing. I called. Solid busy signal.

Next I called the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration and learned that the cited license number was associated with a car that I had bought in 1985 and sold in 1990. MD doesn't reissue plate numbers, so the plates no longer existed. The clerk emailed me a statement about the license number no longer being in circulation in MD.

The next day I called ExpressLanes at opening time and after a long hold, reached a human being who did some checking. Long story short: Someone ran a toll road; the photo was "misread" by a ExpressLane clerk as Maryland, instead of Nebraska; the Maryland MVA produced a "hit" on the license number that matched my name. We got it straightened out.

But it cost several hours of my life. And a not-too-swift old person might well have paid the bogus fine, out of fear of official letters, and not knowing what else to do.

Someone ran a toll road; the photo was "misread" by a ExpressLane clerk as Maryland, instead of Nebraska; the Maryland MVA produced a "hit" on the license number that matched my name.

Expect more of this as time goes by.
More and more bridges and roads are being converted to tolls, and toll booths are considered just too expensive to build and man. The license plate recognition technology works well enough most of the time to justify using it exclusively.

I think of this every time I see a vehicle on the road with one of those dark tinted plastic covers over the plate, a mud-spattered plate, or sometimes one that looks like it was sandblasted.

I also cross post junk mail......ie I'll send an extended car warranty application to a credit card company and return the blank credit card application to the warranty company.

I used to return a lot of junk mail solicitations like this (blank of course), sometimes with notes scribbled on top of them, using their business reply/postage paid envelopes, sometimes stuffing extra junk inside. It seems that the last few years the postage paid envelopes have become rare, and I'm not about to pay for a stamp, so haven't been doing it lately.

A few times my brother went even further, cutting a piece of wood or metal to fit the return envelope for maximum weight, and sending that. (The receiver pays for actual postage cost for the weight.) :D

I got the same one the other day, but as I had recently signed up with the Jolly Roger Telephone Company, she was talking to a bot whose job was to keep the caller on the line as long as possible. It's already grabbed a couple of these calls for me, and I get an email afterward with a recording. Works best with VoIP services that have multiring, or Google Voice. Check it out.

Back
Top Bottom