New seven wonders of the world selected

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
New 7 wonders of the world named - CNN.com

• The Great Wall of China
• Petra in Jordan
• Brazil's statue of Christ the Redeemer
• Peru's Machu Picchu
• Mexico's Chichen Itza pyramid
• The Colosseum in Rome
• India's Taj Mahal

The pyramid people are sort of displeased...

I've only seen two of them. Chicken Pizza and the Colosseum.

Hmmm, never tried Chicken Pizza -- sounds interesting.

Oh, as for the Pyramids, I heard on the radio that they would remain permanently on the list -- so the list is actually 8 wonders.

My nephew has been to a few of those in the last couple of years:
• The Great Wall of China
• The Colosseum in Rome
• India's Taj Mahal

He was at the Taj Mahal and the Great Wall in May Right now he is either in SE Asia or somewhere in Central America, I don't remember which.

He's about 25 or 26, and owns his own advertising company, and only has to actually be in an office about 2 months out of the year. He can conduct most of his business over the internet from anywhere in the world. So the rest of the time he travels the world sight-seeing.

I've visited three:

Colosseum, Rome
Statue of Christ the redeemer, Rio de Janeiro
Great Wall of China

All were very impressive.
Can't decide whether I would prefer to see Machu Picchu or the Taj Mahal next.....

Last edited:
I haven't seen any of them, but my top two choices would be:
-Petra in Jordan
-The Colosseum in Rome

I'm not sure I'd feel safe going to Jordan right now though, so the Colosseum might get bumped to the top if I decide on an international vacation anytime soon ;)

Seems like they missed the obvious one:

The Internet

The entire concept involved the internet. Forest/trees?

-ERD50

The internet wouldn't qualify because the criterion is that it must be a piece of architecture (in the construction sense). Neither do natural wonders qualify.

The internet wouldn't qualify because the criterion is that it must be a piece of architecture (in the construction sense). Neither do natural wonders qualify.

It was constructed, it was architected. Could not exist otherwise.

-ERD50

But the organizing committee could not justify collecting money to "restore" it. They keep 50% of net profits and apply the other half to restorations.

Always look for the motivations behind any of these promotions. You could buy a second vote for $2, or just have alternate Internet personalities.

I have been to the following:

• The Colosseum in Rome

Chichen Itza is incredible...

But I cannot see "Brazil's statue of Christ the Redeemer" being more than the ruins of ancient Egypt (pyramids), or Athens Greece... but it was driven by people voting which was probably a sign of people having visited them recently. I surprised Disney World didn't wind up on there :uglystupid:

How about the Apollo Space system and the lunar lander or the Space Shuttle and launch center. :rant:

Have you ever actually visited the statue of Christ the Redeemer?

You go up a very steep funicular railway to the top of Corcovado, a volcanic mountain. The summit is at 2330 feet above sea level. The view is incredible and the statue is huge.

When I was in Rio 10 years ago, I also took the cable car up the Sugar Loaf mountain. You go up to the peak of Morro d Urca, get off and have a look around, and then take another cable car to an even higher peak, the Sugar Loaf itself, which is 2460 feet above sea level. As we ascended, the cable car rose through the clouds. Across from us, silhouetted by the evening sun, was the statue of Christ the Redeemer, rising above the clouds.

It was as if we had died and gone to heaven.

I guess you have to be there.....

But I cannot see "Brazil's statue of Christ the Redeemer" being more than the ruins of ancient Egypt (pyramids), or Athens Greece

I agree, but don't forget this was run by UN I believe and much, much politics were probably involved. All this, of course, after many resolutions and threats....

Note:
But the new wonders campaign hasn't been universally recognized. The United Nations' cultural organization, UNESCO, issued a statement saying it has "no link whatsoever" to the vote.

Have you ever actually visited the statue of Christ the Redeemer?

You go up a very steep funicular railway to the top of Corcovado, a volcanic mountain. The summit is at 2330 feet above sea level. The view is incredible and the statue is huge.

When I was in Rio 10 years ago, I also took the cable car up the Sugar Loaf mountain. You go up to the peak of Morro d Urca, get off and have a look around, and then take another cable car to an even higher peak, the Sugar Loaf itself, which is 2460 feet above sea level. As we ascended, the cable car rose through the clouds. Across from us, silhouetted by the evening sun, was the statue of Christ the Redeemer, rising above the clouds.

It was as if we had died and gone to heaven.

I guess you have to be there.....

I have not seen it other than in pictures. No doubt, it is magnificent. All of that said... I am hoping to visit Rio some day and see the Statue. I do believe it is a great accomplishment and work of art (i.e., monument).

If it were built in 300 B.C., It would probably fit the bill. However, IMHO it is a contemporary work that does no compare to the Egyptian pyramids and a number of other ancient architectural and/or art works.

I am sure each person may have their own description of what might make something in this world a wonder. I believe the original 7 wonders where works where mankind overcame immense engineering and architectural problems (for the first time), often with some form of artistic and architectural beauty. They pushed their contemporary limitations and boundaries well beyond what man had ever achieved before.

The original Colossus of Rhodes believed to have been finished in 282 B.C. seems to fit the description of a wonder for a statue.

Colossus of Rhodes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found the temples of Angor Watt (Cambodia) to be the most impressive thing, I've seen far more so than the Colessum in Rome. I am going the Great Wall in Sept. and we will see.

I found the temples of Angor Watt (Cambodia) to be the most impressive thing, I've seen far more so than the Colessum in Rome. I am going the Great Wall in Sept. and we will see.

Gosh... It just makes one want to travel that much more. Many nice sites to behold.

I have been to:
  • Machu Picchu--my favorite, but I am biased, having lived 2 years in Peru.
  • Colosseum in Rome
  • Chichen Itza in Mexico
  • Great Wall of China
  • Statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio
  • Pyramids of Giza in Egypt
They are all wonderful places. I loved visiting them all--even though I was at the Great Wall and at the Christ the Redeemer during very rainy weather.

Of the natural wonders that I've visited, my favorites are:
  • Falls of Iguazu in Brazil and Argentina. The most spectacular place I've ever been.
  • Grand Canyon (but the most beautiful view of the "Grand Canyon" is actually Dead Horse Point State Park near Moab, Utah. Just my bias.)
  • College Fjord, Alaska
  • Zion and Bryce National Parks, Utah (I lump them together because they are so close to each other)
  • Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
  • Glacier National Park, Montana
I'm going to visit the Canadian Rockies in October of this year, so I might have another place to add soon.

Back
Top Bottom