Join Early Retirement Today

New Smartphone, Growing Pain Questions
Old 01-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New Smartphone, Growing Pain Questions

Why did you go to the darkside easysurfer and leave us? There are such few of us left now I am afraid we are going to be pictured and put in the same books with passenger pigeons and Dodo birds. I just got chewed out again today from my GF because I do not own one yet.

Edit....REWahoo... I don't know where your post went but you exposed me as a poor speller. I changed it after looking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Look at using swype for typing. It's a lot quicker than hunt and peck, and I'm pretty amazed at how often it is either correct or gives me the desired word as an alternate choice. On my droid phone it's an option setting under My Devices, then Language and Input. Settings get moved around release to release so it could be elsewhere for you.
+1
Old 01-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Thanks. I'll prob looking into a password manager app or maybe not make the password so complex that only a computer can understand .
After I bought my Nexus 6P, I realized how useful the fingerprint reader is. With Lastpass which recognizes fingerprints to login, you can store strong passwords. Even to get into Lastpass just use the fingerprint reader. Lastpass is $12/year for mobile use if you want syncing. Also you can store notes in Lastpass.

The alternate I use if fingerprint is not working for the phone login is the pattern. There are best practices in setting up a pattern (connecting the dots). Don't start a pattern at the edge dots and use maybe 6 dots for your pattern. Do a search and this info will probably come up.

Sometimes fingerprint reading fails if for instance, you have just washed your hands
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Why did you go to the darkside easysurfer and leave us? There are such few of us left now I am afraid we are going to be pictured and put in the same books with passenger pigeons and Dodo birds. I just got chewed out again today from my GF because I do not own one yet.

Edit....REWahoo... I don't know where your post went but you exposed me as a poor speller. I changed it after looking.

I really tried to not cross over to the darkside. Even to the point of first buying a SIMM card and use on my old flip phone. But that didn't work. Then I went to the store and either had a choice between a very functional but clunky looking flip phone or a sleek svelte lookng smartphone signaling, for a $40 more, have my fun the way I want. I got seduced and gave into temptation. The only bright side is if things don't work out, I could beg forgiveness and switch back to the loyal and reliable.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I really tried to not cross over to the darkside. Even to the point of first buying a SIMM card and use on my old flip phone. But that didn't work. Then I went to the store and either had a choice between a very functional but clunky looking flip phone or a sleek svelte lookng smartphone signaling, for a $40 more, have my fun the way I want. I got seduced and gave into temptation. The only bright side is if things don't work out, I could beg forgiveness and switch back to the loyal and reliable.

You are doing the right thing.... Pricing of plans and even certain phone models make financial reasons for not a moot point. The reason I don't is I cant see fine print without my readers. And I never have them with me outside the house. But I got my little keyboard letters memorized on dumb phone so I stick with it. You will do well!

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are doing the right thing.... Pricing of plans and even certain phone models make financial reasons for not a moot point. The reason I don't is I cant see fine print without my readers. And I never have them with me outside the house. But I got my little keyboard letters memorized on dumb phone so I stick with it. You will do well!

I always carry a pair of reading glasses with me. You can buy those ones on Amazon that go into a thin case. Easy to put in your pocket. And they are cheap too.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks for the encouragement. I was squinting terribly trying to ready the screen last night til I finally set the fonts larger. I'll still miss the simplicity of real buttons of a flip I'm sure.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, as smart phones are essentially, hand held computers. The method of always reentering login details begs the question though, to use a recommended long length, complex password or a human friendly one as the latter contains risks too.

My view is that a site with my financial details is one that I shy away from on my phone. If it is something I absolutely must do, I enter the password each time by consulting other storage.

I don't do Web logins on my phone. Just apps.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
My view is that a site with my financial details is one that I shy away from on my phone. If it is something I absolutely must do, I enter the password each time by consulting other storage.

I don't do Web logins on my phone. Just apps.
Honestly, I think my phone is probably more secure than my computer. The phone is encrypted by default. My computer hard drive is not.

Any device that connects to the internet and not sandboxed runs a risk of getting hacked. Individuals are just less likely to be targeted. Not when there's a lot more money in hacking into large firms and financial institutions where thieves can get sensitive information on millions of individuals all at once.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Honestly, I think my phone is probably more secure than my computer. The phone is encrypted by default. My computer hard drive is not.
Definitely true!

I started and stopped writing posts explaining this twice this evening - they got too long and technical.

Short summary: your phone (at least an iPhone) is very very secure. Much more secure than 99% of PCs our there. It's biometric ID system is very impressive. If you don't encrypt your hard disk on your PC, you are relying on physical security and frankly, that's not much really if someone really wants access.

If you are interested in some of the technical details take a look at: https://www.apple.com/business/docs/...rity_Guide.pdf

Modern phones are built to survive in a very hostile environment and are built to survive attack from all but the very best. I'd bet the NSA can get at it given time and desire, but not a run of the mill Russian eMobster.

One last word: your biggest vulnerability is always Social Engineering. Someone can trick you into turning over valuable information to them much ore easily than they can hack into an iPhone to get it.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Short summary: your phone (at least an iPhone) is very very secure. Much more secure than 99% of PCs our there. It's biometric ID system is very impressive. If you don't encrypt your hard disk on your PC, you are relying on physical security and frankly, that's not much really if someone really wants access.
Yup. Android starting with either Jelly Bean or KitKat is also encrypted by default. In fact, local law enforcement are petitioning Apple and Google to give them backdoor access because without the password/pin, a modern smartphone is effectively a brick to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
One last word: your biggest vulnerability is always Social Engineering. Someone can trick you into turning over valuable information to them much ore easily than they can hack into an iPhone to get it.
This is true.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:41 AM   #32

Quote:
So, for browsing websites that require id and passwords (like this site), what do you do? Do you somehow have passwords synced from computer and phone? Or do you have to enter the id/password individually onto the phone? Or use a password manager app on the phone?
The latter: LastPass just released 4.0, optimized for mobile.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I like lastpass too. It works on phone and importantly it allows share password with wife for shared accounts. It drove us nuts when one of us would have to reset the password and not tell the other.

jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:

LOL, I have a 75 yo friend who berates me for not having a smartphone and he is 9 years older than me. I keep telling him, I am paying a lot less for service, so lets end this discussion.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I understand the motivation behind those of you who don't want a smart phone. Learning something new can be a real PITA and if you are happy with what you have, why go to the trouble and expense of "upgrading"?

While I don't seek the latest and greatest smart phone, I do try to keep moving forward with newer technology. I find it interesting and enjoyable, plus the challenge of learning new things keeps me 'in the game' and gets far fewer eye rolls from my teen grandkids.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
LOL, I have a 75 yo friend who berates me for not having a smartphone and he is 9 years older than me. I keep telling him, I am paying a lot less for service, so lets end this discussion.
I have an older brother who's always says that I should get a smartphone. Now that I do, he'll be happy. That is, until when I tell him that when at home, the phone is off and reach me on my landline and leave a message on my answering machine . The mobile is for that, when I'm mobile out and about.

After about 48 hours in the darkside, I both really like the switch over and also miss the simplicity of just having a flip phone. With the smartphone, I mistakenly called a relative last night as he was sleeping as I was mistakenly pressed something when entering his info in my contact list. That wouldn't have happened with a simple phone.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have an older brother who's always says that I should get a smartphone. Now that I do, he'll be happy. That is, until when I tell him that when at home, the phone is off and reach me on my landline and leave a message on my answering machine . The mobile is for that, when I'm mobile out and about...........
I leave my smartphone in the car except when I'm hiking. Since I dropped the landline, I have this bluetooth adapter that connects the smartphone to my landline phones when the car is in the garage. No landline expenses, yet a phone in every room. As I recall it was $10 when I bought it. Amazon.com: Cobra BT215A Phonelynx for Android: Car Electronics
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I leave my smartphone in the car except when I'm hiking. Since I dropped the landline, I have this bluetooth adapter that connects the smartphone to my landline phones when the car is in the garage. No landline expenses, yet a phone in every room. As I recall it was $10 when I bought it. Amazon.com: Cobra BT215A Phonelynx for Android: Car Electronics
Does it work well? I have an XLink BTTN that does the same thing, but when I answer the phone, it takes about 2-3 seconds to actually connect, so if I say "Hello?" right away, the other person doesn't hear me. Also, the sound isn't always great and we can't always hear each other well. But I've trained myself to count to 3 before talking, and if it's more than a quick call I go to my cell phone and use it. The XLink does have a higher rating on Amazon than yours though.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Does it work well? I have an XLink BTTN that does the same thing, but when I answer the phone, it takes about 2-3 seconds to actually connect, so if I say "Hello?" right away, the other person doesn't hear me. Also, the sound isn't always great and we can't always hear each other well. But I've trained myself to count to 3 before talking, and if it's more than a quick call I go to my cell phone and use it. The XLink does have a higher rating on Amazon than yours though.
My experience is the same. If it is an important call, I hang up and call them back directly from my smartphone. But it is adequate, especially for the ten bucks I paid.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... With the smartphone, I mistakenly called a relative last night as he was sleeping as I was mistakenly pressed something when entering his info in my contact list. That wouldn't have happened with a simple phone.
Don't feel bad, I was trying to clean up DW's contact list after I loaded her contacts from the SIM of her previous phone, and several times I thought I was just viewing the contact, and all the sudden it's dialing them! Quick, how do I 'hang up'?!!!

Some of this stuff isn't as obvious as it should be, but probably handy once you get used to it. In this case, I think maybe the 'favorites' or 'recent' contacts in the list I was looking at act more like 'speed dial' - just touch them and away you go. think that if I was in the normal list, touching it would have just bought up the details. I'd have to try again to see.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote