New Smartphone, Growing Pain Questions

Of course people are moving to the new technology but it is not yet the case that "most calls take place between smartphones".

I could see it taking less than thirty years, but probably not less than ten years.

Well lets see.

Less than half of households even have landlines any more

Only About 40 Percent of US Households Still Have Landlines | Digital Trends

Roughly 2/3rds of American adults own a smart phone

6 facts about Americans and their smartphones | Pew Research Center

Wow. The metric is changing so fast that I cannot keep up. I like relying on the CDC data for it. Their 2013 survey shows that the number of homes with landlines was still over 50%. I just found an update six months later showing that same metric dropped 6%. That's incredible.

However, those numbers only consider households. It doesn't factor in businesses. I cannot believe that businesses will be moving wholesale to smartphones for their employees, so I think that it will still be a long time before "most calls take place between smartphones".

In a similar vein:

For the First Time, More Are Mobile-Banking Than Going to a Branch - MoneyBeat - WSJ

Last year, roughly 30% of adults in the U.S. used a mobile banking service weekly, while just 24% availed themselves of a physical branch service as often, Javelin’s survey of 3,100 people found. That’s the first time in the history of the survey that mobile users (and that means just smartphones and tablets, not via desktop computers) outpaced branch users, Javelin said.

I do the vast majority of banking online, though I do visit a branch to use a safe deposit box (I keep my offsite backup disk there).

Back
Top Bottom