New Toy from Home Depot

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a driveway that is 300 yards long , lots of rough ground . A house a small home for friends a small shed and my barn . Now my problem is mowing is not bad but when I get the string trimmer out it works me over .
So I was looking for an easy answer I found a rolling string trimmer . HD advertises one for 239.00 so off to HD we went . Our HD did not have that one so bummer . They had a Cub Cadet for 349.00 . I told the dept. mgr. if they would sell the Cub CADET for 239.00 I would buy it now . Of course he said sure . Loaded me up then off to the register Uh Oh it rang up for 349.00 . So after some talk he admitted he messed up but did knock 50.00 off so for 300.00 I got my Cub Cadet . Took it home assembled and put it to work . The machine is a beast , all of a sudden I am taking small trees down . Compared to the regular string trimmer this is so easy

I love new toys from Home Depot. Or Lowes. Or just about anywhere, but Home Depot especially likes me because I've been buying lots of Milwaukee battery powered tools from them in the past year or so. And HD's prices are usually better than or equal to anywhere else I can find.

My most recent new toy was a Milwaukee battery powered caulking gun, a purchase I would have sneered at a few years ago. Arthritis in my right hand radically changed my mind, now it's wonderful to not have pain when doing a simple home maintenance task.

Attachments

• milwaukee-caulk-guns-2441-20-64_1000.jpg
    milwaukee-caulk-guns-2441-20-64_1000.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 40
^^^ I was hoping you had found a non lethal slingshot replacement to rid my neighborhood wildlife that treats my yard like a Country-style buffet!

The Depot rocks! I hate Lowes because they killed OSH. May they rot.

Home Depot Tip:
If you are in an area where a Menards exists, wait until Menards has an 11% off sale. Then go to Home depot and make a purchase.

Once you have your receipt, go to their 11% rebate site and get a gift card for the 11% amount.

https://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/

If you are a military person with an ID, you gate 10% off at the register, and an additional 11% back through the mail. It's about 20% off.

Menards Tip:
If Menards begins an 11% off sale, you can go to the Customer Service desk and get their 11% price match rebate. You get 11% off for all purchases you made in the previous two weeks.

Last edited:
A couple years ago I splurged on a Stihl brush cutter, one of those magnum sized weed trimmers that can handle a circular blade and attaches to a shoulder harness. I trim brush back on a two mile stretch of the private road that we live on and I use it a lot. It takes small saplings like nothing, put the weed trimmer attachment on and it's great on weeds & grass over the rocky terrain.

We live 50 miles from the nearest box store so I bought it at a local small engine shop. I'm sure I paid 10% more, but when I buy anything with an engine I take service & repair into consideration.

I’ve never seen a rolling string trimmer, didn’t know they existed. Our lot is small so I don’t need one, but I can see how it would be very useful for some homeowners. I’m surprised I haven’t seen landscape care companies using them for commercial sites.

Borrowed SIL's Ryobi cordless hedge trimmer a couple days ago. You can rotate it to 45 and 90 degrees. It was awesome. I can't wait for Santa to come.

That would make things easier on my 10 acres with lots of fencing, a big house, two big barns, and a corn crib.

I haven't used a string trimmer, or even a push mower for years, I do all of my trimming with RoundUp about 3 times a year.

I’ve never seen a rolling string trimmer, didn’t know they existed. Our lot is small so I don’t need one, but I can see how it would be very useful for some homeowners. I’m surprised I haven’t seen landscape care companies using them for commercial sites.

They are pretty common in rural areas of Arizona, need something to chop the weeds down during the monsoon season, regular mowers don't work well cutting high weeds or in a yard full of rocks.

I understand being bitter about OSH closing. I've lost two local hardware stores recently. One catered to a very unique customer base, and will be impossible to replace.

Still, I don't blame the owners. Reading the article, it appears Sears originally chewed up and spit out OSH. I suspect the handwriting was on the wall at that point. As the article said, it was "crushed by hundreds of millions of dollars of debt it was saddled with as part of the spin-off."

It seems Lowe's saw a possible opportunity to expand and bought them out of bankruptcy, and even opened some new stores, but clearly that didn't work out, either.

So if you have to blame someone, blame Sears. Or whoever was in charge of OSH when it was sold to Sears.

One interesting tidbit. The article mentioned "...contractor-focused big-box retailers Lowe’s and Home Depot."

Do you think they're contractor-focused? A lot of contractors I know go elsewhere for major purchases of materials. Maybe they'll buy odds and ends there, but overall they seem to bad-mouth both places a lot.

And look at what they sell. Heavy on "designer" items and homeowner-grade tools. Not the sort of stuff most contractors go for.

I think both big-box stores are fine. Lowe's won out for me when they started offering a flat 5% back on purchases using their card, and both switched their military discounts to active-duty only. Prices at both places track pretty closely. I do like the way HD e-mails just a normal receipt. Lowe's e-mails a big advertisement with the receipt embedded in it. So I need to use old-school paper receipts at Lowe's.

I think both big-box stores are fine. Lowe's won out for me when they started offering a flat 5% back on purchases using their card, and both switched their military discounts to active-duty only. Prices at both places track pretty closely. I do like the way HD e-mails just a normal receipt. Lowe's e-mails a big advertisement with the receipt embedded in it. So I need to use old-school paper receipts at Lowe's.

Both my father and a close friend of mine get 10% showing either their DD214 or Veteran status on DL :)

this summer I bought a ryobi brush cutter from HD and put an 8" circular saw blade on it

talk about a toy! that thing takes down anything

the only downside is that the blade gets dull quickly

Back
Top Bottom