New York City Vacation help

gcgang

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm thinking of vacationing in NYC for a week or so this summer with DW and 14 yr old daughter. Just there to do normal tourist stuff, and perhaps tour the campus' of some of the colleges, as my daughter thinks she'd like to go there. Any suggestions where to stay?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I had a w*rking vacation in NYC about 5 years ago - we stayed in an apartment on the UWS we rented on VRBO.com - make sure you're sitting down when you check how much it costs - thankfully I expensed over half of it

perfect location though and close to everything - I ended up walking to w*rk took about 40 minutes (40 blocks)

Last edited:
Lots of free things in NYC
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/thin...tractions-in-new-york-city?package_page=35793

And on any given week there are lots of free events and free days at certain museums and attractions. That same website has them catalogued on a regular basis.

Also consider getting weeklong passes for the Subway/bus, the usual fare is $2.75 per ride, so the pass pays for itself after 12 rides. The freedom of jumping on a bus or subway whenever is great. (I remember I even made a special quick stop at 72/Broadway to run up to get a hot dog at the Gray's Papaya hot dog place there and then got back on the subway to my destination. You would never do that paying one fare at a time).

7-Day Unlimited Pass
Cost: $31, reduced fare $15.50
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from day of first use.
Note: PATH, AirTrain, and Express buses do not accept 7- and 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

we were there a week and never took the subway - we walked everywhere

There is so much to do in NYC that I suggest picking a few priorities and enjoy them without rushing from place to place trying to see a little of everything. Once you pick the priorities, take some time to explore places nearby on foot - definitely you get a different feel for the city that way. Unless your visit is in a very compact area of one borough, I would recommend planning to use the subway.

There is so much to do in NYC that I suggest picking a few priorities and enjoy them without rushing from place to place trying to see a little of everything. Once you pick the priorities, take some time to explore places nearby on foot - definitely you get a different feel for the city that way. Unless your visit is in a very compact area of one borough, I would recommend planning to use the subway.

Perfect advice.
I was born and raised in NYC, and apart from the occasional subway ride (avoid rush hours), walking is by far the best way to get around. Hidden treasures everywhere.

Last time I was there I stayed in an AirBnB place in Jersey City. Great and cheap. Fun to take the water taxi across the Hudson with views of the skyline and Statue. There are trains as well.

I have always enjoyed biking around Central Park. You can rent them there. Might be something to do with your daughter if she enjoys cycling.

Last visit, we spent the whole time in Brooklyn--off Vanderbilt Ave. in a brownstone. It was great, and the rental price wasn't too bad. Too bad the city's going after AirBnB to get out of town.

Daughter wants to go to college there? Better plan on working a few more years. There are no reasonably priced institutions of higher learning in the area. Our Southern universities are full of New Yorkers paying out of very expensive out of state tuition because it's so much cheaper than their staying home for college.

I've been out of NYC for so long that I don't really know much anymore, but when we went back there for a wedding a couple of years ago I found a nice little boutique hotel in Brooklyn that wasn't too expensive. I would recommend it if you're casting about for traditional hotels to stay at. Nice, traditional Brooklyn neighborhood. Short walk to a subway station to get into Manhattan.

Hotel Le Jolie (Brooklyn, NY) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Back
Top Bottom