Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #981
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I would have voted for Denver until I saw that Cards blowout. Now my money is on those guys who whipped Seahawks.
A few weeks ago, I was ready to crown the Cardinals. But they really struggled down the stretch. I don't know was that because of Palmer's finger still hurt or that he has the playoffs jitters like some other QBs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #982
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well they say Peyton told Belichick, after beating his team Sunday, that "This might be my last rodeo".

Again, I think he will retire if he wins the SB, if not, I'm not so sure.

Those "Broncos" take their namesake seriously, calling a football game a "rodeo".

Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #983
Give me a forum ...

Johnny Manziel, what a waste . Just saying.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #984
Give me a forum ...

Self inflicted alienation of the whole NFL. What a dweeb. He'll probably be bagging groceries in a few years.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #985
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Self inflicted alienation of the whole NFL. What a dweeb. He'll probably be bagging groceries in a few years.
You are far more optimistic about his future than his dad:

Quote:
"I truly believe if they can't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday," Paul Manziel told The Dallas Morning News.
Dallas Cowboys: Johnny Manziel's father: QB twice refused to enter rehab facilities in the last week | SportsDay

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #986
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I saw that. Sad, even sadder it happens all the time. We hear about Johnny's problems but there's a bunch of families that play the same drama out every day. I'm pretty sure dad cares more about Johnny's future than his football potential.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #987
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1. Sad thing is he has football talent but way too immature.

Ryan Leaf (one of the biggest busts in NFL history) says looking at Manziel is like looking at a mirror during his own troubled stages.

Quote:

As he watches Johnny Manziel go through some of the same issues that cost him his NFL career, Ryan Leaf reached out to the quarterback's former agent to offer help.

Leaf, whom the San Diego Chargers picked second overall -- one spot behind Peyton Manning -- in the 1998 draft, was out of the league after the 2002 season, which included three starts for the Dallas Cowboys in 2001.
Ryan Leaf on Johnny Manziel: It's like a mirror - Dallas Cowboys Blog- ESPN
Old 02-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #988
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If he is not spending money like crazy (which he probably is spending like crazy) he could not work for the rest of his life and be OK... read where he got $8.5 mill signing bonus... could be wrong, but what I read...
Old 02-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #989

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Johnny Manziel, what a waste . Just saying.
"Johnny Football" as he was often called while playing at Texas A&M. He later became known as "Johnny the Jerk" by many in Texas that followed his career. Well earned title apparently and not the typical product of A&M.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #990

Manziel suffers from affluenza, just like Ethan Couch, if anyone can buy that argument. Sure glad the Cowboys have stated they will not pursue him. I'll always opt for players of strong character over the likes of him.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #991
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Manziel suffers from affluenza, just like Ethan Couch, if anyone can buy that argument. Sure glad the Cowboys have stated they will not pursue him. I'll always opt for players of strong character over the likes of him.
I know when Tony Dungy was coaching the Colts, they had a term for folks like Manziel. I forget when exactly, but something like "Do not Pursue because of Character".
Old 02-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I'll probably go all in on the SB, with my winnings. Go Broncos.
It's Monday, I'm retired, the weather is great, the coffee is brewing and the Broncos won.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #993

I'm kind of surprised not seeing any comments on Denver's defense dominating Carolina, New England, and Pittsburgh in the playoffs even with a mediocre offense. Kind of like Denver's record setting offense was dominated by Seattle's very strong defense in SB48. I wonder if there will be a shift in strategy across the NFL.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #994

"I truly believe if they can't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday," Paul Manziel told The Dallas Morning News.

I did not read the article, but.....Hey Dad! What about YOU getting help for your son instead of hoping "they" do.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm kind of surprised not seeing any comments on Denver's defense dominating Carolina, New England, and Pittsburgh in the playoffs even with a mediocre offense. Kind of like Denver's record setting offense was dominated by Seattle's very strong defense in SB48. I wonder if there will be a shift in strategy across the NFL.
Defense has always dominated in the playoffs. The number #1 ranked defense has played in the SB 12 times and they are 10-2. Nothing changed during all those years and it wont now. Having a smothering defense isn't as easy as saying, lets have a smothering defense this year.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #996
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Football is a copycat league so there may be a shift in strategy.

That said, looking at the post game coverage and you can see where the sentiment was: Talk to Peyton, give trophy to Elway, present trophy to Miller as MVP, nudge Miller out of way to talk to Peyton again.

Give it a couple of years, and the NFL highlight will show as if Peyton's offense won the Super Bowl .

That was a very good defensive battle on both sides. Had the ball bounced differently a few times (oh, and if Newton actually tried moving around. After that big hit he received -- which I thought was legal and he wasn't down, he pretty much stopped running), the game couldn't been different.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #997

As many of us have speculated. Peyton is retiring. No more OMY for him.

Peyton Manning to announce retirement Monday
Old 03-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #998
Give me a forum ...

Good for him.... I have always liked and respected Payton as a competitor and am pleased that he was able to go out in style.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #999
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
As many of us have speculated. Peyton is retiring. No more OMY for him.

Peyton Manning to announce retirement Monday

This is a case of retiring not early but at the right time. The sheriff riding off in the sunset, on top, like the classic westerns. Congrats to him.

Hopefully, no Favre, Magic or Jordan type comebacks .
Old 03-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #1000

He was one of my favorites. Sorry to see him go but, it's time and I'm happy for him.