Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Police estimate 700,000 people in downtown Seattle for the parade and festivities. Not bad for a city with a population a little above 500,000. Let's hope our own HA makes it home alive.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #282
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Most watched and likely one of the worst super bowls ever to watch (unless of course you are a Hawks fan). But if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt, it stunk.
Yes, I am replying to a relatively 'old" post about SB48, but here in Seattle we 12s are still rejoicing two weeks after. (Doesn't hurt that the NFL TV Network has been featuring Seahawk team members the past couple of weeks.)

But I just needed to respond to the post that this SB 'stunk"--even "if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt." It represents the sentiment I have seen on TV/the Internet the past two weeks, with so many saying the same thing: that this was a 'horrible game,' even if you otherwise enjoy football.

What the?

It was ballyhooed as the greatest offensive team in NFL history against a good defensive team. If you are truly a lover of a football game well-played, then why didn't you enjoy this game? A team played this game to near-perfection, offensively, defensively, and via special teams: the Seattle Seahawks! It was a thing of beauty!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #283
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
But I just needed to respond to the post that this SB 'stunk"--even "if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt." It represents the sentiment I have seen on TV/Internet by so many saying the same thing: that this was a 'horrible game,' even if you otherwise enjoy football.

What the?
People like sports for the drama. no drama, no fun. don't take it personal.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
People like sports for the drama. no drama, no fun. don't take it personal.
This. The fact that the game was a clunker has nothing to do with who won and there's no reason to interpret it as disappointment about who won. While you like to see good plays on both sides of the ball, most folks with "no dog in the hunt" would prefer to see a more competitive game.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #285
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
As a long time Seahawks fan, I agree. Sure the defense played perfectly. But I was disappointed in the Broncos not making it exciting. Also how did the odds makers get it so wrong?

I won the pool based on total points by quarter twice. So it was not a total loss.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #286
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was honestly shocked at how little zip Peyton Manning was getting on his downfield passes. It's not fair to judge a HOF career based on a single game against a top-notch defense, but it had me wondering just how many years Manning has left. If he loses any more velocity, even average defenses are going to play tight coverage and dare him to beat them with the long throws.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #287
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
As a long time Seahawks fan, I agree. Sure the defense played perfectly. But I was disappointed in the Broncos not making it exciting. Also how did the odds makers get it so wrong?

I won the pool based on total points by quarter twice. So it was not a total loss.

I do not think the oddsmakers got it wrong or at least not in their mind. Actually the Vegas Books cashed big time on Super Bowl. They typically try to balance action and just take the 10% vig. But this time after the initial line jump, they held at Denver minus 3/2.5 despite big money continuing to flow to Denver. If memory serves me they collected over 20 million off a near 100 million handle.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I do not think the oddsmakers got it wrong or at least not in their mind. Actually the Vegas Books cashed big time on Super Bowl. They typically try to balance action and just take the 10% vig.
Good point. In reality, if the sports books have a vested financial interest in the outcome of the game, then they failed to keep the book "balanced" so they would have virtually no risk and could pocket their 10%.

Ideally if $2 million came in, they'd keep a $1 million overall payout on either side of the wager and pocket $200,000 with no risk. Of course it's not usually that exact, but it's usually close enough that the house can't "lose". They may make a little more or a little less than their 10% of the action, but rarely is it so lopsided that they could lose money overall.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
It was a thing of beauty!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #289
Dryer sheet aficionado

It was a thing of beauty!

Quote:
Yes, I am replying to a relatively 'old" post about SB48, but here in Seattle we 12s are still rejoicing two weeks after. (Doesn't hurt that the NFL TV Network has been featuring Seahawk team members the past couple of weeks.)

But I just needed to respond to the post that this SB 'stunk"--even "if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt." It represents the sentiment I have seen on TV/the Internet the past two weeks, with so many saying the same thing: that this was a 'horrible game,' even if you otherwise enjoy football.

What the?

It was ballyhooed as the greatest offensive team in NFL history against a good defensive team. If you are truly a lover of a football game well-played, then why didn't you enjoy this game? A team played this game to near-perfection, offensively, defensively, and via special teams: the Seattle Seahawks! It was a thing of beauty!

Great post, It was a thing of beauty!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #290

Quote:

What the?

LOL, I understand your exhuberance, however, you need to get over your local team bias and not get so spun up over a post that probably represented the feeling of most football purists. Totally one sided games become uninteresting very quickly.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #291
Give me a forum ...

Yes, one sided games do get boring quickly. And we can blame the latest SuperBore on Denver. On their very first play they scored for the opposing team! What is that about? And, then in the 2nd half when they desperately need to put points on the board early and keep the Seahawks from scoring anymore, they give up a kick-off touchdown! Did they think this was a friendly scrimmage with the local community college team?
As the Denver paper said: SEASICK!

OTOH, that band of coffee slurping, salmon smoking, nerdy lumberjacks didn't do half bad.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #292
Dryer sheet aficionado

Chuckanut you have the bigger view for sure, history. DFW we agree a good game is intersting and tense. Watching history is great as well. That was a once in alife time event in many ways.
Seattle is still a buzz and willl be for sometime, good for them they deserve it.
I watched the Sound FX 2Xs amzing game. On any given day as they say.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #293

I just saw a news item about Da Bears training camp. Boy, summers blow by!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #294

Now that I' m retired and I live 10 minutes from the Patriots training facility at Gillette stadium I've been to a couple of practices. The defense looks pretty good with the addition of Revis and Browner and if Gronk stays healthy (a big if) they should hopefully contend for the superbowl.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #295

I lived in Boston when it was called Schaefer Stadium. How is the quarterback situation looking?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I lived in Boston when it was called Schaefer Stadium. How is the quarterback situation looking?
Brady is the man for the next couple of years anyways and he looks in great shape but I 'm not sure about the backup situation both Mallet and the new rookie they drafted are not ready for primetime. I hope Brady stays healthy or they're in big trouble.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #297
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I just saw a news item about Da Bears training camp. Boy, summers blow by!

Well tell they are looking primed and ready to go as I got $1200 on them to go at least 9-7 this year (8-8, I get my money back).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk