Night workers

I'm an unhappy "blue collar dude". I almost passed out from exhaustion at my new job on friday. I used to work straight nights but now I rotate every week. I hope I adjust well because i'm going to need lots of rest.

I hear ya aaron.......

I've worked afternoon shift, midnight shift and rotating shifts. By far, rotating shifts were the toughest.

Midnight shift was tough because I don't sleep well during the day. Afternoon shift was fine because I'd be home by 1:00 AM and asleep by 3:00 AM so I was still predominantly sleeping at night.

Rotating shifts were a bummer because I could never get adjusted to the shift I was working until it was time to rotate to the new schedule.

Aaron,

Is the work very much different from your old job? After almost a year without work, could your standing/bending muscles have gotten a bit soft?

Husband often reminisces about the warehouse job he had, after high school, and before deciding to head for college. He was only 19 but thought he was going to die from exhaustion (hauling/loading heavy cases of glass windows and linoleum rolls) for about 2 weeks. After that, his muscles hardened up, and he stayed on for almost a year until he got into college at age 20.

Realize you are no longer 20, but the same "hardening up" process might be going on with you.

P.S. Husband is 6 feet 2.5", which was considered very tall for his time.

Amethyst

I'm an unhappy "blue collar dude". I almost passed out from exhaustion at my new job on friday. I used to work straight nights but now I rotate every week. I hope I adjust well because i'm going to need lots of rest.

Anyone know of a desk job that doesn't require a collge degree?

Haven't worked for years but when I did I rotated shifts every nine days. Schedule went as follows: Six 6am-2pm shifts three days off, six 2pm-10pm shifts three days off, six 10pm-6am shifts three days off. Wasn't too bad except for the fact that the eight hr shifts were more like 10-13 hrs a shift and on the three days off I usually worked one of them. Sometimes by choice, other times not my choice.
I feel for true night shift workers though, sleeping is usually an issue from what I remember.

I worked swing shift for the better part of 25 years. During the last five years I was a shift manager at a chemical plant working 12 hr. night and day shifts. The older I got the harder the night shift got to the point where I had to say uncle, enough, it ain't worth it no matter what the pay was. I retired at 54 and have had no regrets whatsoever, except that I didn't take a package and do it earlier. Working shift work, I was always tired and felt like a zombie most of the time.

I have worked rotating shifts most of my life until the past couple of years. It takes about 2 years for your body to become acclimated to working rotating shifts. Some people cannot ever get accustomed to doing it. I have seen people go to school for years majoring in a particular field, and when they graduate and get out in the real world...can't do the job because it involves shift work.

Since I have been off the rotating shifts...I now have more energy, alertness, less headaches, and much better quality of life, as well as a social life. It's like being re-born again. It's like a black and white world and now suddenly you can see colors. When you are caught up in the world of shift work...you don't realize what you are missing.

I keep seeing more and more articles like this:
Night Shift Work Hard on the Heart - - Health.com

No one put a gun to my head and forced me to do it. It was my job and that's what I trained to do. Working the shift work that I did...paid well and I did not have to put up with the day weenies, (shift worker term for a normal scheduled worker). I laugh at the piddly things the day weenies complain about around here. They don't have a clue. What? Me?...Work a Saturday evening? I can't do it!

However...It also drove me into high gear to invest and save...because I didn't want to have to keep living that way any longer than I could bear. I could not see myself working rotating shifts past my mid 50s or longer and not having a choice. That what does not kill you makes you stronger?

And so...I will soon be re-born once more in 1 year 4 months. And I swear...I will never work another job again. And that's my story on shift work.

Last edited:
Since I have been off the rotating shifts...I now have more energy, alertness, less headaches, and much better quality of life, as well as a social life. It's like being re-born again. It's like a black and white world and now suddenly you can see colors. ....I did not have to put up with the day weenies, (shift worker term for a normal scheduled worker). .

Trick trash versus day ladies. Brings back memories.

Amethyst

Since I have been off the rotating shifts...I now have more energy, alertness, less headaches, and much better quality of life, as well as a social life. It's like being re-born again. It's like a black and white world and now suddenly you can see colors. When you are caught up in the world of shift work...you don't realize what you are missing.

Been there. I worked weekly rotating shift work for 18 years and it wasn't until I transferred to a straight day-work position that I realized how physically exhausting that is.

Never again!

While the job I have now is a with 24/7 organization I just work 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM which is fine with me. Some people like starting early days and get off mid-afternoon, and some like working midnight shifts and they are accommodating about that. But if they ever start that rotating shift work stuff I'm outa there!

During one part of my "career :angel: ", I wor*ked a normal dayshift, but every other week, I was "required" to fill in for 3rd shift on a Friday night/Saturday moring.

I would w*rk Friday 7-4, go home and try to get some sleep (often no sleep involved), and returned at 11pm for the 11-7 shift.

In actual hours, I spent more than 24 hours awake, two of the four Fridays of the month.

While the money was good for that Friday/Saturday gig (1.5 & 10% night shift premium), my home life suffered.

It suc*ed, but than again, I was there for the $$$, not the "career goal", as some others have posted.

Anyone know of a desk job that doesn't require a collge degree?

Aaron, Best of luck finding a good shift, or adjusting. The office folks where I work do not have college degrees. They are all "daywalkers" (9 to 5 ers) . Some actually work, some just surf the internet and gossip about coworkers. They seem unstressed (except one guy) and pretty happy. But would you want to work at a desk in an office environment:confused::confused:? JG3

Aaron, Best of luck finding a good shift, or adjusting. The office folks where I work do not have college degrees. They are all "daywalkers" (9 to 5 ers) . Some actually work, some just surf the internet and gossip about coworkers. They seem unstressed (except one guy) and pretty happy. But would you want to work at a desk in an office environment:confused::confused:?

I can't say for sure since all i've ever done is hard manual labor but it sure seems like working at a desk in an office would be a whole lot better. I guess it would depend on what i'm doing and how stressful it is.

On friday I lifted approx. 20,000 lbs of cardboard cases in a hot factory while walking the equivelant of several miles in an 8 hour shift. How could an office job not be better than that?

I can't say for sure since all i've ever done is hard manual labor but it sure seems like working at a desk in an office would be a whole lot better. I guess it would depend on what i'm doing and how stressful it is.

On friday I lifted approx. 20,000 lbs of cardboard cases in a hot factory while walking the equivelant of several miles in an 8 hour shift. How could an office job not be better than that?

Well.... I guess there are awful jobs of all sorts to be had.

Could you handle being a truck driver? A lot of folks love it. No immediate boss. Decent income. $45,000 is the average annual salary, for tractor trailer driver. And many truck drivers never have to lift any freight. Just drive.

I notice you have an 8 hour shift. To me that seems like a luxury. Do you work 5 days a week with weekends off? Another luxury. I hear you about the hot conditions and the hard labor. You risk injury too. But working in an office could be worse. You'd just have to try it, I guess. Somewhere there probably is an office job you would like, but how to find it:confused:

For me, I like having zero coworkers and bosses around me. I became a truck driver to achieve that. I took a cut in pay, compared to computer programming, my previous job, but that's OK. Temp agencies usually have openings for white collar clerical stuff. You could possibly try it for 6 months just to see how it is. How about working on a road paving crew? Still blue collar, but no heavy lifting. Security guard?

JG3

Last edited:
Well.... I guess there are awful jobs of all sorts to be had.

Could you handle being a truck driver? A lot of folks love it. No immediate boss. Decent income. $45,000 is the average annual salary, for tractor trailer driver. And many truck drivers never have to lift any freight. Just drive.

I notice you have an 8 hour shift. To me that seems like a luxury. Do you work 5 days a week with weekends off? Another luxury. I hear you about the hot conditions and the hard labor. You risk injury too. But working in an office could be worse. You'd just have to try it, I guess. Somewhere there probably is an office job you would like, but how to find it:confused:

For me, I like having zero coworkers and bosses around me. I became a truck driver to achieve that. I took a cut in pay, compared to computer programming, my previous job, but that's OK. Temp agencies usually have openings for white collar clerical stuff. You could possibly try it for 6 months just to see how it is. How about working on a road paving crew? Still blue collar, but no heavy lifting. Security guard?

JG3

The standard shift is M-F rotating 3rd,2nd,1st with weekends off. However, they can tell you at anytime of any shift that you need to work 12 hours instead of 8. Also they have weekend overtime that is mandatory if you're scheduled. Could be 8 or 12 hours and could be any shift. You find out thursday afternoon what you work that weekend so not much notice. Hard to plan anything in advance.

I've considered truck driving. There are a few things that have held me back. When I owned a manual transmission vehicle I got a sore left knee if in heavy traffic. I'm assuming it'll only be worse with a semi. When I drove from Wisconsin to Florida without stopping to sleep I got a very sore lower back. Also probably not good if i'm going to be driving a truck for 10 hours per day. Another thing is i'm reluctant to fork over several thousand upfront for training when I don't know if I can do the job. The other thing is that I hate driving on the highway in winter. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of options as a truck driver to wait out a storm. You have a place you need to be and not much time to get there.

Last edited:
He had also seen a talk-show host claiming that one out of every three stay-at-home wives would have an adulterous affair while their husbands were at work on the day shift. My friend always wanted to do more research on the subject, but he said he never got any further than the third house...

<rimshot>

I did all my 2nd and 3rd shift work before I was married, meaning when I was still young. My father worked 3rd shift for 30+ years in the PO, and looking back, it took its toll in his later years. Me, in my early twenties I could work all night, get out at 7AM, go to the beach for a couple-mile run followed by an x-large coffee and 2 jelly donuts, go home and fall right to sleep. A 20 year old body is a resilient thing!

Mostly it was men doing shiftwork in my business, back in the day. And anyone who tried to call me a "girl" got retrained on the spot.

Amethyst

You girls were rough.

Ha

The standard shift is M-F rotating 3rd,2nd,1st with weekends off. However, they can tell you at anytime of any shift that you need to work 12 hours instead of 8. Also they have weekend overtime that is mandatory if you're scheduled. Could be 8 or 12 hours and could be any shift. You find out thursday afternoon what you work that weekend so not much notice. Hard to plan anything in advance.

I've considered truck driving. There are a few things that have held me back. When I owned a manual transmission vehicle I got a sore left knee if in heavy traffic. I'm assuming it'll only be worse with a semi. When I drove from Wisconsin to Florida without stopping to sleep I got a very sore lower back. Also probably not good if i'm going to be driving a truck for 10 hours per day. Another thing is i'm reluctant to fork over several thousand upfront for training when I don't know if I can do the job. The other thing is that I hate driving on the highway in winter. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of options as a truck driver to wait out a storm. You have a place you need to be and not much time to get there.

Your schedule would be horrible for me. My schedule as a truck driver is better, believe it or not. Because it is generally the same every day, since I drive "local".

You might stilll consider trucking. The sore knee thing. I had that during my training because they make you use the clutch. In reality, truckers only use the clutch for first gear, usually, then shift without it, by matching engine rpm and gear, etc. My sore knee went away after I stopped using the clutch so much.

The sore back thing. I have had a sore back once in a while, but it goes away. 99 percent of the time, no sore back. I do have a sore neck currently, but I'm using a neck roll thing which is helping.

I do not have to load or unload anything. :cool:

About the huge ripoff of truck driving school. Yes, it is way overpriced. I was able tio get my CDL for free, since I was on unemployment, and there was a state program which paid for it!! :)

About winter driving. The dispatchers want you to just drive through the storm, but if you say it's too dangerous, they will let you get a hotel, and they will pay for it. It sets your schedule back, and you make less money for the week, possibly, but you don't have to risk your life and others.

I actually had had a longstanding desire to be a truck driver. You may not. I like the independence, and the concept of actually completing your task every minute you are driving, as opposed to worrying in an office about how some other person is going to ruin your work efforts (change what you do, when it is due, how you do it, etc)

I must admit I was a complete Zombie for about the whole first year and a half, due to the schedule, which used to be 5 pm to 5 am. Going to sleep after the sun came up was a real killer. And I must admit, unfortunately, that I have aged about 10 years in the 6 years I have been driving.

My excuse for continuing is that my current schedule lets me get to sleep around 2 am to 3 am, so I can get some night sleep in, which is much easier on the body, I find. Aging less quickly now, I hope.

I was lucky too get a local job right out of trucking school. There are lots of poor bas##rds who are working over the road, aren't home much, and are only making $35,000 per year !!

You might want to get trained to operate heavy machinery, as another poster mentioned. Backhoe, bulldozer, etc. Daytime hours, and big bucks, from what I hear.

JG3

When I owned a manual transmission vehicle I got a sore left knee if in heavy traffic. I'm assuming it'll only be worse with a semi.
You seem to have plenty of reasons to not like truck driving, but manual trannies are likely not one of the reasons. Many big trucks now are automatic trans. Just listen to one as it leaves a light.

Ha

Last edited:
I work 2nd shift now. Been at my comapny for 33 yrs and out of that I've only worked days 4 yrs. Worked 3rd for about 17 and now 12 yrs on 2nd. I use to love 3rd shift but last year they asked me if I want it and after thinking about it I decided, I'm not young anymore and I've adjusted and am use to 2nd and if 3rd didn't agree with me now I'd be stuck as I know they wouldn't let me go back.

We only have an intranet, can only go on companies website but I bring my own tablet to work and do a little surfing when I'm waiting for parts to inspect.

Aaron I also drive a truck and John is correct... Once you learn to drive you only use the clutch when you start and stop.

Also you don't have to pay for training. Of you go to one of the big over the road companies they will pay you to train and get your cdl.

I started out that way with Prime. The deal is you don't pay for the training, but you commit to work with them for a year. If you leave early, then supposedly you owe them for the training. I only made it 6 months because over the road trucking was miserable for me. I never had to pay them any money though.

Lots of people go this route to get some experience then find a local job. There are some good jobs to be had. With 3 years of driving experience you could get a job with my company. You would make no less than $60k to start, get 2 weeks of vacation, a total of 7 more paid off days, insurance the day you start, and more.

I also agree with John that it's great to have no boss over your shoulder. You are given a task at the start of the day and as long as it gets do e safely I never hear a word from anyone.

I started out that way with Prime. The deal is you don't pay for the training, but you commit to work with them for a year. If you leave early, then supposedly you owe them for the training. I only made it 6 months because over the road trucking was miserable for me. I never had to pay them any money though.

Lots of people go this route to get some experience then find a local job. There are some good jobs to be had. With 3 years of driving experience you could get a job with my company. You would make no less than $60k to start, get 2 weeks of vacation, a total of 7 more paid off days, insurance the day you start, and more.

I also agree with John that it's great to have no boss over your shoulder. You are given a task at the start of the day and as long as it gets do e safely I never hear a word from anyone.

If I was going to try to be a truck driver i'd probably go with Schnieder because I know they'll cover my trainging costs if I stay with them for 2 years and because they're local. They don't pay a lot a first but as you stated with just 2-3 years experience you can move on to much better pay. Most places make you start out doing over-the-road where you are gone for a couple weeks ata time. I'm 6'6", would that be a problem sleeping in the cab? I have no problem being by myself for weeks on end infact I prefer it. The problem would be whether my body can withstand the beating that i've heard truck drivers endure.

If I was going to try to be a truck driver i'd probably go with Schnieder because I know they'll cover my trainging costs if I stay with them for 2 years and because they're local. They don't pay a lot a first but as you stated with just 2-3 years experience you can move on to much better pay. Most places make you start out doing over-the-road where you are gone for a couple weeks ata time. I'm 6'6", would that be a problem sleeping in the cab? I have no problem being by myself for weeks on end infact I prefer it. The problem would be whether my body can withstand the beating that i've heard truck drivers endure.

Aaron,

If you are OTR (over the road) you will be driving a "sleeper cab" truck, which has a longer wheel base than the "day cab" truck which is used for local driving. The sleeper cabs are pretty smooth, and you don't bounce around much, but the day cabs can be a bit brutal over bumpy roads. I am in a day cab, and sometimes it's like you are riding a bucking bronco. However, I have survived 6 years of this with only temporary soreness in back or neck. I'm in my 50's. As far as sleeping in a sleeper cab, I think you could probably stretch all the way out, at your height, in a sleeper cab, but without much room left over.

JG3

Last edited:
Hulu has this documentary on truck driving that one can watch free. It is mostly about interstate driving.

Big Rig (2007)

Back
Top Bottom