nm

Re: Veterans Day

A sincere and heartfelt thanks to all veterans out there. I didn't serve in the armed forces, but my dad was in the Marine Corps for nine years (World War Two, reserves, then Korea) and my long-time boyfriend was in for four.

HBO is running a special tonight called something like "Last Letters Home", recalling the last letters sent home by our fallen soldiers in Iraq. "New York Times" said it wasn't produced as a polemic. No matter how you feel about U.S. involvement in Iraq, it's supposed to be very touching. I'll be watching with my box of Kleenex at the ready.

Jarhead,

A salute to you as well!

Don't know if you caught this post. I was wondering how close you lived to this spot.

Cutthroat: I did see it, and was going to answer you, but guess I had a senior "moment".

Nice fish, by the way.

Actually, we live on the opposite side of Lassen from where you were at. (Probably about 125 miles).

I know what you mean about the temperatures. Although we get probably twice as much snow as you do at the higher elevations, it doesn't reach Minnesotta cold.
My home is at 2,000 feet, so we're pretty much out of the snow line. (I had all the heavy snow that I wanted when I was a kid.) ;)
By the way, your remark about the lake freezing over.
When i was a kid in the middle to late 40's, all the lakes at an elevation of 5,000 or more froze solid. That's not the case anymore, so there is definantly something true about "global warming". The winters are not as harsh as they used to be.
Take care, and keep the knots out of your leader.
Regards, Jarhead

Semper fi, guys!

I think there must be something to this "warming"
issue. I recall when I was a kid the river we live on
froze solid and people walked around on it. No more.
Sometimes it doesn't freeze at all. Anyway, still too damn cold to suit me :)

John Galt

There is always something new, if only a new perspective, maybe from a new poster. Fear not!
ER ideas, comments, tips, approaches, pitfalls and
prospects will never run out. Just ignore the stuff
which is redundant or tedious.

John Galt

Re: Veterans Day-FREE FOOD!

And for us vets who will take a free meal anywhere...

Golden Corral nationwide gives a free dinner for any vet every year near Veterans Day. This year it is tonight (11/15), 5pm-9pm. Their web site says you don't need to bring any documentation - just show up and tell them you are a veteran.

FREE FOOD? Is this a great country or what?

Hey Dory, always nice to have you check back in.
As you can see I am still stirring things up by being
deliberately hyperbolic and provocative. Of course,
I could achieve the same result by just being myself,
which my history amply demonstrates.

Best to you and Mrs. Dory :)

John Galt

JG, maybe you should start posting as "Hyperbolea"...

Thanks JG/hyperbolea.

Been a busy several months. Just moved into an actual house, after being basically homeless for years.

I hope to be more active shortly --

Dory36

Back
Top Bottom