Kicks on 66

Come on out to Connecticut and our little stretch of Rt 66!

Attachments

• IMG_4286.jpeg
    IMG_4286.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 16
If you make it as far as St Louis I recommend eating at Crown Candy Kitchen. It is an old fashioned soda fountain-type restaurant. Good ice cream, great ambiance, lots of specialty chocolates for sale. And if you like bacon may I suggest their "heart-stopping BLT" sandwich.

https://crowncandykitchen.net/

Wow, that brings back memories! Seconded. Also, when in STL, Ted Drewe's frozen custard!

Just spent a couple of weeks exploring northern NM and saw lots of Rte 66 signs. I learned that the original westbound Route 66 had a zig-zag that went up to Santa Fe and then down south of Albuquerque before coming back to what's now I-40. Sometime in the 1930s or 40s it was realigned to follow the current I-40 route and stay south of Santa Fe, so you have a decision to make when you pass through NM about whether to take the older or newer route.

If you decide to go through Santa Fe, there's a lot to see and do there. We enjoyed Fort Union National Monument, Pecos National Historic Park, Los Alamos, Bandelier National Monument and Valles Caldera National Preserve (getting our money's worth from that National Parks pass :)).

The Rio Grande Gorge near Taos was also spectacular in its fall colors and we even saw a couple of bighorn rams who seemed mildly curious about why we were walking on their trail.

If you do it in the fall instead of summer, and have any interest in seeing the Trinity site, it's open on the 3rd Saturday of October.

Attachments

• PXL_20231018_165416265.jpg
    PXL_20231018_165416265.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 13
A bit south of route 66, but worth the detour is crystal bridges art museum in Bentonville Arkansas.

Also, bass pro headquarters and its affiliated wonders of wildlife museum in Springfield MO is worthwhile. (And even the highway rest stop just east of Springfield on I-44, which has a decent amount of route 66 history)

Just spent a couple of weeks exploring northern NM and saw lots of Rte 66 signs. I learned that the original westbound Route 66 had a zig-zag that went up to Santa Fe and then down south of Albuquerque before coming back to what's now I-40. Sometime in the 1930s or 40s it was realigned to follow the current I-40 route and stay south of Santa Fe, so you have a decision to make when you pass through NM about whether to take the older or newer route.

If you decide to go through Santa Fe, there's a lot to see and do there. We enjoyed Fort Union National Monument, Pecos National Historic Park, Los Alamos, Bandelier National Monument and Valles Caldera National Preserve (getting our money's worth from that National Parks pass :)).

The Rio Grande Gorge near Taos was also spectacular in its fall colors and we even saw a couple of bighorn rams who seemed mildly curious about why we were walking on their trail.

If you do it in the fall instead of summer, and have any interest in seeing the Trinity site, it's open on the 3rd Saturday of October.

Yes, I mentioned I lived 40 years in southern Arizona. I've spent a lot of time all over New Mexico. It's beautiful country. I've been to most of the national parks and monuments but have not been to the most interesting ones - Bandelier and Chaco Canyon but will probably do that on a dedicated trip.

I've always wanted to visit the Trinity site but could never get away on the right weekend in October when they open it. We have a plan to go to Hiroshima in the near future (Japan is super easy from Hawaii) and next summer we'll be in Saipan for an event unrelated to history and will make a short hop over to Tinian to see North Field and the bomb pits where the atomic bombs were loaded into the Enola Gay and Bockscar. I've never been a big WWII buff but lately I'm finding it very interesting, especially the Pacific Theater. The battle of Saipan is less well known than Iwo Jima or Okinawa but was instrumental in the US establishing a runway (North Field) within B-29 range of the Japanese home islands. North Field was the busiest airport in the world during the war.

I think I was there years ago when it was on Kirtland AFB. Not sure if it's the same museum though.

Yes, it's the same, but bigger and better. They moved it off-base when they closed the base to general public access. It was first moved near Old Town Albuquerque, then moved again out to near the base. It is currently about 1 mile from one of the Kirtland AFB gates (Eubank Rd gate). I used to work at Kirtland, and did some work helping the museum.

If you like nuclear related history, there is also another good one in Los Alamos: the Bradbury Science Museum.

I've always wanted to visit the Trinity site but could never get away on the right weekend in October when they open it. We have a plan to go to Hiroshima in the near future (Japan is super easy from Hawaii) and next summer we'll be in Saipan for an event unrelated to history and will make a short hop over to Tinian to see North Field and the bomb pits where the atomic bombs were loaded into the Enola Gay and Bockscar. I've never been a big WWII buff but lately I'm finding it very interesting, especially the Pacific Theater. The battle of Saipan is less well known than Iwo Jima or Okinawa but was instrumental in the US establishing a runway (North Field) within B-29 range of the Japanese home islands. North Field was the busiest airport in the world during the war.

Slight tangent, the crew and flight training of the modified aircraft for the atomic bomb missions were done at Wendover Airfield in Wendover, UT; right near the western edge of the Bonneville Salt Flats. It's not on Rt 66, it's right at the NV/UT border on I-80. It's trying to be saved and restored, but years of neglect and lack of money add up to a big task. They are several buildings that have been restored, but many are just abandonded. There is a no cost museum and lot of neat things to see and learn about.

Yes, it's the same, but bigger and better. They moved it off-base when they closed the base to general public access. It was first moved near Old Town Albuquerque, then moved again out to near the base. It is currently about 1 mile from one of the Kirtland AFB gates (Eubank Rd gate). I used to work at Kirtland, and did some work helping the museum.

If you like nuclear related history, there is also another good one in Los Alamos: the Bradbury Science Museum.

I don't think I've been to Bradbury but I had a great uncle who worked on the Manhattan project. I was in contact every few years until he died in the late 90s. Never talked about his work though. My mom was in the compound a fair bit as a child and told me some stories.

I tried here and learned you need reservations one year in advance!
Well, you might stop and just take some pics.

We certainly did not make reservations way out but that's been forever ago.

At least "Standin' on the Corner" in Winslow, Az is a park. No reservation needed.

Route 66 from Chicago to Oklahoma

I rode my Goldwing from suburban Chicago on a Saturday (where I live) to my 5 week class in Oklahoma city. It honestly moves on and off the beaten path and at times is not well identified without a map. I started in Countryside, IL where it's actually Plainfield road, thru MO and onto OKC, and the following weekend, I rode to the National Rte 66 museum in Elk City, OK, but had to return that same Saturday.
Oftentimes, it's difficult to follow but I did my best. Fun but slowwww at times. This was in MO and Elk City, OK

Attachments

• Route 66 MO.jpg
    Route 66 MO.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Route 66 Elk City OK.jpg
    Route 66 Elk City OK.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 7
Our favorite stops:
Winslow
Seligman- Snow Cap Drive In & meeting the family
Santa Fe & National Forest (old route)
OKC - bombing memorial & land run memorial, plus a local who walked us all the way from museum to land run
Chicago - Pontiac
Lincoln’s home in Springfield IL

We could drive it again and do all different stops!

I was from New York, but I spent two years going to a small college between Springfield and Peoria. Route 66 ran practically through the middle of town. We used to hitchhike up 66 to Peoria to drink beer at the College Inn near Bradley, which would serve underage kids. I guess I qualified for that. Hard to believe it now.
I have fond memories of 66, it seemed like a road to someplace exotic and exciting.—-other than standing by the side of the road in the middle of winter waiting for cars to give us a ride, to be often the only ones who picked us up. It’s not that we went there that often but it was an exciting deal.. amazed I’m still alive. Lol.

Did the Durango/million Dollar highway thing. Other than that this was kind of new to me and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the post. I’m not going real soon bud. It was fun.

Back
Top Bottom