Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The military is being "fixed" plenty
Old 04-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The military is being "fixed" plenty

Quote:
Must be the old's-timers again <or the time>...
Next time you catch a wave with your daughter,
decide if you missed anything on that 'job interview opportunity' <or for not being promoted/continued>...
Besides, he'd probably want your pony tail on his wall, on your first day...
You didn't forget anything, the military just keeps changing the rules to meet the immediate retention crisis. A month before I departed, I was offered a chance to apply for a three-year extension at the same job. ("Needs of the Navy" contingent, of course.) It was a great ego-enhancer but it didn't offer any improvements over ER.

Sometimes the rule changes send a mixed message-- I also got a 5.7% "targeted" pay raise the January before my June retirement because some civil servant didn't take the time to fence off us deadwood O-4s. It nicely cleared out my backlog of smoldering resentment over years of substandard pay raises.

The best thing about the talk with this retired O-10 was realizing how far I've come in three years. I thoroughly enjoyed bantering WITH him, not having him talk TO me, and I didn't feel any of that ol' military senior/subordinate high-stress social pressure. "I'm really retired" was followed by "Well, not quite-- we're still parents" and "there's too much surfing out there to be working in an office".

Don't get me wrong-- he's an impressive guy who continues to do great things for the military and the community. He seems to feel a very strong commitment to service that keeps him commuting to his office well into his sixth decade of work. But I have to wonder how much of that has become tied up in his ego and a dependence on having a staff. I'd rather hang out with Rabbit Kekai (yeah, I wish).

My spouse said that a retired admiral probably enjoys talking with someone who, for a change, wasn't networking or angling for a contribution...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: My 1 on 1 with a US Congressman - Social Secur
Old 04-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back to Jimmy Carter for just a sec. He had a quote that I have paraphrased on ocassion. When asked, "What makes you think you can be president?" He answered, "I never thought I could, but when I looked around at the other candidates, I KNEW I could".

Old 04-22-2005, 09:02 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He answered, "I never thought I could, but when I looked around at the other candidates, I KNEW I could".
I think we all got what we deserved for electing a graduate of the U.S. Navy's Nuclear Power School.

My FIL has almost as many CBS stories about Jimmy Carter as he does about LBJ.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #64

Quote:
My FIL has almost as many CBS stories about Jimmy Carter as he does about LBJ.
Like C-T says, "wasting everyone's time..." Well my FIL showed me letters of his father's (a regular guy) ocassional correspondence with President Herbert Hoover. Pretty much unremarkable subject matter but he got hand written responses. Imagine the chances of that happening today.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:08 PM   #65

Wait till you hear THIS one!

I was in the O/R today with a state senator on the table! Before he goes under he starts spouting how he voted for some bill that nurse's were promoting statewide and how the damage awards in "med-mal" need caps... Anyway, like a real pol he was being pumped with anesthetics and wouldnt go down!!!!! By the time we started to be really astonished with his BS power, he closed his mouth then his eyes but he continuted to wave his index finger, trying to drive home some point lost in the fog.
What a stumper!
Old 04-23-2005, 06:28 AM   #66

Well, I read through this entire thread, and some of you seem to be pretty hard on the president. Reforming social security is actually pretty straightforward:

"Because the -- all which is on the table begins to address the big cost drivers. For example, how benefits are calculate, for example, is on the table; whether or not benefits rise based upon wage increases or price increases. There's a series of parts of the formula that are being considered. And when you couple that, those different cost drivers, affecting those -- changing those with personal accounts, the idea is to get what has been promised more likely to be -- or closer delivered to what has been promised.

Does that make any sense to you? It's kind of muddled. Look, there's a series of things that cause the -- like, for example, benefits are calculated based upon the increase of wages, as opposed to the increase of prices. Some have suggested that we calculate -- the benefits will rise based upon inflation, as opposed to wage increases. There is a reform that would help solve the red if that were put into effect. In other words, how fast benefits grow, how fast the promised benefits grow, if those -- if that growth is affected, it will help on the red...."

-President George W. Bush
Tampa Convention Center
2/4/05

Old 04-23-2005, 06:39 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

? So GWB remembers Margret Thacher ? Didn't the Brits already do that?
Old 04-23-2005, 07:50 AM   #68

unclemick2, so GWB is recalling Thatcher? Well, that clarifies everything!

(I find that if I squint when I read his explanation until everything gets blurry, it starts to make perfect sense.)
Old 04-24-2005, 06:48 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Many times the Federal government as argued in front of the Supreme Court (and it seems they mostly agree) that Federal law supercedes state and local law (a.k.a. Federal laws against segregation trumping any local or state law in the South). Is it the conspicuous silence or the fact that it is worded, in a negative rather than a positive (i.e. if it said, "YOU have the right to bear arms.")
Ah, the supremacy clause. It reads "This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding." U.S. Const. art. VI, Paragraph 2

This means that the Constitution always trumps state laws that conflict with the Constitution and laws enacted pursuant to the Constitution. For example, the Constitution gives the federal government the power to enact bankruptcy laws. If the feds wanted to it could tell states that they could not allow their citizens to exempt their property from creditors. However, instead the federal government in the bankruptcy code specifically allows states to have exemptions.

One of the biggest sources of federal law is the commerce clause (which allows congress to regulate commerce among the states and with foreign governments) Often times Congress oversteps its bounds in saying a law was enacted in the regulation of commerce. Congress always has to justify a law is permitted under the Constitution.

Amendments to the Constitution were enacted to either limit what the federal government can do or to increase its powers. The second amendment limits what the federal government can do and has no effect on the states or private entities.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, commerce was the area of abuse I had heard of. Thanks for the answer, it sounds like general feel of it, just not the why's or wherefores. Ah the internet, where else can you get pro bono Constitutional Scholarly consultation?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:36 PM   #71
Confused about dryer sheets

There is no $ in a 'trust fund', only iou's. when you ask the govt. to leave the trust fund alone you are about 68 years to late-the $ coming in from our fdic tax has been going to pay current debts scince then. it's just a giant ponzi scheme.
The only way to stop this is to allow workers to own thier own accts. the same as a 401k.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #72

Quote:
There is no $ in a 'trust fund', only iou's. when you ask the govt. to leave the trust fund alone you are about 68 years to late-the $ coming in from our fdic tax has been going to pay current debts scince then. it's just a giant ponzi scheme.
Sure - Just like Treasury Bonds or U. S. Curency for that matter. - Did you get your information from the Rush Limbaugh program
Old 04-25-2005, 07:59 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The only way to stop this is to allow workers to own thier own accts. the same as a 401k.
Scotty? Oh great...who the heck is watching the engines?!?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:31 PM   #74

Sure - Just like Treasury Bonds or U. S. Curency for that matter. - Did you get your information from the Rush Limbaugh program

No not from Rush. Just history and common sense. FDR abandonded the origional program where they actually saved your money for you because of a recession( i think it was in 1937). He promised to return the $ to the 'trust' as soon as they could. They never did and they never have.

There's nothing in the 'trust fund' but promises.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #75

Scotty? Oh great...who the heck is watching the engines

good one th!. I was just drifing through this gallaxy. The discussion 'fired up my engines'. I hope i don't need deflector shields

Old 04-30-2005, 05:15 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Let's hope the debate rages on for a while.

Thinking of taking early SS in August - with auto deduct to Vanguard er ah ?Wellesley? - before the line, run on the bank gets too bad!

heh, heh, heh.

Look to British history - I believe their problems, 'rough patch,' started in the 70's.

We already have the 'back door tax' on SS. I expect the Roth loophole will be closed if the going gets rough.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: My 1 on 1 with a US Congressman - Social Security

First!!!

Unclemick2 - I signed up in Feb for SS @ 62 - will get my first SS check on May 27!

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:18 PM   #78

Be 62 less than 2 weeks. Signed up for early ss; was told by the local yokel that I would get it 3rd week in July. Looked on the SSA site yesterday and checked on it. Site told me no decision has been made on my application. Gonna call them tomorrow, although they're probably just slow.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP
I signed up in Feb for SS @ 62 - will get my first SS check on May 27!
I'm retiring on May 27 and hope to be getting my first SS check in only 2,954 1,311 days! (DW has almost 3K days, not me. Never thought about this when I went for a younger woman!)

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #80
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWanabe
I'm retiring on May 27*
I still remember when I got to under 30 days.

You're pretty much retired already, I suspect!

Congrats!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote